MCE remote plugin on windows 10 only working run-as-admin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
te36

Re: MCE remote plugin on windows 10 only working run-as-admin

Post by te36 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 am

Nice.
Any pointer to these arduino IR transceivers ? Whats the cabling between arduino and the EG PC ?

te36

Post by te36 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:17 am

The inteset USB IR receiver seems to be working fine so far. Especially after reboot. *yeah*.
Uses eHome driver
lsusb says: 1934:5168 Feature Integration Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610A or F71612A Consumer Infrared Receiver/Transceiver
EG says: 0 Transmitters (0 attached), does have learn capability

Don't have many remotes around, but seems to be able to decode all the ones i tried. Wynther AC for example. Not that i need that.

Oh well, will keep that IR603 dongle for some poor linux system.

Wrt to EG: The problem of grayed out OK and the need for the python workaround showed up in more places, so hope you know how to fix in next release.

Not sure if i have figured out the following correctly: When installing a new MCE IR device, will the Vista+ plugin also disable the MS HID service ? There is no mentioning or checkmark, and i think i also disabled it through the old MCE plugin. IN any case: would be good if one wouldn't need to ever use the MCE plugin, but if the Vista_+ plugin would also do this.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 am

te36 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 am
Nice.
Any pointer to these arduino IR transceivers ? Whats the cabling between arduino and the EG PC ?
cabling is cat 6e
You can also do WiFi but due to the inherent instability of WiFi I would recommend against it.

Here are the components

Adruino Mega 2560 - Branded 38.50 USD Generic - 14.00 USD
ethernet shield - Branded 23.65 USD Generic - 10.00 USD
IR receiver - 0.50 USD
IR transmitter IR LED - 0.50 USD I can give you directions and components to build an amplified transmitter I think it might raise the cost by 2.00 USD effective range of just the led = 2cm, effective range of the amplified transmitter = 40 feet.

you will need the EtherEvents library for the arduino as well as the IR library
and... You have to know how to write firmware for it in C code.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 am

the MCE plugin is for XP MCE remotes and the MCE Vista+ is for Windows Vista and above remotes. There are companies logitech) that have hybrid remotes that will use both.

and NO the HID service is still running. the alternateMCEIRservice is not an alternate anything. it was very poorly named. because there in fact is no MCEIR service in the first place.

I am going to be finishing up writing a pure python version of that service. that is no longer going to run as a service.

te36

Post by te36 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Wrt arduinos IR dongles: I was primarily interested to learn if you have published the whole solution, but sounds as if not.

I have developed on arduino ethernet and yun years ago, but both of them seem to have been victims of the arduino break back then. Yun rev 2 doesn't even seem to support PoE. I would probably try to do this type of stuff on something like nanoPi neo next time around, but would require fiddling with low power settings and the like.

Main issue is the wiring of ethernet through non-existing holes in walls. *sigh*. IMHO there would be a great market for tiny, low-speed PLC modules that also support 5V power ac

Wrt. moving away from a service: In my best understanding, EG needs to run as admin if it wants to talk directly to the MCEUSB driver. Thats i can not run EG without admin when using the MCE Remote plugin. AlternateMceIrService solves that problem for EG, because it is then running with elevated privileges. But maybe there is an option to change the access privileges required to talk to the MCEUSB driver directly without running as admin. I just don't understand windows enough to have the faintest idea where to even look for such access permission control.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm

start --> run... gpedit

this will allow you to edit the global security policies on the computer.

running wire is easy.

you need a couple of specialty tools to make life a lot easier.

this is a MUST HAVE. it is a 54" long (you can get longer) 1/2" drill bit.. the unique thing about this is the flex steel shaft it has. it also comes with a handle to put on the shaft to make it easier to bend.. this you use to be able to drill through a fire block in a wall. or through the top or bottom plate. you can also drill through side ways thjo it is a bit harder to do. you can do this from the hole you cut for the wall plate. but you have to make sure there is no electrical going to be in the way. there is also a hole in the end of the drill bit. this is used to pull the wire back through the hole after you drilled it. This is a HUGE time saver. and well worth the money. and the saving of your sanity.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools ... /203913339

a good sheet rock saw
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-6 ... /202206142

fish tape.. get a good one. steel is what you want.. you will be cuting the tape at some point or the end may break off. with thee steel one you can bend the end back over.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools ... /100660170

this is not so much a tool as a supply.. after you use this electrical tape it will probably be the only kind you ever buy again. this is going to keep the wire on the fish tape. and you also want to wrap the fist tape before pushing iit into an unknown space.. no need to get a wake up call if it manages to slide into an electrical box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-S ... /206869055

i will usually pick up a package of these.. simply for the purposes of being a fish tape.. more flexable and shorter easier to deal with in tight locations.
you can also cut the nub off the end and tape them together to make them longer. (great for running wire under a carpet. and also removing the padding under the carpet where you are going to run the wire. )
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial- ... /203531935

also if you do not want to run wire. there is available the ESP8266 it is an 80/160mhz RISC processor micro controller that has gobs of ram and storage.. as well as WiFi.. all built into a package about the size of a US dime. they are dirt cheap.. 3-4 dollars USD. You can even run a python interpreter on it. the Arduino IDE can flash the firmware to them. This might be something that you would prefer to use.

Radar73

Post by Radar73 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 am
I am going to be finishing up writing a pure python version of that service. that is no longer going to run as a service.
I am looking forward to this ... I find alternatemceirservice on my system occasionally stops running and my wife complains the remote isn't working. Any test releases available?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I have not finished this up yet. actually I just found my IR receiver to test with recently. I have a feew other projects I am trying to finish up then i will get to this.

in the man while you can set up an action in EG that is on a timer. that will run once a day or 2 times a day to restart the service. you should be ablee to run

Code: Select all

net restart {service name}

te36

Post by te36 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm
start --> run... gpedit

this will allow you to edit the global security policies on the computer.
I know the command, but i wouldn't know which object or access policy for my admin user i would need to change so that it can directly access the MCE interface. Would be interesting to try this so that the old MCE Remote plugin can work without admin privileges. Guidance welcome.

te36

Post by te36 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm
running wire is easy.
you need a couple of specialty tools to make life a lot easier.
Thanks for the drill tips. The flex-shaft drill bits indeed look cool. Alas, i did not have the option to drill in my place with wood walls (renting). The one where i have the problem has brick walls and i think concrete ceilings, so i have been using percussion drill, an i would not expect the flex shaft to work with percussion ??

If i am not mistaken, the rest of the drill recommendations are also geared toward hollow? wood walls so i could pull the cable inside the wall ? Will remember those when i do get the need/opportunity in such a place.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 am

no the flex shaft is not for rotary hammer (sds) drills. if you have a concrete ceiling. it is not just concrete. there is going to be a corrugated steel plate in there somewhere. sounds like a pain if you are having to deal with obstructions like that. simplest solution is the surface mounted wire channels

te36

Post by te36 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Indeed. Just installed a wire channel in the basement to pass my new 300 Mbps up/down FTTH Internet connection. Like a real ugly sports car. You don't ride it for the looks ;-)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 am

see I got crafty in my basement. I needed to run wires from one side to the other along a concrete wall. these were my choices..

option 1: pull the sheet rock down from the ceiling and drill a hole through each and every joist for the floor above (not a good idea because of the number of cables i needed to run would have made for a pretty sizeable hole).

option 2: frame out a box where the ceiling meets thee wall the whole length of the wall. I never liked the way that sort of thing looks.

option 3: this is the one you are going to love and this is the one i went with. I made a "nick nack" shelf or a book shelf either or. that runs the length of the wall that the top of the shelf hinges open to reveal a hidden cable chase. so the shelf didn't look out of place i made another on the opposite wall. it's 6" from edge to wall i made a shallow box that is recessed in from the edge.. Oh hell here is cross section of the shelf.
shelf example.png

te36

Post by te36 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 am

Indeed. I had built out one of the rooms in the basement as a home office 10 years ago, all with perfectly nice cable channels on the wall at the floor, and now they're all hidden behind big shelves full of books. Some easily accessible and nice looking solution under the ceiling is certainly the way to
go. Unfortunately, the contractors typically fall short of thinking about "nice" especially in basements. When the contractors for the new kitchen left, there was a real bad mess of new cable channels under the ceiling in the basement.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm

i believe you will understand the magnitude of this photo. I did this work to my house. I replaced ALL of the electrical in my home. and I do mean ALL. every wire, outlet, switch, light. all of it. When I installed the new load center (shown in photo) i moved it from it's original location which was outside.
28514853_10211631217161810_4375031472564032471_o.jpg
I am kind of obsessive about things being done the "right" way. When I installed all of the new wiring i made sure that I untwisted every single bit of it. and attached it so there was 0 slack in any of the wires in the wall. I also routed all of the wiring to avoid having to cross the middle of a wall. if I had to cross a wall I either went high near the ceiling or low near the floor. to avoid a nail hitting the wire if hanging a picture or shelf or somthing of the sort.

when i replaced the plumbing. I went from this.
20292724_10210016924285497_4920256860914603608_n.jpg
to this
20369149_10210016923045466_4459788553367954691_o.jpg
Any changes I have made I have spent a lot of time planning each step.