SoundGraph iMON VFD/LCD Display plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
phlox
Plugin Developer

Re: SoundGraph iMON VFD/LCD Display plugin

Post by phlox » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 am

blaher wrote:Awesome, that works well, thanks. :)
Glad to hear, thanks!
blaher wrote:Is there a command to turn the display off?
(hope I understood your question right) - sure, the easiest is to use 'DisplayText' action with blank strings.
blaher wrote:I've added a screenshot of a few commands. It all seems to work, but none of the commands return anything in EG, or on the display.
yes they do. Actions usually return their result in the variable 'eg.result'. You can add a python command 'print eg.result' after each action to see its result. Those actions manipulating the screen, like 'Display Text' or 'Acquire / Release Display' return just True/False on success, other actions, like 'Get Display Type' or 'Get Message Stack' provide more meaningful information.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:03 am

phlox wrote:
blaher wrote:Is there a command to turn the display off?
(hope I understood your question right) - sure, the easiest is to use 'DisplayText' action with blank strings.
I mean so there's no light at all. It would be like going into imon and picking 'run frontview when imon starts' = never.
Or 'turn off during selected apps running' and picking, e.g. xbmc.exe; then whenever xbmc runs, the screen is totally black, i.e. switched off. I can't test your method out at the moment, but I'll try soon.
yes they do. Actions usually return their result in the variable 'eg.result'. You can add a python command 'print eg.result' after each action to see its result. Those actions manipulating the screen, like 'Display Text' or 'Acquire / Release Display' return just True/False on success, other actions, like 'Get Display Type' or 'Get Message Stack' provide more meaningful information.
Cool, that works. Is there a reason it doesn't have 'print eg.result' built into it? Just curious. :)

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:20 pm

blaher wrote:Cool, that works. Is there a reason it doesn't have 'print eg.result' built into it? Just curious. :)
Actually I think it's just a convention; actions usually don't write their result into the screen log; too much printing floods the log and makes it unreadable. If someone wants to process the result of an action, one has to implement a Python script examining 'eg.result'.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 am

blaher wrote:I mean so there's no light at all. It would be like going into imon and picking 'run frontview when imon starts' = never.
Or 'turn off during selected apps running' and picking, e.g. xbmc.exe; then whenever xbmc runs, the screen is totally black, i.e. switched off. I can't test your method out at the moment, but I'll try soon.
OK, I tried out the clear display, and sending a blank displaytext, but unfortunately the light still glows. I've made a work around by running a little program (34KB) I found lying around: USB_format http://www.hiren.info/download/freeware ... Format.zip

I tried to use something in Windows like mspaint.exe or calculator, but imon didn't turn off the display when those were running, even after adding them.

It can tell when usb_format is running though, so I just run it all the time and close and reopen it when I want to set the sleep time, or whatever else on the display.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works well so far. Thanks!

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 pm

blaher wrote: OK, I tried out the clear display, and sending a blank displaytext, but unfortunately the light still glows.
Mine doesn't, I have a VFD display (OEM version in a Silverstone case) - what kind of display do you have, LCD?

Anyway, another approach: Did you also try action 'Release Display'? This action passes control back to the iMON manager (until the next call of 'Display text' or 'Acquire Display'). I think at least 'Turn Off During Selected Apps Running' should work then, or even better, you could also try 'Run FrontView when iMON Starts: Never'.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 am

phlox wrote: Mine doesn't, I have a VFD display (OEM version in a Silverstone case) - what kind of display do you have, LCD?
Yeah, LCD. OEM in an Antec Fusion. http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosur ... 735-3.aspx
Anyway, another approach: Did you also try action 'Release Display'? This action passes control back to the iMON manager (until the next call of 'Display text' or 'Acquire Display'). I think at least 'Turn Off During Selected Apps Running' should work then, or even better, you could also try 'Run FrontView when iMON Starts: Never'.
When I select: 'Frontview never', the EventGhost plugin can't display anything on the screen; it stays off completely, all the time. I use 'Turn Off During Selected Apps Running', with 'frontview: automatically' instead, and use the little program in the previous post of mine to turn it off/on.

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm

blaher wrote:When I select: 'Frontview never', the EventGhost plugin can't display anything on the screen; it stays off completely, all the time.
Hm, strange, I've tried by myself now:
- 'FrontView: Never' -> display is dark (however, on a VFD I can't see a difference between 'glowing' and 'totally dark')
- Run 'Display text' action in EG -> text is shown on the display
- Run 'Release display' action in EG -> display is dark again

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 pm

It's time to release a new version:
Soundgraph iMON VFD/LCD Display plugin 0.3.0
(download in the 1st post)

Change log
  • The plugin now supports dynamically evaluated expressions as display text. For example: "Volume {eg.globals.MyVolume}" displays the value of the variable 'eg.globals.MyVolume'. Whenever the value of this variable changes, the display gets updated. Surprisingly powerful, check it out.
  • Error handling improved, especially when display couldn't be detected.
  • Some other refactorings and internal optimizations.

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 am

I get a bit of an error now with .3.0:

Is this the best way to convey errors, or is a debug log better? Cheers.

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

OK, I see the problem, if one passes a numeric argument instead of a string argument as display text, the plugin fails. Easy to fix, an updated version will follow soon.

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I've uploaded version 0.3.1 of the plugin (first post) which fixes the conversion error.

Hope that works on LCD displays as well?!

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 am

Cheers, that seems to be working without errors now. :) I need to fix how the display comes on and goes off, but your plugin is all good so far.

phlox
Plugin Developer

Post by phlox » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 am

new version
iMON VFD/LCD display plugin 0.3.2
(download in the first post)

A minor bug fix: Avoid displaying 'None' if the passed display text is None.

m0nKeY

Post by m0nKeY » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi,

thanks for the great EG Plugin. I read about it in the german DVBViewer forum. Sadly I have to tell tell that on my Soundgraph LCD Display the text is looping, it just runs once through the LCD. I would debug the EG Phython script, but i didn't fiddle with it yet.

My iMON Manager Version: 8.12.1202
iMON FW Version: 0x380208

There is one thing I already noticed. Even if i set the "LCD no scroll pulse frequency" to 0, in debug Information the parameter LCD_NO_SCROLL_PULSE is still 0,2. Tell me, if i can help you to fix this.

Greetings
m0nKeY

Pliind
Experienced User

Post by Pliind » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi,

I'm having some issues (as usauall with the damn display) :(

I have frontview on automatic but i keep getting. "iMON_Display: Can't get control of display. Is FrontView in auto mode?"

Did i miss something? my Imon version is 8.12.1202

NVM, as the infamous IT-crowd always says "have you tried turning it off and on again" worked. :P