Task Monitor Plus shows different events in Win 7 vs. Win 10

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
stevep

Task Monitor Plus shows different events in Win 7 vs. Win 10

Post by stevep » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am

I have been using my Windows 7 machine for building most of my eg configuration files. The target computer uses Windows 10. After a few configuration tweaks on the Win 10 computer, I transferred the eg configuration file back to my Win 7 computer to add more functions.

The first thing eg does is start the program SageTV and make it full screen. On the Win 10 system I was able to shrink and make SageTV full size at will with the maximize/minimize action in SageTV. The Win 7 computer acted differently. It started SageTV ok, but each time I tried to shrink the SageTV window, eg would take it back to full screen. I have a second monitor on the Win 7 computer and was able to capture the following series of eg events and actions. The capture starts when I shrink the SageTV window using the control within SageTV.
Multiple SageTV resize triggers.JPG
The Task Monitor Plus plugin captured multiple events. After eg made the SageTV window full size, the activate event trigger occurred again and started the process over when I tried to shrink SageTV. This occurred three times then stopped. I'm surpised the action didn't keep going indefinitely.

The action on the Win 10 computer is different because there are far fewer events. The following screen capture shows the Win 10 computer results. The log starts after I manually execute the start SageTV action. I waited 20 seconds after the program was fully up an running and then shrunk the window with the SageTV control. No events occurred after the initial program start.
Win 10 event log after starting SageTV and then full screen off.JPG
I'm curious why there are substantially different events between the two computers. The Win 10 action is what I want, but it makes it hard to add functions to the configuration file using the Win 7 computer. I don't know how the Win 10 computer will actually respond. Any ideas?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Task Monitor Plus shows different events in Win 7 vs. Win 10

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Windows 10 was a huge rewrite with a lot of the back end API. so there are enormous differences in what Windows 10 does or does not report and how it does it.

You have to remember that with each new version of a piece of software the biggest thing the developers do is bug fixes. that being said. what may have been a bug for say windows 7 and there was a workaround to get it to go may no longer work the same way in windows 10. Your best bet is to post a question about this in the support thread for the plugin. The core developers of EG do not make all of the plugins and it is far easier to fix issues if the original developer does it. If you ask and you do not get an answer for the developer then someone will step in and see if they can sort the issue out. It is always best to have the writer of the plugin fix it if possible.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Let me explain this tho.

The events generated by Task Monitor Plus are as follows.

Created = A task (process) has been opened
Destroyed = A task (process) has been closed
Activated = A window for a task has been brought into focus
Deactivated = A window or task is no longer in focus
NewWindow = A task or process has created a new window or dialog
ClosedWindow = A task or process has closed a window or dialog

I think you are using the wrong event to trigger your macros.

Also you want to use the payload of the event to perform the tasks you are doing with a different eventghost action.

example.

Code: Select all

eg.event.payload.Maximize()
I believe what you are trying to do is you want to full screen sage TV when it is run. then you will need to use the Created event

stevep

Post by stevep » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks again for your help.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep up with OS changes. I would think you and others would have gone mad by now. It drove me nuts going through all of the settings in Win 10. I spent a lot of time with things like the group policy manager tweaking settings to do things such as tame down all of the mother-ship reporting actions and change Win 10 to update when I want it to update.

Ok, now for my lame questions: when you say go to the support thread for the plugin, I'm assuming you mean to do a search like "+task +monitor +plus" in the plugins support forum. True?

For SageTV, I was setting up the process to take the window full size when the program was first started and later when it was brought back into focus. I noticed from the logs from Win 7 and 10 that the create and activate events both occur each time SageTV is brought into focus. You mentioned here and previously to get the payload from the event. I tried to figure it out, but I don't know how to get the payload.

You mentioned "eg.event.payload.Maximize()" as an example. Is this an example of a line I would add to the script to indicate what event and payload would trigger the action? I'm still not sure what I need to do in the eg gui vs adding script to the script that the front end creates.

My programming days were a long time ago with 8/16-bit processors when Intel and Motorola were fighting each other for supremacy. Back then I created structured software using mnemonics as the language to control telecom transmission systems. It was a primitive environment just before C caught on. I could make telecom equipment dance, so to speak. Motorola was the best processor family because their hardware had a very logical structure, whereas Intel's was clunky. Intel won in the long term with superior support, marketing, and sales.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 pm

If you know a programming language then it will be a snap for you to learn python.

python is a high level programming language. Meaning it runs on top of some other software. Because of this all of the really annoying things like declaring variables is not needed. It makes it really dynamic. because you don't have to declare variables a variable is dynamic in size and in type. so you can put an int in a variable and then use the same variable to hold a string.

The syntax is easy. it's all about the 4 spaces. where as c and cpp use curly braces {} and semi colon ; as code delimiters. python simply uses 4 spaces instead.

c type code example

if (!some_variable) {
    run this code;
}

python

if not some_variable:
    run this code
The verbage is different but nothing a little google or asking me won't get you through.

I thought i gave you the link were to download Task Monitor Plus.. that link is the support forum.