Experimental EG Icons in Grande, Venti & Teeny-Tiny...

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.

Want Do You Think? / Vote Your Opinion

They Look Like A Young Rachel From "Friends" Walking Towards Me After Watching "The Prom" Video
No votes
They Have A Great Personality Like Phoebe
No votes
They Look Like Danny Devito, In Batman Returns
No votes

Total votes: 0

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Experimental EG Icons in Grande, Venti & Teeny-Tiny...

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 am

he looks sad.... IDK about you but I think the ghost should show a little more upbeat expression.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 am
he looks sad.... IDK about you but I think the ghost should show a little more upbeat expression.
HappyKGhost.png
HappyKGhost.png (27.31 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Showed him my picture of your wife. :mrgreen:

I'll work on it... Ludicrously Ecstatic Ghost...

Could you bless me with an A or B side vote, thanks, and I love you.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:51 am

first one is good just change the expression. not add a mouth. you have to change the shape of the eyes. I think. IDK it could just be me.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I think Its better without the mouth also. Keep it transparent, and maybe add version that has some gloss to it. If you want to represent plugins without the quilt, maybe add some wires or a plug to the side of him.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 pm

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm

anyone know if SpaceGhost is public domain yet??

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:14 pm

@KG ..."Spaceghost"? I didn't even know Spaceghost was called Spaceghost, you've severely dated yourself KG, and I'm older than you (pretty sure). What the hell were his powers, his name gives nothing away.
I've dated myself even more, in a literal fashion, see you thought my v.1 ghost had sad eyes, meanwhile I was overly impressed with myself that they were actually tweaking fingers making up eyeballs.

Maybe what I should ask everyone is do they care that the tray and logo don't match whatsoever, it's always bothered me.
Meanwhile, let me peddle my version.1 green-ish tray ghost solution, download version icon pack 0.2 from the first post. I think everyone is still loading the old version.
Ghost 192px-D5.png
Ghost 192px-D5.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Ghost 192px-D7.png
Ghost 192px-D7.png (7.39 KiB) Viewed 755 times
How are these outlines? The lower image is darken for clarity, perhaps try dragging or saving the top image to get a better idea of the coloring I'm experimenting with.

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am

I like for new version.

This happened to be in my rss feed today. I think it needs to be 1923 or before. Don't think space ghost is that old. "Space ghost, coast to coast" https://lifehacker.com/these-1923-copyr ... 1825241296

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:45 am

@kg
just wondering, if we ever do get to icon packs, can they be packaged in a .egplugin, or are we going to need something else? Not that it's hard now...
Also can the .egplugin icon be unplugged from the executable? Seems the only one not in there. Again, not that it's not easy, but one should always prepare for those that know even less than me, those that forget to breathe.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 am

we would make a different extension to identify the icon pack. like .egiconpack or .egicons. all it would be is a zip file with a different extension. the same as how the egplugin files are. there would be an info file in it with the meta data for the icon pack. we would have to add an icon pack directory to %programdata%\eventghost to store the uncompressed icon packs. But what we need to do is to organize the icons by size. right now EG has everything thrown into one folder and are varying sizes. We need to build in a mechanism for plugins to be able to supply icons of different sizes. I personally do not like the current setup of base64 encoding the icon data and having a really long string of text in the plugins __init__ file. this simply makes it harder to update it.

I am for having a setup where the icons for a plugin would be stored in an icons folder and packaged with the plugin the icons for the plugin it's self would be named pluginbase and could be any format they wanted to use. bmp, jpg, gif, png, tiff whatever it doesn't matter. in the event the plugin created wanted to supply plugins for the actions then the icon for an action would be named the same as the action. If the created wanted to supply additional sizes like 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 (would be the sizes we would use) then they would create folders with those exact names. and put the appropriate files in them. in the event the creator didn't include a size then the size that is below it would be used.

The reason for using the size below it would be that if we used the one above it and resized the image then there would only be a need to create a single size 128x128. the issue with that is having to resize all of the icons for every plugin a user has installed would create a resource burden on EG. and this we do not want. we want to have the creator make all of the sizes.

about a year and a half ago i made a version of EG that does all of these things. but since i have improved in my programming skills i would re write it but i already know all of the mechanics involved which is going to make it easier to do.

I would have to look into how to make a different icon get used for a different extension associated to a specific program.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:00 am

OK so as it turns out it is extremely simple to assign an icon to a specific file type and application as well. we can give the user the ability to change the EG icon if they want to. as well as the icons for any other file extension associated with EG.

so that's cool.