IMPERCEPTOR plugin for EventGhost (media content filter)

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: IMPERCEPTOR plugin for EventGhost (media content filter)

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

If you can do me a favor. and move this to the plugin support Thread. I think it would be found easier by the users if it was located there..

I do appreciate it.

And i do have to say WOW! this is one hell of an accomplishment. it's a great addition to EG. and thank you for spending the enormity of time it must have taken to write this. I would normally give a run through the code. but this is way to involved a plugin for me to even know where to begin LOL.

Thank you for your contribution
K
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 pm

also. I noticed there was some issue with windows 10 and EG. a lot of problems have been sorted out in version 0.5 of EG. But if you happen across something we have not caught yet. please do not hesitate to inform us of the problem. we work very quickly at getting bugs sorted out. the EventGhost repository link near the top of this forum will bring you to the best location to post a bug report.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Please forgive me, but i don't see it as a plugin. It offers no actions and triggers no events. It looks like as the plugin just uses EventGhost for it's GUI. So what's the reason to use it with EventGhost? Can you examples?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:57 pm

I can see where @topix is going with this. You could add an event if a censored word comes up. That could be beneficial. I am not sure if your system "reads ahead" by only a word or 2 if this can be achieved or is already possible then having an event take place that has the word in it can be done simply.

Now if you also add an action which will allow a single instance of a word to go by without being muted.. one could then drag the event into a macro. add the action to bypass the word. in your action you would program into the __call__ method parsing of eg.event.string (or you can set the word as a payload and access it from eg.event.payload) so your software will let that specific word go by but only for that one time.

This would add an enormity in the flexibility department. so as an example if there is a movie that is playing that has the words "pussy willow" in it. if you do a global censor of the word pussy then the movie sounds/reads incorrectly. so if you generate an event for censored words including the movie title. the user can then drag and drop that movie title that has the pussy in the event and there for would not mute it.

As diligent as we all are it is impossible to account for every single variation like the above word combination. It looks like you have done a remarkable job but things do get by us even tho we do try to account for every possible scenario. so giving the user the drag and drop interface to exclude specific words for specific movie titles would be that proverbial cherry on top. And it would also reduce you having to account for all possible variations which I would imagine when all added up would take a significant amount of time and also make your data pretty large in scale.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 pm

now you mention cross platform. this is one of those things in which EG is not. it is a windows only piece of software. We do want to make it cross platform and it is something we do plan to do. At the point when we get some more developers on board this is one of those things we will spearhead. It is going to involve an almost 100% rewrite of EG which is a very scary thing (Netscape) we have to work 2 fold in maintaining what we have currently as we are also writing a new version. This is to much work for the number of people that we currently have working on the project. as dedicated as we are. we do also have wives and children that need attention as well as have to provide for them. EG is a volunteer thing. we do receive donations from time to time. But it is only enough to keep the bills paid for the server and hosting. not enough for a payroll.

I can see your piece of software going far as there is nothing that I am aware of that does anything like it. if you do develop a cross platform interface for it stay away from wxPython. as much as it states cross platform it is mainly designed for the Windows OS and allows for running on other platforms. and in recent years wxPython has stalled in the development department. and if you have a bug with it, it could be a decade before it gets addressed.

If we could roll back time and change the choice in using wxPython we would in a heartbeat. Because it is so woven into the core code it is not something that we can simply "swap" for something else.

I do believe that your software can be put to great use coupled with EG. if you were to add the events with the bypass action I believe that it can lessen the workload on yourself while giving the user a very easy mechanism to control what they deem censored or not. you can use this same mechanism to create the filter files as well.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:52 pm

no worries. through the use of the events and a filter exclusion action you will be able to allow the user to dd back in whatever it is they want.

as an example. Every parent has a list of "no no" words for their kids. and these lists are not the same between families. while one may consider it profanity another may consider it acceptable. This will give the flexibility to add back in whatever it is the parent would want. The cherry! It makes it far easier on you because you do not have the need to create some mechanism to handle this. it makes it really simple for the user with the ease of drag and drop. and you do not have to worry about having a large filter due to adding back in excluded words. Having the event take place real time allows the user to be able to go back after they have watched a movie and say.. hey.. that word isn't so bad. I want to add that back in for the next time I watch it. what you may want to do with the event is include a payload that shows the whole sentence the word is used in. this is a good mechanism to be able to show the user in what context it was used in, so they are able to make the right decision.