TrayTip plugin - v0.2.0

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Medy
Experienced User

Re: TrayTip plugin - v0.2.0

Post by Medy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:06 am

ahh i see ... tested it . works great !! ty

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:55 am

You have the ability to add the time to the messages yourself. We do not have the ability to make the messages persistent. That is something that may be able to be done through the "Ease of Use" settings in Control panel. Look for Notification Timeout. Commonly setting a 0 for a setting like that will make it persistent.
The setting you're talking about is only to increase the duration of the notification banner, there are 6 predefined values (5, 7, 15, 30sec, 1min, 5min), you can't put a value manually such as "0". On the other hand, there must be a way to move the notification (after it has displayed) in the Action Center, I think to do this we have to find a way to add the Eventghost program in the "Senders" list, you can find this in the "Notifications & actions" menu in the Control Panel. each sender has its own notification settings (show notification banner and/or show notifications in action center) and many other settings. So to sum up, if we don't see Eventghost in the "Senders" list there's nothing we can do about persistent notification.

Code: Select all

import time

def get_time():
    return time.strftime('%c'. time.localtime())

eg.globals.get_time = get_time
thanks for this tip, I always wanted to do that :) I just wanted to let you know that there is a typo error after '%c' you put a dot and it should be a coma or it won't work (this info might be useful for others).

There is another error (at least for me :) ), it's in the naming convention of eg.globals.myvar it can not have an underscore in the name, for example eg.globals.my_var throws an error.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and that's probably why your code is not working for me, if it's the case please let me know, I'm eager to learn.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am

what is the error that is getting thrown?
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:17 am

I'm not able to reproduce the error with the underscore... I was probably doing something wrong, now it works, if it occurs again i will tell you.

Regarding the notification persistence, do you think you can do something ?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:46 am

It doesn't seem like there is a way to make it persistent. Even the registry hacks do not allow the thing to stay up for longer then 5 minutes I believe.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:53 pm

I wasn't talking about a registry hack or any other kind of tricks, the only way to do this is to improve the core program itself, adding new functionality such as making EG visible in the "Senders" list in windows Control Panel, have you checked precisely what I was talking about in the control panel ?

Below "Get notifications from these senders" you will find a list of programs where you can adjust the behavior of a notification simply by clicking on the program, it will give you several choices in the next page. This is where EG needs to be listed, to be able to set the notification the way we want to. I know, I know it's easier said than done :) But I don't see any other options to make this work.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:45 pm

I believe that only store app show up in there and not desktop applications. You would have to look and see. Even if an application is able to be listed in there you still cannot make the notifications persist. they will pop up for i believe at most 5 minutes then disappear. so the persistent still cannot be done.I do not have windows 10 so I do not know how the notification bits lay out.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:41 am

I believe that only store app show up in there and not desktop applications.
I'm not so sure about it, I have a few applications that are not available in the store app.

Even if an application is able to be listed in there you still cannot make the notifications persist. they will pop up for i believe at most 5 minutes then disappear. so the persistent still cannot be done.
Well again, see for yourself how many options are available once you click on an app in the Senders list :

I do not have windows 10 so I do not know how the notification bits lay out.
obviously that's a problem :) you can not fix something that you don't use or have.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the answer lies there, why would it be such a mystery to move a notification in the Action Center once the notification banner is displayed ? Many applications do it, so there must be a way, maybe it's very complicated but doable.

Boolean263
Plugin Developer

Post by Boolean263 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 am
OK so the plugin has been updated to support multiple messages.
I'm really glad to see that the work I started has been in good hands while I've been away! Thanks for doing that.

I don't see changes in your github repo regarding this most recent change. Could you push them up so I can learn from them? And possibly merge them? (I'm sad to discover that you've been working so hard on this but I've received no pull requests from you! :cry: )
Windows 10 Home, version 1703, build 15063.540 · EventGhost 0.5.0-rc4 · wxPython 3.0.2.0
Python programmer for fun and profit. Dabbler in EventGhost plugin writing. Wiki gardener. General geek.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 am

Holy shit! He lives!!!

I didn't know if you were still around and maintaining the plugin. So I just made the changes and uploaded the new version. I edited the first post and added the updated version there. You can download it and add the changes I made to your GitHub Repo this way it your repo has the same code as the latest one available.

I only made a few small changes nothing major.

Boolean263
Plugin Developer

Post by Boolean263 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 am
Holy shit! He lives!!!
I do indeed! Sorry to vanish on you like that. Hopefully I'll be around for a while this time.
kgschlosser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 am
I didn't know if you were still around and maintaining the plugin. So I just made the changes and uploaded the new version. I edited the first post and added the updated version there. You can download it and add the changes I made to your GitHub Repo this way it your repo has the same code as the latest one available.

I only made a few small changes nothing major.
Done, thanks! And thanks again for keeping the lights on here. EventGhost is awesome and I'm glad to see it's still thriving.

Perhaps offtopic, but what happened to the wiki? When I visit wiki.eventghost.net I see the same page as www.eventghost.net.
Windows 10 Home, version 1703, build 15063.540 · EventGhost 0.5.0-rc4 · wxPython 3.0.2.0
Python programmer for fun and profit. Dabbler in EventGhost plugin writing. Wiki gardener. General geek.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 am

Boolean263 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Perhaps offtopic, but what happened to the wiki? When I visit wiki.eventghost.net I see the same page as www.eventghost.net.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's broken i guess. LOL

I will have a look at it. we had to make some changes while you were on vacation. So a lot has happened since September 5th 2017 (when your last post was before the vacation), We ended up moving servers 2 times. So something in the webpage might be pointing to an old ip address. I will have to go and look to see what is going on.