libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:55 pm

systematically go through each action right down the exact list as they are installed into your tree when you add the plugin.

this is going to be a lot easier to keep track of what has and has not been tested/fixed as they are added in the same exact order every single time.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I have run through the majority of them and I believe i have no errors but since my device does not support anything but power on and off i am not able to tell if it works or not

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm
FYI you cannot have cec tray running at the same time as the plugin this is going to cause issues. I have yet to code in a warning about this.
I know I know :-) It is still a good way to see if libcec is working properly regardless of eg. The warning is still a good idea for productive systems...
kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm
also The HDMI port is the port number of the device you are plugged into. the ports on the computer are not labeled port 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and neither are the ports on the CEC adapter. so that only leaves one other place it could be..
You got me wrong there. If you weren't my question would have been quiet pointless :-)
The Pulse-Eight adapter is not meant to be put in between your connection between you windows machine and the TV/AVR in the first place. You can do it if you only have one hdmi-port on the receiving end but they say on their website that it's better to plug the adapter into another port of your TV/AVR. I guess because of connectivity issues.
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm
you're windows system will always be a recorder and a player I believe it is recording device 1 and playback device 1
As far as I remember each device has to be unique here. Each device will broadcast its capabilities by sending its type. But as we're going to check each action in the tree first it doesn't matter right now. Maybe we will need to come back to this question later.

I'll start to check the actions now and will put a comment next to each action in which I'll report my findings. I will then post my tree so you can have look there. Good idea?
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:41 am

that sounds perfect.

dumb question tho. if the adapter is meant to be plugged into it's own HDMI port then why would there be another hdmi port that states PC?? are you supposed to have 2 HDMI connections to your TV? and not use the PC side of the adapter?. because that is going to get very expensive for me because i will have to get another 100 foot HDMI.

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 am

I can't find the manual on their website. It's been a couple of years that I read it :-)
But there is this warning about cable distance
Please note that this device is a passive product, it does not have a HDMI repeater or reclocking chip inside it. As such the total distance of your HDMI cables (both ends) is important. We support a maximum total distance of approx 2m at UHD resolutions and 5m at 1080p (HD) resolutions. Longer distances may result in sparkles or an unstable picture.
If it works in your setup I guess it's all good. They might just have wanted to be on the save side...

I started to do the actions test. It's pretty cumbersome with the actions not keeping the setting for the target device. I'm even not sure if the setting is respected while the action's config menu is open and I hit "Test". Could we have a look at this problem first so I can test properly?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:30 am

One of the things you have to remember is that technology changes. even in cables. and they also give limitations on cable lengths because of crappy cables being sold for cheap. that is why i said it's expensive for me. at almost 400USD for the cable. My projector has only very limited CEC control ability. but all i need to do with it is to be able to power the thing on and off and get the power status from it. anything else like being able to navigate the menus is a nicety not a necessity. the HDMI cable that runs to my projector has so much shielding and the wire diameters inside I am assuming are larger then normal and of a higher grade of copper (less voltage drop) makes the cable about the diameter of my index finger. and I have no video sparkles or any other anomalies and the CEC works just fine for the power on and off. and the video pass through on the CEC adapter has no issues either.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:32 am

the actions are not keeping the target device locked???

I will check it and see what's up with it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 am

Here is a corrected Version. I have also updated the labels to give all of the proper information
Attachments
PulseEight-1.2b.egplugin
(251.21 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 am

Tested it...
The devices are now kept but sometimes they just don't appear in the list:
screen_mmnote_2017-10-06 12 39 08.png
screen_mmnote_2017-10-06 12 39 08.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
And from time to time I will get this:
12:38:21 Error in Action: "Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter: Power On AVR: Adapter: mycec1 on COM6"
12:38:21 Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
12:38:21 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionBase.py", line 116, in CallWrapper
12:38:21 return self(*args)
12:38:21 File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\__init__.py", line 426, in __call__
12:38:21 (device, adpater.name)
12:38:21 NameError: global name 'adpater' is not defined

Both is random.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:00 pm

ok i believe i fixed the issue. It had to deal with the update thread screwing with the data returned. so I put into place a thread lock and that seemed to do the trick. tho there is a slight pause if the update thread is in the middle of doing it's processing when you open a config window. and when i mean slight it's maybe a 1/2 a second or so.
Attachments
PulseEight-1.2.1b.egplugin
(251.34 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 pm

oops, cannot add the plugin after installing it

Code: Select all

18:32:59   Error loading plugin file: C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight
18:32:59   Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
18:32:59     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\__init__.py", line 80, in <module>
18:32:59       from cec_classes import UserControlCodes, CECAdapter, AdapterError # NOQA
18:32:59     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\cec_classes.py", line 53, in <module>
18:32:59       from . import cec
18:32:59   ImportError: cannot import name cec
Edit: Solved it by manually deleting the plugin and installing it again. It is working now...

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok, tested...
devices list is still empty when opening the config most of the times.

Power on a device had TV preselected but gave me this when executing....
18:44:51 Power On a Device
18:44:51 Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter: Power On : Adapter: mycec1 on COM6
18:44:52 Error in Action: "Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter: Power On : Adapter: mycec1 on COM6"
18:44:52 Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
18:44:52 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionBase.py", line 116, in CallWrapper
18:44:52 return self(*args)
18:44:52 File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\__init__.py", line 424, in __call__
18:44:52 (device, adpater_name)
18:44:52 NameError: global name 'adpater_name' is not defined

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm

I do not know why then. my machine it works without problem. do me a favor. unplug all the HDMI's from the adapter and leave it only connected to the PC and give it a go.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 pm

ok I have spent at least the last hour testing this thing and I cannot reproduce the problem you are having. Everything that I can test works

what I was able to test

Power On a Device
Standby a Device
Power On all Devices
Standby all Devices
Power Status
Set Device as Active Source
Is Device Active Source
Is Device Active
Get Device Vendor
Get Device Menu Language
Get Device OSD Name