EG Problem at startup

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
PooFox

Re: EG Problem at startup

Post by PooFox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 am

Ha well I appreciate the concern, but I wouldn't think of bothering you with such biz, especially not here on the EG forums. Yea I haven't been in the computer realm quite so long, but I surely do remember those floppy floppies and all the associated noises...But this was actually the most painless OS install I've done to date, because of my totally anal file management. On Win98 I can't even count the times I had to do it. It was fun the first few times, but now I'm scarred for life and avoid it at all costs, so I think I understand your "mission." But yea, everything I know about computers is from breaking things by tinkering too much and having to fix them. Once I had to reinstall Windows 95 from like 20 3.5'' disks.

I'm familiar with x360ce, but it's not necessary in my setup. Actually that was one of the apps I was messing with when I screwed the whole pooch.
In my desperation not to reinstall I ended up removing the entire driver class for the Xbox controller via command line (kinda by accident) and that was the tipping point for me.

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:37 am
what timers are you talking about?

But all of these use threads and in no way should cause EG to hang. or if you are using wait for a period longer then 5 seconds that will cause a hang also.
Yea there are 3 10 second timers with the Timer plugin, so if the taskbar icon is red (during the countdown) I'll get EG to hang if I try to do anything in the program. I thought they would all wait at once, but they wait in succession. Still, when EG hangs, it doesn't come back unless I kill it or reboot. I was just looking for a different wait method that would allow other things to happen during the wait, but I can probably just tweak my config so there is only one wait for all the actions instead of one for each.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:17 pm

I just tested the plugin and I can't seem to get it to hang at all. I would need to see your save file to determine what's going on.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:24 pm

and the xbox controller driver set (xinput) can be reinstalled by installing the directx SDK (just in case ya do it again :shock: LOL).

Thats how I got into working with computers. I would break my fathers and then hurry to try and fix it before he found out.. but this was during the days of the BBS before the internet was anything big and was only text based. so there was no help there. it was a whole lot of trial and error. Before the glorious days of Windows 3.1.

20 3.5" disks HA! Try installing Windows NT or OS2 from 40ish of those bastards and always hopping that one of the disks didn't have an issue (which almost always happened right close to the end)

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 pm

I can get it to hang reliably when I close Reaper: https://www.reaper.fm/
If I just start double clicking items in the configuration randomly while that's happening, it will hang on my system every time. I probably need to go through and weed out all the stuff I don't need anymore, but lemme know if it crashes for you or you see anything suspicious.

Yea troubleshooting computer problems before the internet was fun, eh? People have it so easy now. I almost kinda miss asking everyone I met the same questions in search of elusive info...
Attachments
Default.xml
(30.73 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 pm

there is nothing in your tree that is using that timer plugin.

Without an example of how you have it set up using the timer plugin i cannot tell you what to do or how to fix it.

I can tell you your tree does a whole lot of jumping about. I am going to see if i can simplify it a bit for ya, if it's ok with you???

Still send me a copy of your tree with the timer actions in place so I know what you are trying to use them for.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

OK I am thinking i got an understanding of what you were trying to do. so I went ahead and modified your tree. there are some things you are going to have to do. so be sure to read the notes in the scripts I added they should direct you.

Be sure not to overwrite your save file. download this one into a different directory!!!!

If you have any questions/problems let me know.
Attachments
Default.xml
(32.17 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 pm
there is nothing in your tree that is using that timer plugin.
Haha, really? :oops: So the wait action doesn't even need it eh? Well I do appreciate you having a look, I'll have a look at the changes now, thanks!

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 am

Ok, so I guess I threw you off with the comments about the Xbox controller...separate (and no longer an) issue. :) The plan was to run MIDI-Ox, Automap, and the Maschine service only when I run Reaper, and reset MIDI-Ox when I connect my Maschine via usb (or MIDI-Ox won't "see" it and perform the MIDI translations it needs to). The waiting was to ensure I'm actually done using Reaper when I quit (not just a quick restart) before closing all the apps (as they tend to throw a bunch of popups onscreen and it's very annoying if I'm just trying to get back to work) and also MIDI-Ox and Reaper need to wait until the Maschine service is actually running before launching (I enable/disable the service for Maschine otherwise its always lit up, even when I'm not using it).

The Ableton stuff I needed to tweak but it basically needed the same setup as Reaper.

I had a mix of Task and Process monitoring, because for whatever reason, sometimes only one or the other would trigger an event when I launch/close Reaper and it didn't seem to cause any problems to use both. Probably I just don't understand the difference.

I really wish I had the inclination and motivation to learn script, as Reaper provides a plethora of API for scripts in Lua, Eel and Python. I've been using EG all these years because I didn't really have to learn anything technical, but of course it would simplify things (and complicate them) if I did...I can navigate the scripts OK, but I'll have to study the tree to understand the logic of what's going on now, in case I need to modify it later.

At any rate, you don't really need to mess about with my config unless it's fun for you, because EG would only hang when I tried to make modifications while it was "waiting" and I've gotten into the habit of avoiding that. I just thought it might be a bug, so I wanted to mention it. Thanks once again for all your help!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 am

EG only runs one macro at a time unless you code a script to do it. so while that macro is running another event/macro cannot take place. so the excessive waits would cause events to get queued also EG will lock up if the wait period is to long greater then 3 seconds is a good figure to use. So the use of wait if wanting to wait a long period of time is not a good idea. The other thing is if you need to have events come in waiting for them is not going to work unless you script in to check for events a specific way.

That's a good idea tho. maybe I will create a couple of new actions.

The tree I attached is actually very basic. The script at the top of the autostart macro is what places various functions into eg.globals so it can be accessed from any python script. One of these functions creates an eg.globals.wait. this wait is a threaded wait and is non blocking and will not stall EG

how it works is if you want to use it. create your macro like you would normally. then copy each of the actions as python and paste it into a python script.
You need to create the callback function. The callback function is basically a container for code that you can run at any time and that container gets passed to eg.globals.wait

Code: Select all

# your callback function that you want run

def callback():
	print 'this would be your actions getting run'

# here is where we tell the wait function the amount
# of time to wait and the code container we want it to run
# after the time has expired

eg.globals.wait(10.0, callback)