libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Re: libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:01 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:Got it :-)

what was the problem??? cold solder joint?
I replaced one 20 cent resistor and it worked. I'll have to replace some caps on the hdmi board too to get the osd working again as well. Onkyo put a lot of cheap components in a device running that hot. I even installed a fan in the avr
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Luca Brasi wrote:I replaced one 20 cent resistor and it worked. I'll have to replace some caps on the hdmi board too to get the osd working again as well. Onkyo put a lot of cheap components in a device running that hot. I even installed a fan in the avr

see I told ya it was gonna be something really cheap.. and you thought you had to replace the whole display. Good thing ya mentioned it to me. It is very rare for one of those displays to "burn up" it is usually something in the power supply for it that has a hiccup.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 pm

Yes man! Thanks for the heads up!
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

hi kgschlosser,

did you find the time to have a look at the beta after my last error?
I wanted to try it again and couldn't get it to work. I tried your directions in the post a couple of pages back but I still get this error:

Code: Select all

22:40:40   Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
22:40:40     File "wx\_core.pyc", line 16766, in <lambda>
22:40:40     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\controls.py", line 168, in add_cec_item
22:40:40       increment=0.1
22:40:40     File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\SpinNumCtrl.py", line 88, in __init__
22:40:40       numCtrl.SetParameters(**kwargs)  # To avoid bug in NumCtrl
22:40:40     File "wx\lib\masked\numctrl.pyc", line 875, in SetParameters
22:40:40     File "wx\lib\masked\numctrl.pyc", line 1604, in _toGUI
22:40:40   ValueError: value 0 is below minimum value of control
I got rid of any traces of pulse-eight of my systems and followed your directions very thoroughly.

The setup menu is empty and as soon as I hit Ok eg will freeze.
screen_mmnote_2017-10-04 22 43 23.png
If I install the the pulse-eight test client I can see the cec traffic going through my system. So it should work generally.

I'd love to see it working but I know that you have a lot on your plate. So no hurry please.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 pm

@Luca Brasi

here is the fix to that error. copy and replace the file in eg/classes

viewtopic.php?p=48576#p48576

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 am

Great man thanks!
It is working now. I noticed some stuff and will collect my findings in the next couple of days and report back.

[Edit:]

Ok I couldn't help myself and spent some time with it...

Pulse-Eight 1.1b Beta Tests

Sending codes doesn't work.
On getting volume from avr by sending 45:71

07:13:25      Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Send command to an adapter: CEC1 on COM6
07:13:25         Error in Action: "Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Send command to an adapter: CEC1 on COM6"
07:13:25         Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
07:13:25           File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionBase.py", line 116, in CallWrapper
07:13:25             return self(*args)
07:13:25           File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\__init__.py", line 577, in __call__
07:13:25             return adapter.transmit_command(command)
07:13:25           File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\cec_classes.py", line 544, in transmit_command
07:13:25             return self.adapter.Transmit(self.adapter.CommandFromString(command))
07:13:25           File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\cec\__init__.py", line 1399, in CommandFromString
07:13:25             return _cec.ICECAdapter_CommandFromString(self, strCommand)
07:13:25         TypeError: in method 'ICECAdapter_CommandFromString', argument 2 of type 'char const *'
Action "Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Is Device Active: CEC1 on COM6" stays on target TV, others won't be saved. Same goes for Set Device as Active Source, Is Device Active Source and so on.
Let me know if you want me to do a complete list.
[Edit: This seems to be a general problem. It's acting like that on most actions.]

In the config menu it would be nice to know what Device HDMI Port means: The port on the TV/AVR to which the Windows machine is connected or the port the Pulse-Eight adapter is connected. I guess this is important because for Active Source and stuff like that.
Same goes for Avr volume control. What are the consequences of that setting?

When opening the menu it takes quite some time until the adapter appears. Some impatient users might think that it isn't working at all.

Getting volume from the avr seems to be pretty random.
I can change the volume from eg on the avr and see the change on it's display. But getting the volume after that will not work:

07:55:49   Get Volume
07:55:49      Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Get Volume: CEC1 on COM6
07:55:49      Result
07:55:49         128
07:56:00   Volume Up
07:56:00      Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Volume Up: CEC1 on COM6
07:56:03   Get Volume
07:56:03      Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Get Volume: CEC1 on COM6
07:56:03      Result
07:56:03         128
Even if I change it directly at the avr by a big step it will report back the same value.
Strange thing is that it will change the value from time to time. Couldn't find out when yet. It will give another value after restarting eg though, 140 in that case.
Btw. what type of number is the reported value? Or better question what's it's range?
With the old plugin it was some hex value and I had to convert it by int(value, 16)

Setting a volume level directly will freeze eg. This might be because of the value I used (30). Don't know what the avr is expecting here.

After the initial setup with setting the adapter the actions will be put into the tree but all actions will be put there without an adapter set.
It's no biggy but you'll have to open each action and save it.

8. After setting up "Send remote key" the menu will change and the key field will disappear.

Let me know what I can do to help... I'm thinking about getting into the wiki crew and could do page for this plugin as soon as we have it running.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 am

HOLY Cow!

See I am not able to test all of this stuff because the only device I have doesn't support 3/4 of it.

But we are going to have to work through one issue at a time. so pick one and lets start there

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:42 am

:D sorry for spoiling your morning with this sh..load of issues...
I guess it would be best to start with issue 1. I guess if we get it working on the command level it will be easier to fix the other issues.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:13 pm

i can try this out on mitsubishi also. If I really need to I have a panasonic tv that has CEC but I've only used it to control a chrome cast, and I can test on that also.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Sending codes doesn't work.
On getting volume from avr by sending 45:71

I do not understand what this is.

are you using a remote action?? because the traceback that you have shown the remote actions do not use that function at all. so I am a little confused here.

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 pm

I do use "Send command to an adapter" here:
screen_mmstation_20171005_17h15m33s.jpg
45:71 is

4 = Playback 1
to
5 = Audio System:
71 = Give Audio Status

as I got from cec-o-matic
screen_mmstation_20171005_17h17m05s.jpg
What I actually don't know is which device my windows system is.
In the older plugin I think to remember some setting which allowed me to set it to Playback x or Recording x.
As in the cec tray tool
screen_mmstation_20171005_17h24m52s.jpg
screen_mmstation_20171005_17h24m52s.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 87 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:43 pm

ok. ditch what you know about libCEC

use the actions and do not send raw commands. as sending raw commands is going to vary based on the device.

when you installed my plugin there should have been an army of actions added. go through those actions one at a time and report if it is working properly or not. and if not post the error for it. this is going to be the easiest method for me to bug test the thing. Skip over the sending of raw commands action as i have not done enough reading on how this works to be able to bug test it. I have just about implemented every single function/feature that libCEC has to offer and there should be an action for each one of them. Do not compare anything against cectray as cectray is very problematic and reports information that is not always 100% correct.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

FYI you cannot have cec tray running at the same time as the plugin this is going to cause issues. I have yet to code in a warning about this.

also The HDMI port is the port number of the device you are plugged into. the ports on the computer are not labeled port 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and neither are the ports on the CEC adapter. so that only leaves one other place it could be..

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm

you're windows system will always be a recorder and a player I believe it is recording device 1 and playback device 1

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Ok, we can do that.
Let's go with issue 5 then. I used the pre-configured action for that.