TrayTip plugin - v0.2.0

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Re: TrayTip plugin - v0.2.0

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 pm

I trying to install 0.2.0 and get this errors:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
  File "wx\_core.pyc", line 16766, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\NamedPipe.py", line 211, in run_command
    res[0] = command(*d)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\PluginInstall.py", line 169, in Import
    shutil.rmtree(info.path, False)
  File "shutil.pyc", line 252, in rmtree
  File "shutil.pyc", line 250, in rmtree
WindowsError: [Error 5] : u'C:\\ProgramData\\EventGhost\\plugins\\TrayTip\\icon.png'
Sin©erely yours, Neytrino.

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 am

Install went fine here. But I had older versions installed before that. Looks like something is going wrong with the icon. Do you see it in the mentioned path?
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 am

Yeah, I deleted folder and new version was installed successful! All works as it should! Thanks Boolean263 for the great plugin and all others for help.

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 am

Some strange things, couple days ago, it just stops working (perhaps some Windows 10 updates have broken something.?)

07:14:15   ---> Welcome to EventGhost <---
07:14:23   TrayTip: "12345" (12345) u'12345'
07:14:23      TrayTip: "12345" (12345) u'12345'
07:14:23         07:14:23: 0 MainMessageReceiver: MyWndProc unknown wParam:: 0x0010
07:14:23   TrayTip.Show.12345 u"12345"
07:14:23   TrayTip.TimedOut.12345 u"12345"
It doesn't show tip, doesn't play a sound and immediately creates an event: TrayTip.TimedOut.*

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Hmm, works for me. Win 10 (Version 1703 Build 15063.608)

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 pm

topix, maybe you have several ideas how to localize a probleфm?
I tried:
Reinstallation of a plugin
Reinstallation of EG
Creation of a clean profile
- no changes...

My build of Win 10 Pro is 15063.632

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

While testing i clicked in the notification area to disable notification from eventghost. Now I don't get the notification, but EG shows the log because the message was really send. (Open %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications\wpndatabase.db-wal in notepad or other fileviewer and search for your message)
Normaly you can change in system settings what apps should show notifaction, but eventghost doesn't show up. Haven't find a way to bring it back.Here are three tips. I tried the first, but no success. The second/third one i don't want to try, as they could remove/damage the tiles in start menu.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi,

thanks for this plugin, it's simple but great and useful !! ;)

I was wondering if there was any plan to add a feature to make the notification persistent, i.e. that stays in the notification center until the user clicks on it ? This way we won't miss any notification.

Thank you.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Hey there , using this neet plugin for years ..
I was recently wondering if its possible to have the notifcation display text with newlines of brakepoints I define ?

text - 1
text - 2
text - 3

text - 1 /n
text - 2 /n
text - 3

It displays newlines when you put in alot of text ...
I could count the characters to know where the breakpoints are ... but it would be nice if there would be a newline command

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

I am not sure if the number of characters are what is used in determining where the break points are. I am almost willing to bet it's not. The tra notifications are not something that is "custom" drawn. It is a feature supplied by the OS. There for we have no control over where these breakpoints occur.

We would need to reverse engineer the process that is used in determining where the breakpoints occur. And this is how you would go about doing that.

activate a notification and in the message put in a slew of W's (capital letter). count the number of letters before the break point occurs. then do the exact same thing except with a slew of .'s count the number of '.'s until the break point occurs. If the number is the same as the W's then it is using a count. I am betting it is not going to be the same. which means it is using character extent (character width) to determine when to break. This is where is gets complicated now. If it is using the character width you are then going to need to change resolutions on the monitor and run the same test and see if the break points change. If they do then do this test with a few resolutions. Make sure you keeping notes of the resolutions and number of characters for each. This is going to allow us to reverse engineer the notification area size being used based on the display size and once we have that then we can do an extent test on the added text in order to know how many spaces would need to be used in order to replace a newline character in order to give the appearance that a newline character has been used.

The other thing you can do is you can try using a program like spy++. spy++ is included with Visual Studio. another is Window Inspector this will be able to give you information about the notification box that pops up. You can get things like width and height of the notification area. This would also help in reverse engineering the math used when writing text to the notification area.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:53 pm

OK so scratch all of that crap in my last post.

I will be releasing a new version of this that allows for multi line notifications in a few hours.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 pm

That would be nice.
Idk if you could configure the display time of the notifaction / make it persisetent clickable ...
Might be useful ... Though not really neccecary ...

Basicly I want to pass a string with breakpoint to the tray tip.

I quickly googled the python syntax of newlines "/" ... which works in the eventghost OSD show plugin to create newlines.

but it still displays the "/" which looks kinda ugly :D

I wanted to dispaly the outpuit data like this

Name - Title : 12:00pm
Name - Title2 : 12:00pm
Name - Title3 : 12:00pm

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 am

OK so the plugin has been updated to support multiple messages.

You have the ability to add the time to the messages yourself. We do not have the ability to make the messages persistent. That is something that may be able to be done through the "Ease of Use" settings in Control panel. Look for Notification Timeout. Commonly setting a 0 for a setting like that will make it persistent.

In order to add the current timestamp You will want to add a script to your Autostart group and in that script add the following code
All this does is create a global function that will return the current time all nice and formatted for you. We only need the script to run a single time when EG starts up. after that we can use eg.globals.get_time() from anywhere inside of EventGhost

import time

def get_time():
    return time.strftime('%c'. time.localtime())

eg.globals.get_time = get_time
when you make a new notification action in the message box you will want to type in

{eg.globals.get_time() + """
Message Line 1
Message Line 2"""}
remember the curly braces before and after. The curly braces tells the plugin to have the string evaluated as a python expression. you MUST use 3 opening and closing double quotes if you want to use multiple lines.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 am

where can i find it ?
Where did you upload it ?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:47 am

I did..
Check the first post.

I want to try and keep updates to plugins on the first post.