Honeywell WIFI Thermostats

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
OklahomaGreyBeard

Honeywell WIFI Thermostats

Post by OklahomaGreyBeard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I'd love to be able to control my Honeywell thermostat with eventghost, however Honeywell has decided their API is only for "major" players. I did however find the following python script that will let you control it through the cloud. Since my python skills amount to zero (This 47 year old is beginning to learn), is there anyone willing to take a look at this code and see if it could be used for a plugin source? http://www.bradgoodman.com/thermostat/therm.py

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Re: Honeywell WIFI Thermostats

Post by krambriw » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 pm

1) As you can see from the file you linked to, there is an import statement, 'import tty, termios'. I have understood that this is exclusive for Unix/Linux and cannot be used under Windows. So that script will most likely run under Linux but not under Windows

2) I think the best option to get it integrated with EventGhost would be a) to make the script run in a small Linux environment, like a raspberry Pi, and verify the functionality b) once confirmed, install a MQTT message broker to the Pi, modify the script so that instead of printing publishes information to the broker c) subscribe to events using the MQTT Client plugin in EG d) you should see events in EventGhost

3) Second step would then be to send commands from EventGhost, basically the same as described above but the opposite direction

Aquila
Experienced User

Post by Aquila » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 pm

It's hard to read from the code and not know the API. But it seems you can control it with http-calls with a json object. I don't have one, so it would be really hard to reverse engineer the API from this code.

The tty seems to be for the userinterface of the implementation you found the API for. So if someone gets hold of the API it should be easy to make a plugin for EG.

OklahomaGreyBeard

Post by OklahomaGreyBeard » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 am

Just for future in case anyone comes across this thread in the future, I have solved this issue using VoxCommando and it's RoboBrowser plugin. The details will be posted on their forums soon.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 pm

I have managed to get together come functioning code. Very raw and in a script form but I will clean it up a little and post it here. It will require you to login to the Honeywell website and navigate to the thermostat and copy a device code from the URL but this only has to be done once. And there is an issue with using it and logging into the site at the same time. Has to do with the cookies so if you want to use this you cannot be logged in from a web browser. Now I have not tried this from 2 separate computers I do know you can't do it from the same machine. I think it will also fail from 2 separate machines at the same location because a cookie has been issued for the login at a specific IP address and it thinks that the software already has the cookie data. Software being the code to connect to it. So if you have a browser open to the Honeywell site the code stops functioning. I was going to take a look at some luup code that has been done up for the micadaverde vera and see if can convert it or at the very least get some ideas and create a full fledged plugin. But this is a starting point
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image