The O-MEGA Project

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

The O-MEGA Project

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Hello everyone,

this is the official support thread for the O-MEGA project - a cusomizable web-interface (and more) for EventGhost.
More details can be found here: http://eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9641

It's a very powerfull tool/plugin, the configuration is GUI based (no files need to be modified!) but the settings are not documented (yet) and maybe not so much self-explaining.
So this aims to people that like to do some tinkering :wink:

Even though I have been developing and using this plugin for many years now, I'm pretty sure there are still some bugs in it.
Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on this project anymore, so if you find a bug, you can keep it :)
Just kidding, of course you sould post it here (or fix it right away :wink: )

How to install:
1. Download the O-MEGA.zip file attached to this post
2. Extract it's complete content to any folder
3. Run the file "install.bat" in that folder
4. Follow the instructions in the console window
5. After the setup is done, you need to add the O-MEGA plugin to your Eventghost configuration (it'll be in the list of available plugins) - watch the Eventghost log while you do that, as there are some prerequisites for your Eventghost tree (e.g. you need to have the SchedulGhost plugin first in your configuration on your server PC)
6. Configure the O-MEGA plugin. It brings it's own webserver with it, you don't need to add or configure the webserver plugin!
7. Make sure the port you setup (or Eventghost) is not blocked by the windows firewall (inbound connection)
8. Point your browser to http://localhost, this should bring up the webinterface
9. In the webinterface go to "configuration" -> "Pages" -> and hit the save button on the bottom. Your page will reload and you can start using/customizing the interface (via the configuration page)

This plugin requires at least EventGhost version 0.5!

Credits:
To create this plugin, I used and modified some code from the following plugins - special thanks go to their creators without their work this plugin would not be as awesome as it is :D
- OSE (On Screen Explorer) - by Pako
- SchedulGhost - by Pako
- Network Event Sender / Receiver - by Bitmonster
- Ping - by miljbee and Sem;colon
- Webserver - by Bitmonster, Pako, Sem;colon and krambriw

Have fun with the tool!

P.S. Feedback is welcome, this thing ate up years of my life! :lol: but it was fun to create it (mostly)
Attachments
O-MEGA.zip
O-MEGA core v0.4.11
(387.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Extensions_and_templates.zip
(Example) Extensions and Templates. (AIMP, Pioneer AVR, SSH, Zway, Kodi) v1.1
(158.7 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
O-MEGA.zip
O-MEGA core v0.4.10
(497.66 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
O-MEGA.zip
O-MEGA core v0.3.73
(508.05 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by Sem;colon on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: The O-MEGA Project

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am

@Sem;colon

do you have a GitHub repo set up for this??.. It would make it far easier for well... me personally to submit any bug fixes.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:22 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am
do you have a GitHub repo set up for this??
Hi Kevin,
Nope, I didn't setup any repo for it yet.. but yeah, would make sense to do so :)
I'll try to set up one the next days and let you know

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:41 pm

ok sweet.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am

Come on guys, no one has a question how to set this up?
Is it working fine for you? If not, how far do you get?

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:30 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am
@Sem;colon

do you have a GitHub repo set up for this??.. It would make it far easier for well... me personally to submit any bug fixes.
here you go! :)
https://github.com/ThomasBott/O-MEGA

svengali

Post by svengali » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:27 am

I'm about to set up home remotecontrol again. Will certainly try out this webinterface. Seems very nice.
But in line with friday 13:th the designated pc will not behave nice. :cry:
But i will at least give some kind of feedback/review ahead.

dan Edens
Experienced User

Post by dan Edens » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am
Come on guys, no one has a question how to set this up?
Is it working fine for you? If not, how far do you get?
I've been to busy to get my hands dirty but they're coming.
LOL i actually thought this too when I was coming to post, "how the fk" was my very first reaction haha,
But while typo checking and reviewing my comment, I actually figured out a few things.
Than I forgot to come back with the rest.

Let me look over the repo for a little than I'll have a bunch of questions.
I'm like zealot level interested in the details tho,

Tips, tricks, stuff that didn't work, or maybe connectors, devices, programs you use with it already.
This thing is Awesome, a Fitting addition to EG.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 am

Puh, learning how to use of by looking at the code could be quite challenging; the project was not made with the intention to release it as open source in the first place and has been created and developed for many years, the code is anything but pretty or easy to follow.
As the programmer of this tool you definately earn my respect if you figure anything out that way :)

I use it for my complete automation in the house; lights, heaters, PCs (including media center), hi-fi, TV - you name it. Basically everything I made Eventghost to work with in a nice web UI. The possibilities are endless :)
If you know some JavaScript and like to get your hands a little dirty, you can create your very own custom templates and style and design controls the way you like them to be for your application - the API for that part is even documented ;)

wysocki
Experienced User

Post by wysocki » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Semi;
Wow, I can see you've put a lot of work into this. Just FYI, here's my experience after downloading it:

I ran the install.bat. It copied 126 files successfully and opened the gui window saying "Do you want to install plugin...". I clicked OK and the dialog closed, nothing else happened. I finally figured out that I had to then manually ADD the plugin in EG! But then I was confused about the webserver settings: was I to create a new webserver (which I did), or give the settings of the existing webserver plugin? And what about the Templates and Extensions? A bit confusing for someone not highly technical, like me!

I got it running! But wasn't sure exactly what to do with it yet. I saved my config and rebooted. But then this happened:
Image 009.png
Restoring to a backup config.
Would have liked seeing just what this will provide me with before I started, too. Are you creating a user guide?

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi Wysocki,

I'm happy to see someone finally tried it out :)
Yes, it was indeed a lot of work :lol:

That you need to add the plugin to your config is actually written in the instructions given to you when you run the install.bat.
That part is displayed in the cmd after the window openes where you clicked ok to install the plugin btw. ;)

For the webserver, you don't need to add the webserver plugin to your config for this to work at all, it'll configure it's own (hidden) instance of the webserver plugin automatically and you set the settings for it within the configuration dialog in the O-MEGA plugin (after adding it along with all the other required plugins, like SchedulGhost - just watch the EventGhost log after adding the O-MEGA plugin to your config!)
When you also add and configure other instances of the Webserver plugin, make sure they are not set to the same port as configured in the O-MEGA plugin.

Unfortunately there is no user manual yet; I was trying to write one, but after 3 pages plain text there was still little to nothing explained compared to all the features and how to use them, so I kinda gave it up.. (writing manuals is super boring :mrgreen: )

If you follow the link in the first post, you get a short overview of the feature set ;)

The templates and extensions (examples) are basically extending the webinterface with actions or a whole UI to integrate specific devices or programs more easily or from the web UI itself, but it's not required.
When there is no extension for your application available, you can still use the web UI to trigger an event in Eventghost and configure your macro there; just like with any other remote control.

Oh, one more thing; after you have to tool running and can access the web UI, make sure to go to settings -> configuration -> pages and hit the "save" button. That's required to initiate the predefined templates to control your (server) PC. (So, you can directly remote control your mouse/keyboard and windows explorer from the web UI without further configuration)

Btw. Whenever you change any setting in that configuration part within the UI, the system automatically creates a full backup of the webserver files as well as the SchedulGhost configuration file and your EG config tree.
So when you mess up something, you can easily go back to the last state it worked by executing the "RestoreBackup.exe" in the folder of the O-MEGA plugin (usually under c:\programdata\eventghost\plugins)

steve@rpad

Post by steve@rpad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Newbie's Log: April 06, AC (After Covid)

11:00 AM....Beginning install...Wow...Essentially replaces TerRemote using the Web Server! Which I have been ignorantly trying to replace with Web Server for months now.

11:15 AM...Nice, Install went smoothly, took me a while to play around with existing running web server and O-Mega plug-in configuration page. But I am able to read and I noticed the posting above that says both can run at same time, so i'm gonna take some time to get both running together. I'm excited!

11:25 AM...How about different users? Access based on user needs or administrators edicts? i.e. Parental controls.
I wonder if I could run VLC within page do u think? Then every device becomes viewer and remote?

11:26 AM...I've been using text files as my database type for data storage and retrieval till I can figure out best type. Are XML formats the way to go? More reading!

12:00 PM...Nap Time. Happy Camper!!! :mrgreen:. Then I'll install PC Control Template. Maybe only comment so far is formatting and layout of install .bat and any associated windows. i.e. Bringing windows forward when in focus and such. I was missing schedule plug in but didn't notice because window was hidden behind install.bat. nit picking really.
Last edited by steve@rpad on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanx,

Steve

Win10 Pro - 2004 - 64bit i7-4771 3.50GHz 32GB RAM 60TB Storage
EG - 0.5.0rc6, FileBot - 4.9.1.0, VidCoder 5.21
USBIRT, O-MEGA, DirWatcher, Keyboard, VLC
MediaPortal ...et al.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm happy you like it! :mrgreen:

Yeah, that installer was made very quick and dirty, I'm happy it worked actually as I barely tested it :oops:

Access control is on the list of upcoming features, the foundation for it is in place, but there is no inference for it yet. It'll come for sure, but I can't promise you how fast that will be :wink:
You can remote control VLC installed on a PC and display information from it on the page, like the title of the currently playing item and stuff, if that's the question.
Every device equiped with a web browser can be used as a remote control and display information like the state of a switch, a state of a media player, playing title.. whatever you like to be displayed actually! As long as the information can be extracted from an EventGhost event, it's fairly easy to display it on the page and to interact with it :wink:

svengali

Post by svengali » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 pm

I have not forgotten this plugin.
Getting all sorts of non-related pc-problems here but have done one try.
Installation seems fine but then it's not going so well.
Connection on lan ok. Login ok but startpage looked/reacted bad. Server on win7 ultimate and connecting pc win7 pro with Firefox browser. Could be Firefox problem.
Could not reach the server on localhost. Tried installing Python 3.4 to use its http.server but didn't help. The cmd window said it was loaded.
I'll come back to it later after i try to get the old webserver going and check its performance. I found my old webfiles.
What is the use of "tcp connection" and its port and password?

steve@rpad

Post by steve@rpad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:21 am

Newbie's Log:

I went to check out the templates. Went back to PC install of EG. Went to Config screen to hit install and save my config and load a template. The File Open Combo Box showed no files of the .OMG extension. I noticed within my File Explorer that they all have .html extensions. I tried using the extension filter combo box but only .omg files were available as a choice. Changing the extension to .omg, gets you an error message telling me that file was not a valid import file. What should we do sir? Maybe no template is loaded at start?

Also, I misspoke concerning my question of VLC. What I meant to ask is, could we view a video file from within the webpage? I have PC Laptops with Android Tablets and Phones as my access to video/audio/remote services. I don't necessarily use a TV or Amplifier except maybe once a week. I don't want to have to load anything on the Android or PC Laptop side of things. Essentially i would walk in the house with a new device all you do is access web address and full configuration is set.
Thanx,

Steve

Win10 Pro - 2004 - 64bit i7-4771 3.50GHz 32GB RAM 60TB Storage
EG - 0.5.0rc6, FileBot - 4.9.1.0, VidCoder 5.21
USBIRT, O-MEGA, DirWatcher, Keyboard, VLC
MediaPortal ...et al.