Snapstream Firefly remote not working. (!!SOLUTION FOUND!!)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
topix
Experienced User

Re: Snapstream Firefly remote not working. (!!SOLUTION FOUND!!)

Post by topix » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm

I too have the firefly and used it with Win10, but i can't remember if i really installed the snapstream basic drivers or windows just installed x10 drivers that also worked.

Just now plugged the receiver. No driver were installed by windows. Via device manager i let windows search online, a driver were downloaded + installed. But the X10-plugin in EG could not find a driver. Then i run the setup i've attached above (firefly_drvs.zip). During setup i've got an error, but it seems something were installed because now the plugin in EG could be started without error and i get events when pressing buttons on my remote.
X10_USB_Wireless_Transceiver.jpg

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm

I believe what was taking place is the same issue we have been having with the driver signing. except this kind of worked in your favor..

The installation of the "windows drivers" put all of the registry bits in place and install the drivers.. but there is something wrong with the actual files. the generic ones you may be getting the error because of driver signing. but because all of the registry bits are in place the generic files are without error and have been put into place. This is the only scenario which i could come up with as to why it is working.

whatever the reason is it's good to have it now documented.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Ok guys, so do you think I should attempt a win10 install again on my mac to see if it will now work with the "old" firefly drivers Topic has uploaded?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 pm

I would download virtual box and install it on that and run it on your mac. see if it goes well that way.

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Thx, yes that should be a better option so I would not need to have to reinstall OSX to use Bootcamp.tomorrow I will looking into using VB for this experiment.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 pm

I know you were looking into parallels I would check with them and see what VM Disks they are able to load off of. This way if everything works as advertised then you can keep using that Windows 10 installation and simply have parallels load it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm

But in the event you do want to install the OS without the use of a VM. You CAN do it without having to reinstall OSX and you do not need to use bootcamp either (well only to make the bootable usb for the windows installation)

http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/1 ... -bootcamp/

The author of that blog explains why bootcamp has some serious issues. I think it's done to make OSX appear to be faster then Windows (you will know the reason for that comment when you do some reading on that page)

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Thx for that link, will refer back to it after this experiment is done. I am trying the free trial of Parallels so I have 13 days to complete this experiment.

So I tried installing both my firefly dirvers and the one Topix uploaded here, both drivers show the same error below when I attempt to install them in win10:

https://s8.postimg.cc/424ytzvkl/IMAG0133.jpg

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 pm

OK you are at the point with the divers this is where topix is going to be of more help. since he is the one that got them running.

tip of the day:
you can attach pictures directly to a forum post. drag and drop when writing the post. and then place them inline.

it looks like you took that image with a cell phone. I am not sure if you have these buttons on a mac keyboard. but... print screen (prtscr, prntscr) will capture the current whole screen to clipboard. use paint to paste it down then save it. drag and drop the file onto a post.

you can also use Alt+print screen this will only capture the window that is active

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Yeah thx, will do.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:37 pm

mikehende wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm
So I tried installing both my firefly dirvers and the one Topix uploaded here, both drivers show the same error below when I attempt to install them in win10:
That's the error i've got and mentioned in my previous post.

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh wait, i think I had misunderstood. I had thought you were able to use the firefly driver with win10.

If not then no worries,