Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

you also may have to go into your bios and check to see how that is set up with the sleeping states and usb power. there could be something in there as well. the powersaving stuff is a real pain because of so many locations things could probably be set.

BUT.... I do have a question for you.... when do electronics go bad??? it is always at the same point. they all fail in the same manner...

they don't turn back on.. so if you never turn them off?? they will never go bad.. why do you think servers can last decades? it's not because of the components. they are the same that are in a normal PC for the most part. why is it that IT guys are always paranoid about shutting a server down?? because of the fear that the thing will not turn back on. I leave my PC at 100% powered except for the displays. and displays can be had pretty cheap if ya get them at the local scrap yard or computer recycling center. I think i paid 10.00USD Each for my 3 screens. and they have been running fine now for over 3 years. so I guess i got my moneys worth.

I don't know how much electric costs where you are but here they have a means to keep you from not going energy efficient.. the more you use the cheaper it gets. It's funny because if i shutdown my hot tub and kill my server rack for a month my electric bill will go up. because I am on a commercial rate because of consumption. the old adage the more you buy the cheaper it gets per unit applies here. BIGTIME. normal is .12 cents a KWH what i pay now is about .05 cents a KWH and I know it gets cheaper then that. But my 100 AMP service is pretty well maxed so without upgrading my electrical i can't pull anymore (not that i really need to)

my point is call your electric company and ask if they tier their prices. find out what the break points are and the price changes. they should be able to tell you at what KWH use does the price drop. most companies in the us usually will tier at 1800 then at 2500 and again at 3000 or 3500 something to that effect.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Foune
Experienced User

Post by Foune » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Jinded wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 4:25 pm
Pharmboy wrote:I managed to resolve (temporarily, until next reboot) part of the double keypress problem by uninstalling the 3 items in the keyboard section of the device manager : it works for the numbers, "up", "down" and "OK" buttons, but I still have double keypress for the "replay" and "skip"...
Hey just wanted to say thanks for figuring this part out. On my end the only devices I have to remove to get rid of the double keypress are:
Keyboards > Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
Human Interface Devices > Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver

I found a way to assign removing these devices to a button in EventGhost, and I'm sure you could use a similar method to run a command at Windows startup:
[...]
Thank you both for your feedback, I get this double press problem once every three year during windows major updates, each time I lose time finding where is the trick.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 am

ok so with my endeavors through the Windows API i stumbled upon some nifty things that have to do with the windows ehome cir devices. (this plugin)
And these nifty things could remove the issues that exist with the service for this plugin. The problem is the source code for the service is incomplete. I am not able to modify the service. Tho I have discovered there is no need for the service any who. I also found that i can implement a pure python version of what the service does.

The service in it's present state is very limiting because it has no concessions for things like telling the blaster what port to blast on (if there is more then a single emitter port), It also looks as tho it will only pick up a single transmitter/receiver and the one it uses is the first one it happens across. the cde in the service is rather off because it is connecting to the device every single time you want to send a command to ir whether it be to learn. or to simply receive (which times out and it has to reconnect again) and when you want to transmit. instead of holding the connection open and simply sending in the commands each time. this does not seem all that efficient to me. tho the performance impact is negligible i am sure.

But there are all kinds of goodies like flashing the led on the device when it is ready to learn a code. or resetting the device. This is a nice one as well. setting buttons to standby and wake the PC. picking which port to receive on or transmit on. But also have the ability to choose which device if more then one to receive and transmit on and have events that produce device names/models and or some kind of a user settable event name when a code comes in.

This can be a very handy thing if you couple a raspberry pi with a piece of software called virtualhere and what virtualhere does is provides USB/IP so the raspberry pi USB ports would become USB ports on a PC. cheap wifi card for the PI and you are off and running with a very easy and cheap way to have blasters all over the home.

I have not dove into the plugin as of yet but I did find a whitepaper on the specifications of the whole ehome CIR layout. and low and behold it has concessions for 79 buttons of which EG only has 52 of them mapped out.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:22 pm

I'll be looking out for it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:32 pm

I have gotten most of the IR connection bits coded up. I can't seem to locate my receiver to be able to test it. LOL. that would figure.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a reciever but not a blaster at the moment. I need to order one but I can do some testing for you.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:41 am

mine is kicking about somewhere. i just have to locate it. I had the PS on my PC die on me. what was unusual was it simply turn off while i was in the middle of using the PC. never had that happen before. It was a cheap PS tho. So i am going to buy a better one tomorrow. I am using a 300 watt 1U server PS right now. and I now i am running the thing close to it's max output. hell my CPU is drawing 1/3 of it's rated power if not more. I don't know how much an ATI R9 uses, if i had to guess it is at least what the CPU is pulling probably more. 16 gigs of memory and an SSD. so it's gotta be close to it's max.

*** update

R9 with 3 monitors 5760x1080 at idle is about 50 watts.
under load upwards of 200 (i think that is with a single monitor not sure tho.)

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm

I transferred my EG Tree that includes MCE Vista+, and IR codes for my JVC TV to a new intel NUC I would like to use in my living room. I installed the alt. IR service, and my IR macros execute fine, I don't get any errors in my EG log but the Infrared blasts don't appear to be occurring because nothing happens when I execute blasts. I tested the blasts on the TV AND an IR receiver hooked up to that same machine. Come to think of it the NUC has a built in IR blaster but I need my external blaster because it has IR outputs where the NUC's builtin blast doesn't. How can troubleshoot/confirm that EG is seeing the correct blaster? Thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 pm

The builtin NUC receiver is not an ehome device i believe.

as far as the blaster goes for the external receiver. have you tried to learn the code using the receiver and then blast that learned code?? have you tried to use a code from remotecentral.com??

I had similar issues when trying to send a code to my samsung TV and i do not remember how exactly i solved it. but it was a code issue and was not an issue with the plugin.

We can test this.

If you take your phone (not an iphone) turn on the camera to your phone and point the camera at the business side of the IR emitter then blast a code. you will see the emitter flashing on the preview of the camera on your phone. if the flashing is in fact occurring then it is not a plugin/receiver/emitter problem, it is a code problem.

if you are not seeing the flashing then you can make an emitter by following these steps. viewtopic.php?p=45924#p45924

we want to verify that it is not an emitter issue. you can use an old remote to scavenge the LED from if needed.

You can also plug in an old headphone cable that has the plug on one end and the wires stripped on the other and test for voltage to see if it is actually outputting.

There also should be ab action to tell you if your receiver is capable of emitting ir codes. if that shows up as not it is not then there is an issue somewhere and it will never even try to blast the code.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 am

I figured it out. I uninstalled the built in it driver under device manager. What was funny is that the NUCs built in receiver had it's own u ique driver and an ehome driver. Uninstalling the oddbAll nuc driver uninstalled it's ehome driver as well

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:00 am

As i said. the NUC has it's own drivers. it does not use the Microsoft ehome driver. Now if you managed to get the NUC IR Receiver working with the alternateMCEIr service. Please give directions. as I am sure there are other people that would be interested to know how you did it.