Can I use the EG Webserver plugin to publish m3u lists

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jachin99
Experienced User

Can I use the EG Webserver plugin to publish m3u lists

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 pm

I am testing out various DVB link/IPTV combinations so that I can watch channels from my HD Homerun Prime via IPTV on any client. I have generated a m3u Playlist of a few channels, and I would like to publish this list via the EG webserver plugin. Is this possible? I just need some webserver to store this playlist on, and because I use EG quite a bit I figured it was a good starting point. I'm only looking for LAN connectivity

yokel22
Experienced User

Re: Can I use the EG Webserver plugin to publish m3u lists

Post by yokel22 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm

When you say publish. Do you mean [1], display items in the m3u? Or [2], store the items for retrieval? If it's the latter. Store the m3u file in the web servers root folder. Then you can access it from any pc via html link like this.

'IP:Port/filename.m3u'

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm

I was looking to store them for retrieval but it would also be nice to be able to play them from the web page's menu. Is there some simple way to accomplish this? Would it only display a m3u file or would i be able to select from the available files within the m3u list?

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

It's eg anything's possible. I'd have to see a sample m3u playlist, but it wouldn't take a lot to get a ui for it going. I use a hdhomerun for ota broadcasts. What are you using to build the playlist?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:18 pm

http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php

I'm attempting to basically do what is in this post. If I'm successful im thinking I could consolidate my cable and web sources into a single m3u stream and use whatever media center software to view it. Being able to view the streams in a browser based program like the EG webserver would be the icing on the cake.

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm

That link is truncated. Did you mean this topic? http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18013

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm

http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28963 Try this one. That topic you linked isn't it. Mine talks about publishing all of the channels from an HD Homerun Prime to a web server, and then broadcasting them with DVP link IPTV software.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 pm

this is what i suggest.. instead of screwing around with playlists. you can create a script that say once a day will send out an ssdp packet the packet should be formatted like so

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
MX: 10
ST: urn:schemas-opencable-com:service:Tuner:1
HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
MAN: "ssdp:discover"

and sent to 239.255.255.250:1900 via UDP

Your hdhomerun prime will respond with connection details for every single channel that is available on your prime. Now that you have that information it becomes very easy to build a page you can either embed the stream into or simply provide the links
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

KG, if I were to do this, I'm not sure my PVR Clients (WMC, or maybe DVB LInk, IDK Yet) would be able to consume the stream. I'm not sure how I would go about embeding that playlist into webpage yet either. That sounds really simple but I'm not sure I understand, and I don't know if I'll have to transcode yet either. I'm guessing this would be sent as a .TS stream?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 pm

with an HD Home Run (I own one ass well) You have the ability to use a player (that supports network streams) to connect to a specific channel.

How the HD Home Run works is it broadcasts every channel that is available on different ports. so as an example say your HDHR is ip address 192.168.1.5. to view a channel. say HBO or whatever the network address would be 192.168.1.5:6000 and for ABC 192.168.1.5:6001. This is all pseudo these are not the real ports. But you should be able to view the ports broadcasted on by connecting to the HDHR using your browser.

Depending on what plugins you have installed into your browser you may or may not be able to view the channels from within the browser it's self. But a program like VLC (video lan) will have no issues viewing them.

I have a really dumb question... why are you doing this? WMC supports the HDHR and there are many other PVR solutions that do as well. Media Portal being he only one I know of that properly supports centralized PVR and tuner blocking. If you use WMC you can access the thing just like if it was a tuner directly installed in your computer. same goes for most other PVR's

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm doing this as a kind of experiment, so that I might some day be able to achieve one or both of these goals. Goal 1 is WMC in windows 10 doesn't support cable card tuners. By broadcasting the streams over HTTP (I think), I can use something like DVB Link's WMC client to view channels from a cablecard tuner in WMC on WIndows 10. Goal two pertains more to me because I don't use WMC 10. I would like to consolidate most of my TV/Internet Viewing sources into some TV guide in WMC. I don't have the technical abilities to modify the guide myself but I might be able to use a little bit of what I can figure out with third party programs to get internet sources into the stock WMC guide OR whatever guide the DVB Link client uses. I know some IP TV servers broadcast MPEG 2 streams in a TS container. WMC is compatable with TS files but I believe they have to be placed in a certain library, or some other conditions in order for WMC to know what they are. I don't plan to use WMC forever, and I have and Emby server as well but I change my mind, and I like to experiment thus. There are DVB clients for almost everything out there, thus I'm looking to broadcast my HD Homerun Prime channels on a web server for consumption in various media center programs on various devices around my house.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm

On a high level, when a client video player is pointed to this webserver, does it parse the files in the EG webserver folder and look for media in the format it has been configured for?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

all you would do is to provide a link to the ip:port that hosts a specific channel.