killer pvr software

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: killer pvr software

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 pm

and MP can't play encrypted bluerays?? since when?? I think you need to install something like that program from SlySoft and you have to mount the BD disk and the files will be decrypted.. I cannot remember exactly how to do it. I know that I am able to watch BD disks from MP at my house..

I actually have 5 HTPC's all in one place in my house with HDMI cables that run to the TV. I set up a raspberry pi at each TV and have virtualhere installed on the HTPC and the P. this does a USB over IP so when i plug in anythign into the USB ports on the raspberry it will show up as being plugged in to that HTPC. so I can move around a portable BD player and I have done this and it works without issue. I set up that Raspberry pi thing mainly for use with RetroArch and the jumble of came console controllers I have for matching the console that the game I am playing belongs to. this allows me to play the games from any TV in the house. But it has proved useful for plugging in a mouse and keyboard or a memory card reader to view photos or play media off of...
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Well yes, I could go the AnyDVD route, which I think is the SlySoft program you're referring to.

I've read the latest forums on that and there seem to be people having problems with newer discs / different types of encryption and I can't afford the wife disapproval of not being able to play a disc because "something's not right".

Besides AnyDVD costs €109 these days (I think there was something free way back in the day) so for that money I can just buy PowerDVD (and have some change left over) and I know it works.

I'm working on keeping it simple.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 am

I was reading up on this as well. Someone mentioned being able to add the PowerDVD codec to Media Portal. I do not know if this would work or not. If they have the encryption bits built into the decoder it should work.

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

Yeah - I've tried that before on earlier versions of MediaPortal. I haven't tried it recently in my new build. I didn't have any success. It is certainly true that you can specify different codecs within MediaPortal and choose the PowerDVD one if you have it installed. It seemed though (although I confess I don't understand how DVD and Bluray decoding works) that the PowerDVD codec worked within MediaPortal but it didn't do the decryption on Blurays.

I gave up in the end (perhaps too soon) but as we've discussed, with the power of EG, I can just switch programs and windows and switch remote button mappings at will depending on what I'm doing so that seems the easiest and most reliable way forward.

If you're around Kevin and you have a copy of the Samsung TV plugin handy can you pop it on the forum somewhere? I think I can probably do most of what I need through CEC - given that I'm not using the TV for anything much other than as a monitor but it might be a way to control Netflix.

So here's another question. Currently I have Netflix available through any number of routes - my Samsung TV, through another PVR / DVB-T set top box that I'm trying to get rid of and through my Media PC either in the Netflix app or in a broswer. No-one at MediaPortal has seen fit to develop a Netflix plugin as far as I am aware. Browsers don't support 5.1 surround sound; the Netflix app is one of the worst UIs imaginable - it just sucks - it has no keyboard shortcuts so controlling it with EG through a 10ft interface with a remote is not feasible although this http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/ might yet be some help - I'll investigate that soon. I'm trying to get rid of my other set top box (not least because it has a habit of crashing, refuses to allow a custom order of channels (doh!) and has neither CEC support nor discrete remote codes) so my current best option is to watch Netflix through the TV's app and I was wondering if the plugin would help me do that by having some awareness of what app was running or even being able to specify and run a particular app by control over the network. I live in hope.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am

well the Samsung plugin is still a work in progress.

But I do have a question.. what is the model number of your TV??

If it is a newer TV how about this for control... If you have an android device kicking about. I can use the gyroscope and accelerator in that device that when pointed at the TV screen it will move a mouse cursor on the TV.. So what you will end up with is an "air mouse" that allows you to navigate the TV's Netflix application.

This is all theoretical at the moment I know I am able to control a PC in this manner and I know that I am also able to move the mouse on a Samsung TV. I am going to have to get the translation correct between the 2, it should work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just started working with someone with setting up a VPN so I can use their TV in order to test against.. I have a Samsung TV from 2011 I think so it doesn't help me to get the connection specific bits for the newer ones sorted out.

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm

I did think my TV was reasonably new but when I think about it properly and put it into the context of other events in my life it is definitely pre 2013 so it's not a recent model. It does screeen casting, DLNA and has a smart hub but clearly it's not post 2016. I think it's an E series if memory serves, which would make it 2012.

No worries. I'll test out that Netflix app control and see if I can make sense of running the Netflix app directly on the MediaPC. Then the TV is really just a monitor and I can largely forget about it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm

E is good G and H not so much.. and everything after that is also ok.. The G and H models have this really messed up encryption and pin authentication process. and it doesn't really offer that much in the way of control other then the remote and the limited UPNP.

A up to E are the best in terms of what can be controlled and what information can be used to trigger events... But unfortunately they didn't start using the mouse control until 2016 I believe. that is when they switched to the Tinzen OS. I would have to look that portion up again.. But I think it is correct...

It is really easy to tell.. If you download a port scanner and scan the TV you should have port 9000 open on it.

I know there is a NetFlix plugin for MediaPortal I do not know if and how well it works.