xAP Plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
V_J
Experienced User

Re: xAP Plugin

Post by V_J » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 am

I'll be away from the installation for a few days, no chance for me to test/report back before Saturday or maybe even Sunday.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:50 pm

That's fine. Let me know when you do test it and how it works.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 pm

Just managed to test some things (had to install a new router at home, and somehow figured that a Ubiquiti thing (router+access point) would be a good idea... quality looks fine, but configuration had quite some complications). If you would consider such hardware, I have some recommendations about it.

Ok, strangely, the plugin manages to send eg.result in the message part, I thought it sometimes had the wrong content, but that may have been me triggering the action rather than the macro :roll: .

Sending the eg.result (or some others) works not only in the message but also in class and type. Use of wildcards in the target however does not seem to work: eventghost shows it is sending, but nothing is received on xfx viewer or my udp sniffer. After entering a wildcard and closing the dialog box, when return to the dialog box the target field is empty.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 pm

OK i am going to need to do some work on the target field. What I may elect to do is to modify the target in the packet so it is no longer a wildcard and send it. I am not sure if we are supposed to have wild carded targets in the packet or not. In order for me to do that I am going to have to do a fairly substantial reorganization of the code used to build a message.

For my setup at home I am using an Asus CM-16 cable modem that has no routing and NO WiFi built into it. Then I have a Cisco LRT224 VPN Router which is a business class router. I got mine about 6 years ago when it was made by Cisco and it got moved over to Linksys They are the same unit just a different label.

I know it can handle at least 50 VPN tunnels using the following VPN choices per tunnel EasyLink VPN, OpenVPN,. Gateway to Gateway and Client to Gateway

the Gateway to Gateway and Client to Gateway have a 2 phase encryption with the following options for each phase
bits: 768, 1024, 1536
encryp: DES, 3DES, AES128, AES192, AES256
auth: MD5, SHA1

It also has a builtin firewall and support for SSL and had roll over on WAN failure (if you have 2 uplinks to the internet)

I got this router because It is purpose built to be a router and nothing more. it is also built for business use so it is not going to have the inherent problems with home use ones where you have to reboot the damned thing all the time. It is built to handle alot of traffic without freaking out. An example of this happening is several hundred connections for torrent downloads/uploads. home use routers will throw a shit when having more then 50 or so connections. I have have over 1000 connections at one time and not had an issue.

I use a dedicated AP ZyXel NWA1123-NI. The one I have looks like a fire detector and is POE so only a single wire needing to be run.

I am not one to buy "combo" items. because if my wifi needs an upgrade I only have to change the access point and not the router or cable modem. It makes it nicer to deal with from a setup standpoint. The cable modem I bought for 35.00 USD instead of paying 15 a month for the rental one which had it's own set of problems all together. I made sure that I got a cable modem that does not use the Intel Puma 6 chipset which has all kinds of latency problems. I have not had to reboot my modem a single time since I installed it over 2 years ago. and not my router or AP either.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Mon May 04, 2020 8:48 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 pm
OK i am going to need to do some work on the target field. What I may elect to do is to modify the target in the packet so it is no longer a wildcard and send it. I am not sure if we are supposed to have wild carded targets in the packet or not. In order for me to do that I am going to have to do a fairly substantial reorganization of the code used to build a message.
Just to supply the link: http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php? ... via_Header

The strange thing is that when xfx viewer shows me the messages from the Logitech Music Server, there is completely no target field in the message.

I am not one to buy "combo" items. because if my wifi needs an upgrade I only have to change the access point and not the router or cable modem. It makes it nicer to deal with from a setup standpoint. The cable modem I bought for 35.00 USD instead of paying 15 a month for the rental one which had it's own set of problems all together. I made sure that I got a cable modem that does not use the Intel Puma 6 chipset which has all kinds of latency problems. I have not had to reboot my modem a single time since I installed it over 2 years ago. and not my router or AP either.
I wasn't clear enough... I got a Ubiquiti router (Unify Security Gateway), which is just a router (no wifi) and a seperate access point; I also wanted to get rid of combo items. :) The nice thing is that they are setup by the same webinterface (gives access to all Ubiquiti devices), but in retrospect I should have waited for the Unifi DreamMachine Pro. Still, the one I have will serve me, and I may move it to my parents in time and still get the DreamMachine Pro. :) I still have a DLink DGS1210-16p smartswitch, but may upgrade that one also to fit the Ubiquiti ecosystem...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 04, 2020 10:46 am

I have never looked into Ubiquity.

The Dream Machine Pro is an NVR. but doesn't have POE.

This is what I have for an NVR.
https://www.lorextechnology.com/nvr-net ... A63B-W-1-p
16 Port 4K POE

That on is made by a company called Dahua even tho it is branded Lorex. The cameras that Ubiquity makes look like Dahua cameras. and if that is the case then there is a high probability that the NVR portion of the Dream Machine Pro is made by Dahua. This is actually fairly common. There are a HUGE number of security system manufacturers that use Dahua.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Mon May 04, 2020 2:59 pm

It is not just NVR... Its main function is actually router, an upgraded version of the USG, which combines the router, the controller (in the Ubiquiti ecosystem, you need a controller which allows you to configure the router, switches, etc.), 8 port switch and NVR. It is quite a bite more expensive than the USG (as in 3-4 times more...) but would now be the device I would go for - learning what I have learned from the USG. But it will serve its purpose and I may later move it to parents or so. :)

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Mon May 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Just to get back to xAP: I have been playing with the possibilities in Loxone, and may have to resort to the Broadcast plugin to send things to and receive from Loxone, it may be easier as I have problems formatting the packets to fit the xAP standard (Loxone does not really like text values). The xAP plugin is still very necessary for getting the data from the Squeezeboxes, and sending may also be interesting, but the wildcards in the target are less important for me. So if you have other priorities, then by all means focus on those; the plugin works for what is it doing at the moment, and I suspect that sending to the known logitech music server is also not a problem (I'll test this also).

I will get back to the Marantz plugin, and will post what I added to make it work with my amplifier, but I'm still testing it all.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Nah it's cool it doesn't bother me to put the work in. I am curious about the Loxone and what it does. I am willing to bet it has the ability to run extensions of some sort on it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm

give this a go and see if it will work.
Attachments
xAP-v1.5.9.egplugin
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Tue May 05, 2020 4:58 am

I'll try later today. :)
The loxone is quite limited: no software extensions of any kind, and on network it only supports udp (in/out, but it only allows input of single bytes or valies, not text), http input (e.g. from a web service), tcp output, and virtual inputs (http calls to set data in blocks, this can be text).
Programming is tricky, as it behaves as a realtime system (something to be aware of all the time, not to end up with feedback loops or desychronized things) and you have to draw your program using the building blocks given. It is not a big problem if you stay wih their system, but it does matter when you communicate outside of it.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Tue May 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Ok! The xAP still is one of the most core things for the communication with the Music Server, so I really appreciate it. :)

Still an issue with the target... First, the list is no longer populated as it was before (so the music server, nor the xfx viewer show up). Sending to a different address also does not seem to work (but does not give an error anywhere).

One more thing though: the music server sends xAP packets that look like this:

Code: Select all

xap-header
{
v=13
hop=1
uid=FF.027AE98B:0002
class=xAP-Audio.Transport.Event
source=ersp.SlimServer.Servername:PlayerA
}
Audio.Transport
{
Elapsed=4:57:47
PlayerID=mac-address
Remaining=
Repeat=off
Shuffle=none
}
In the previous version, I could send to ersp.SlimServer.Servername, but this triggered all the players. There was no option to add ":PlayerA" in the target field. I'm just wondering... there are so many options for the target, with dots and colons (according to xfx viewer, the part before the colon is the device, the part after the colon is the endpoint), wouldn't it be easier to just have a free-form textfield, that just gets put after "target=" ? And for example defaults to "*.>" (the wildcard for every target) if it is not specified?