VLC media player

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: VLC media player

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 am

OK I went through the plugin. did a bunch of code cleanup and formatting.. I believe I also found the problem that was occurring.
You need to start VLC using EventGhost. or you can optionally edit the VLC shortcut and add these command line parameters. replacing the IP and Port to match what you set in the plugin configuration.

--extraintf=oldrc
--rc-host=IP_SET_IN_THE_PLUGIN:PORT_SET_IN_THE_PLUGIN
--rc-quiet
--rc-show-pos
Attachments
VLC-0.4.1500.egplugin
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

stoffix

Post by stoffix » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks a lot! I'll try it when I get back home ;)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:37 pm

It also appears as tho on the latest version of VLC.. the one I tried to start the RC for. It is not working for some reason. I tried to start the RC module so that a console window can be used instead of a network connection for sending in commands.. and this would open the console but would not accept any input. I am not sure if the network connection is going to behave the same or not. The VLC plugin is extremely old and has not had a "facelift" since VLC version 1.1 I think the versions are up in the 3.x's now or possibly even higher. VLC does not have a fantastic API for remote control and there is not a whole lot of information on it..

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm

OK I did want to let you know that I finally did manage to get this plugin working. I am going to have to redo the work I did because I simply started chopping pieces out and replacing them. so it doesn't trigger any events, I was only trying to see if I could get it to work.

I did find out something interesting tho. There is a dll file in VLC that offers a public API and it offers control over every single aspect of VLC and this would not use a socket connection. The up side is the level of control.. the down side is not being able to control a remote instance of VLC. I am not sure if I should rewrite the plugin to use the DLL file. or put the current version back into working order again. If making the current one work again the events could use a once over, unfortunately there is no information I am able to locate on what VLC spits out over that socket connection.