Broadlink plugin - alpha version

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Medy
Experienced User

Re: Broadlink plugin - test version

Post by Medy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm

george tirebuyer wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:45 pm
Yes it gets recognized as RM3. I'm certain the receive ir is messed up in my rm3 since it is extremely flaky in detecting IR in the learning mode in the phone app too. Also discrete codes are available on line for most devices and I've been using them with USB-UIRT. They can't be learned since they aren't in the consumer remote that comes with the receiver. I'm hoping to get the RM3 to be a WIFI equivalent. I tried pasting codes from the USBUIRT plugin but no good. I'm wondering if there is some conversion taking place some where.
Theoretically you could add those discreet codes to the list of recorded signals ....
But the format is probably an issue ... and I have no desire to deal with this ...

Maybe just get a new rm3 mini that works ... problem solved

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi Medy,

I have my RM3 mini setup in my office now.
I downloaded v0.6 of your plugin (loads fine btw. I didn't have to add something to side packages :/ probably only required for EG 0.4)
I'm totally new to the device but dislike the idea to register in an app to join my WiFi. I was very happy to see that you are working on eliminating this step and I wanted to give it a try. I guess it's not working yet, right? ^^
The FindDevice action just displays TEST and the setupDevice action.. I put in my wifi credentials and can execute it, it prints manual setup, security mode x, network x, and that's it.. my device is not found.
If you want me to test something, let me know :)
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:55 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:31 pm
Hi Medy,

I have my RM3 mini setup in my office now.
I downloaded v0.6 of your plugin (loads fine btw. I didn't have to add something to side packages :/ probably only required for EG 0.4)
I'm totally new to the device but dislike the idea to register in an app to join my WiFi. I was very happy to see that you are working on eliminating this step and I wanted to give it a try. I guess it's not working yet, right? ^^
The FindDevice action just displays TEST and the setupDevice action.. I put in my wifi credentials and can execute it, it prints manual setup, security mode x, network x, and that's it.. my device is not found.
If you want me to test something, let me know :)

Its nonfunctional right now . I think...
Havent tested it on my device yet

You could basicly do the setup stuff yourself by running the broadlink setup action with your credentials in pycharm for example
its just a single function that runs and take you ssid and pw ... and network mode ...

Like described here :
https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink

Code: Select all

1.long press reset until slow blink
2. long press again to enter ap - mode
3. connect to the broadlink device with your pc wifi

then run : 

import broadlink

broadlink.setup('myssid', 'mynetworkpass', 3)
Will get to it around christmas time I think ...

(the find device action just prints TEST yes ) ... Its an utility function I wanted to add to manually discover devices ... it is not needed ...
but might come in handy for testing I guess ..

the manual setup as well as multidevice support I will add.
Then I probably upload stuff to github once thats all good to go.

The plugin on startup should automatically find your device and print it to the console.
https://imgur.com/a/9XnySxE

Greetings

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:26 pm

So, after finally including the RM3 mini in my WiFi the plugin found it - and also throw the errors about the includes... No idea why really. After adding the two libs to the side packages it works though.

More tests will follow :)

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:30 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:26 pm
So, after finally including the RM3 mini in my WiFi the plugin found it - and also throw the errors about the includes... No idea why really. After adding the two libs to the side packages it works though.

More tests will follow :)

Glad the basic stuff works ;) ...
Now just need to add features & polish things.
- multi device support
- utility functions
- naming or renaming recorded commands

Then you should be able to use this for the years to come...

After taht I will work on getting these devices to do some cool stuff with eventghost or maybe another chrome plugin....
https://m5stack.com/collections/m5-core

Have most of the core models at home... And totally love it :D

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Medy,

Looking forward to it! :D

I did some more testing:
- One time I had the impression the plugin periodically eats up system performance, but that may have been something else in my config as I couldn't reproduce that yet - I'll keep watching that
- A little strange for me is the way the learn function works: Learning mode is entered once you add the action to your config?? Usually you're supposed to execute web action (in order for something to happen).
If you don't want to execute web action to learn IR code (which I can understand) you probably could consider to initiate learning mode via a button in your plugin configuration? Would make a lot more sense to me ;)

Besides that, learning and sending IR seems to work fine for me :)

I also took a look at the m5 stack - cool stuff, maybe I'll get myself one of those too ;)

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:38 am
Hi Medy,

Looking forward to it! :D

I did some more testing:
- One time I had the impression the plugin periodically eats up system performance, but that may have been something else in my config as I couldn't reproduce that yet - I'll keep watching that
- A little strange for me is the way the learn function works: Learning mode is entered once you add the action to your config?? Usually you're supposed to execute web action (in order for something to happen).
If you don't want to execute web action to learn IR code (which I can understand) you probably could consider to initiate learning mode via a button in your plugin configuration? Would make a lot more sense to me ;)

Besides that, learning and sending IR seems to work fine for me :)

I also took a look at the m5 stack - cool stuff, maybe I'll get myself one of those too ;)
Maybe im confusing this (web action)
... Learning Mode ... at least in version 0.6 is triggered by using the test button. Previously it was just when opening the action config.

I will probably add UI stuff to the action config ...like a button for entering learning mode as well as a description tab ...
Its not very user friendly atm ... just barebones :D .... for conveinienece during development ... I was testing stuff dozens of times probably...

I didnt even knew if I could pull the project off with all the issues regarding python 2.7 ... ;) ...
Main issues are solved ... so now its just adding features ... so im happy to take any suggestions for this little plugin

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Medy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm
... Learning Mode ... at least in version 0.6 is triggered by using the test button. Previously it was just when opening the action config.
Well, as the configuration dialog opens when you add the action, I guess that's what I'm seeing :)
In my plugin it also tells me I have v0.5.. but I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from the 0.6 folder on your Google Drive

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 pm
Medy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm
Well, as the configuration dialog opens when you add the action, I guess that's what I'm seeing :)
In my plugin it also tells me I have v0.5.. but I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from the 0.6 folder on your Google Drive
Okay ... didn't upload that update then ...
Anyway ... will probably release an update soon.
To get the plugin into user-friendly shape.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Nice, looking forward to it :D

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am

Hey Medy,

any progress yet? I'm excited to test the new version ;)

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am
Hey Medy,

any progress yet? I'm excited to test the new version ;)
Sry no have alot on my plate atm which needs to be crossed of first.....But I uploaded my current version (so you can use the learning actions stuff correctly)
but thats it for now ....

Can you tell me what feature yoou want most so maybe I start with that when I have time. You already want to use 2 devices ?

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi Medy,

no worries mate :) and thank you!
I don't plan to get a 2nd adapter very soon, but the first one I'd like to use "productively".
I didn't start yet with learning a lot of IR codes, as I expect the structure you're using to save the codes will change a little when you add aliases for IR codes (?) So I don't want to re-learn / modify all the IR codes when the first non-beta version is released. Also it's really challenging to remember what code ID was for which action, after some time :)
So, getting the alias stuff in place would be my main request at this point ;)

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 pm

Alright ... I did I quick and dirty new version
added naming

v.0.8

that should do the trick for now I hope ...

;)

The learning commands now take a string input.

I was thinking that if I could add groups at one point ..
if there is anyone recording tons of codes ... that might be useful ... but for now I will leave it like this ;)

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 am

Sem;colon wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm
Hi Medy,

no worries mate :) and thank you!
I don't plan to get a 2nd adapter very soon, but the first one I'd like to use "productively".
I didn't start yet with learning a lot of IR codes, as I expect the structure you're using to save the codes will change a little when you add aliases for IR codes (?) So I don't want to re-learn / modify all the IR codes when the first non-beta version is released. Also it's really challenging to remember what code ID was for which action, after some time :)
So, getting the alias stuff in place would be my main request at this point ;)
Let me know if I can add / fix small stuff for you .
The multidevice thingy is not a problem ... But I admit Im a little lazy haing to do homework and other stuff ...
that stuff would probably take me abit to rewrite the existing stuff that was made with only 1 device in mind ....

Which isnt too bad ... but tbh .. I dont enjoy the dev experience with Eventghost plugins .... since I cant test stuff in the IDE ...
THERE is always some fricking small error and so I have to start eventghost over and over again ... its so annoying :D ...

At one point I was even considering wrting a external program ... so I dont have to bother testing the eventghost stuff :D
Some kind of external plugin extension .. that connect via websocket or smth