Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Crowley

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Post by Crowley » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:33 am

There is the latest test build of EG few posts above. My method of testing is backing up eg appdata/programdata and the tree and then installing the test version. When I want to go back to normal, I un-install the test version, restore everything and Install the normal version back. Also you need to disable the old MCE service.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 pm

you can actually run EG from the backup location and do not need to uninstall the test version at all.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:54 pm

@Crowley

This error

Code: Select all

The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
I believe is because of another application attempting to access the IR receiver at the same time as the plugin. Now that I think about it, it could be because the plugin is attempting to access the thing twice at the same time. because of the multiple threads being used in EG. I will dig deeper into it and see. This could be the reason why you are not getting the receiver to appear properly. I will create a thread where the receiver can be located from and this thread will handle populating the config panel for the plugin as well as populating the receiver list that the plugin is able to use.

Crowley

Post by Crowley » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 pm
you can actually run EG from the backup location and do not need to uninstall the test version at all.
Ok, good to know. I will have to try that next time.
kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:54 pm
@Crowley

This error

Code: Select all

The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
I believe is because of another application attempting to access the IR receiver at the same time as the plugin. Now that I think about it, it could be because the plugin is attempting to access the thing twice at the same time. because of the multiple threads being used in EG. I will dig deeper into it and see. This could be the reason why you are not getting the receiver to appear properly. I will create a thread where the receiver can be located from and this thread will handle populating the config panel for the plugin as well as populating the receiver list that the plugin is able to use.
Ok, makes sense I guess. Though to clarify this happens only with the newer build.

gibman

Post by gibman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:16 am

Today I finally had time to test this new MCE plugin.

I had to modify 'reg_keys.py' commenting out all the registry deletes/setvalues as otherwise I would not be able to initiate the plugin.
File not found yadada.. as someone reported earlier in this thread.
I then manually created a reg. file that did the same things and just imported it manually.
Now the plugin starts atleast.
yup, Im running EG as an admin as well on windoze10 64bit. didnt help either.

anyhoo. When I click on my harmony remote using MCE commands to the USB connected "ehome infrared receiver" I get some exceptions in marked with red in E.G.

as follows:

<snip>

01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\ir_decoder.py", line 674, in _decode
01:30:13 code = decoder.decode(data, frequency)
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\nec.py", line 75, in decode
01:30:13 code = protocol_base.IrProtocolBase.decode(self, data, frequency)
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\protocol_base.py", line 470, in decode
01:30:13 data[:]
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\code_wrapper.py", line 215, in __init__
01:30:13 raise DecodeError('Invalid lead in')
01:30:13 DecodeError: Invalid lead in
01:30:13 Traceback (most recent call last):
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\ir_decoder.py", line 674, in _decode
01:30:13 code = decoder.decode(data, frequency)
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\nec.py", line 75, in decode
01:30:13 code = protocol_base.IrProtocolBase.decode(self, data, frequency)
01:30:13 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\lib27\site-packages\pyIRDecoder\protocol_base.py", line 470, in decode
01:30:13 data[:]

<snip>

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 pm

I took a break from working on this plugin for a week. I was starting to tear my hair out with it. There is a newer version of it that can be run tho there is an issue with how it handles unicode. I thought I had fixed the issue but apparently not.

I am not sure what is so different between my test rig and what you guys are using. I am not having a single issue with installing or starting the plugin at all including selecting the device and also getting events in EG for the IR presses. Is anyone running Windows 7 other then me? or is everyone using Windows 10? I am wondering if Windows 10 has some kind of a change in it that is causing issues. I am going to have to build a windows 10 machine possibly in order to test with.

The registry key issue is sorted out in the newest version as well and I have also figured out a way to be able to jump start the IR handling in Windows so a reboot is not needed in order to use the registry changes. Unfortunately I am not able to do this programmatically but there is a message that will appear in the log instructing you what to do if it needs to be done.

if you follow this link it will bring you to the pull request for the code changes I have made. if you scroll down near the bottom there is a comment from "AppVeyorBot". the last comment that AppVeyorBot makes is always going to have the most recent compilation. you cna sue this is you like and you can test it as we go.

I want to run through testing in this order.

Plugin install
Selecting a device
Starting the plugin
receiving IR and properly decoding it.
Transmit action config dialog.
Transmitting IR
Decoder configuration dialog

I am going to walk through this list one thing at a time I do not want to know about errors with transmitting when I am still working on issues with the plugin starting properly. It is not that the transmitting errors are not important but I am only able to fix one thing at a time I do not want to have someone's error report get forgotten about.

Also if you can please report problems using the link above. leave a comment right in that pull request. I do not want to "clog up" this forum thread with bug testing chatter.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:01 am

@Crowley

That IO error you were getting is being caused by what I thought it was. It has to do with accessing a device multiple times. I fixed this so internally it cannot happen from within the plugin. I do not have control over having another application accessing it at the same time that EG is. I did add in some exception catching so the plugin will continue should that error take place while the receiver is being used. I only added this catching when the plugin is running and not during initial device discovery.

Crowley

Post by Crowley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Is anyone running Windows 7 other then me? or is everyone using Windows 10? I am wondering if Windows 10 has some kind of a change in it that is causing issues. I am going to have to build a windows 10 machine possibly in order to test with.
Yeah, I'm using Windows 10, and I would assume most are at this point. You could always multi boot also, it has been years since I had 7 on any of my PCs but they used to play very nice together.
kgschlosser wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Also if you can please report problems using the link above. leave a comment right in that pull request. I do not want to "clog up" this forum thread with bug testing chatter.
Did you forget the link? Is it this: https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost/pull/409 ? I got the latest build (made 7 days ago) and will try it out. I can report my issues there if that's the right one.

Edit: Did a quick test and reported there, correct me if that's not the place.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 am

where you posted your bug report is correct and I answered it as well.