MQTT Client

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: MQTT Client

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 am

we just had an issue with out host. and we lost our forum attachments. I am sorry for this. I am doing my best to locate a set of them and make repairs to solve this issue.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

holdestmade
Experienced User

Post by holdestmade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:06 am

Not sure if this is of use but this is the file I am currently using, think it was the latest on the forum
Attachments
MQTT Client.zip
(45.4 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Post by HTPCanwender » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:56 pm

I would like to use an EG variable in the topic field of the publish command. This field seems not to support variables. Could someone add this feature please?

Thank you.

rmiles7721

Client ID

Post by rmiles7721 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:02 am

I've got EG running on two separate machines on my network with the plugin running on both. Both also apparently have the same client ID. Is there some way to change this?

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 am

you need to change it in the XML config file manually, just put anything, there is now way to do it with the GUI...

rmiles7721

Post by rmiles7721 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Snowbird wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 am
you need to change it in the XML config file manually, just put anything, there is now way to do it with the GUI...

That did it. Thanks.

RiseUp

Post by RiseUp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:07 pm

HTPCanwender wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:56 pm
I would like to use an EG variable in the topic field of the publish command. This field seems not to support variables. Could someone add this feature please?

Thank you.
What have you tried that leads you to conclude that the topic field does not support variables? I'm not quite sure I understand the problem.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi there. How have you all been?
I never used or needed or even knew about mqtt until just recently. And of course now I have an issues. This may be off topic and off OS even but I am having issues with mqtt-hassio and my x10 devices.

Here it goes... After days, almost weeks, I finally got a decent and working supervised Hassio docker install done on my Pi4 64 using an ubuntu image.
I also just now got mochad to work nicely with the hassio's mqtt broker. Thanks to some copy and pasting of some other people's node-red x10/mqtt snippits. (((Those people)

Here is where I am stuck. I have used Eventghost for nearly a decade and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I have all sorts of x10 modules that I am happy with. But... In hassio the state of my x10 devices don't get changed if I use the PC, Eventghost or an actual remote control to turn the devices on and off.

I am real new to HA and their help sites and online info doesn't work well with my non coders visual kind of cranium I got.

Having a REAL hard time getting these device's states to sync.

One hitch... Maybe.
So far I am stuck with this topic/set from the node red mochad/mqtt translate thingy... Cause I think I really don't need to be messing with the code if it already works. But I will if I must.
HouseUnit: A11 Func: On
HouseUnit: A11 Func: Off
HouseUnit: A10 Func: On
and so on.

Thanks a bunch for any insights.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 am

if you using Home Assistant that is the reason why you are having issues. That software is like the kid riding the yellow short bus while wearing a helmet and licking the window.

And good luck trying to get someone to help you with it also. Anything Home Assistant related I am not going to even try and help. Sorry bout that.

I can tell you that your problem is going to be because of the polling loop in HASS. the more devices you have in it the slow the thing is going to become. this is because there is only a single thread that goes to each device.. "hey give me an update" even if the status has not changed. So it is a common occurrence to have HASS not do what it is supposed to do or it takes an eon to do it.

You can check your configuration setting for x10 and see if there is a polling option that may be turned off. if memory serves x10 devices do not announce state changes other then manual operation of the device. This is because there is usually a central controller that is supposed to handle the communications to the devices and it should then know that it needs to perform a refresh of the devices state. This may not be getting done in HASS the vast majority of the plugins available for HASS only provide the most basic function and nothing more.

Trying to write anything for HASS is a pain in the ass. If you thought EG had bad documentation HASS is worse. at least with EG you can load up and IDE and code completion and intellisense works. with HASS you get wrong information or nothing at all. The developers do not want to help anyone that is trying to make a plugin for it. they ignore you or sit on the sidelines critiquing but offering no help.

but your issue lies in HASS and your best option is going to be to ask them. I am guessing that you have probably done that already and ended up with no help and that is why you are asking here.. I would love to help ya out buddy. But that is the one piece of software I want nothing to do with.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 am
if you using Home Assistant that is the reason why you are having issues. That software is like the kid riding the yellow short bus while wearing a helmet and licking the window.

And good luck trying to get someone to help you with it also. Anything Home Assistant related I am not going to even try and help. Sorry bout that.

I can tell you that your problem is going to be because of the polling loop in HASS. the more devices you have in it the slow the thing is going to become. this is because there is only a single thread that goes to each device.. "hey give me an update" even if the status has not changed. So it is a common occurrence to have HASS not do what it is supposed to do or it takes an eon to do it.

You can check your configuration setting for x10 and see if there is a polling option that may be turned off. if memory serves x10 devices do not announce state changes other then manual operation of the device. This is because there is usually a central controller that is supposed to handle the communications to the devices and it should then know that it needs to perform a refresh of the devices state. This may not be getting done in HASS the vast majority of the plugins available for HASS only provide the most basic function and nothing more.

Trying to write anything for HASS is a pain in the ass. If you thought EG had bad documentation HASS is worse. at least with EG you can load up and IDE and code completion and intellisense works. with HASS you get wrong information or nothing at all. The developers do not want to help anyone that is trying to make a plugin for it. they ignore you or sit on the sidelines critiquing but offering no help.

but your issue lies in HASS and your best option is going to be to ask them. I am guessing that you have probably done that already and ended up with no help and that is why you are asking here.. I would love to help ya out buddy. But that is the one piece of software I want nothing to do with.
I have only used it for about 2 weeks. No actually about 2 hours. The rest of that time was spent installing, tweaking, redooing, googling, regoogling. I agree with every word you said. The thing is all over the place. But it's fun. I enjoy it.

My x10 mqqt saga... Hooking in google assistant into my HA helps a little.
Google knows how to change the state of even x10 devices. I wish I did.

Trying this now...
I can ssh into my pi running mochad. I run this command "nc localhost 1099" and it shows all x10 actions like so...

Code: Select all

ubuntu@hassOS:~$ nc localhost 1099
06/18 13:04:15 Rx PL HouseUnit: A11
06/18 13:04:16 Rx PL House: A Func: On
I just tried to do that through EG on my PC. It looks like I am getting connected to the right port on the PI but have no clue what to do from there. Getting those results. Or a log. Or just something to get those results back into EG. It just connects (I think) spits nothing back.

And of course it goes without saying... I have no clue how to create my own code.
If it works it's cause I swiped it. Here's to the creators. I heart you guys and gals.
Thanks for chiming in K.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.