XMPP Plus

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Re: XMPP Plus

Post by HTPCanwender » Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Kevin,
thank you for your help extracting the sender from the message. A new question occured for me. The sender has for example the structure like

name@jabber.de/mobile

The ressource (/mobile) is appendet to the JID (name@jabber.de). Is the JID accessable at its own? Or do I have to extract the JID from the sender by myself?

Arnd

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 25, 2018 12:41 am

every 10 seconds it will attempt to make a a connection. i can set steps into that so for say the first 20 it will try every 10 seconds then after that it will try once every minute. or i can have it spit out an event every 6th time it tries. so this way it won't flood the log with connection attempts
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 25, 2018 4:13 am

ok so the actual sender property of the payload object is an object itself, so when you do a str(sender) it will spit out the whole string of the jid as you see it when you print it. (the print statement does the str() automatically).

so these are the available properties for the sender.

sender.resource
sender.user
sender.local
sender.node
sender.username
sender.server
sender.domain
sender.host
sender.full
sender.jid
sender.bare

i believe the one you want is bare

HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Post by HTPCanwender » Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 am

For me everything ist ok now. If you want to change the time between reconnection attempts, please make it configurable in the setup of the plugin so that every user can coose his individual time.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am

:(

this morning after I resumed my PC from sleep, it didn't reconnect.... and I don't see any reconnection attempt in the log... it's offline ! damn !!!!

HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Post by HTPCanwender » Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 am

My home server is allways on and is never in Sleep, Hibernate or Hybrid Sleep mode. So I don't have this problem.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am

ok the sleep issue is now fixed.
Attachments
XMPPPlus-1.2.6b.egplugin
(538.81 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am

thank you !! it worked !!

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Sat May 26, 2018 5:54 am

I just wanted to let you know that this morning when I resumed my PC it has connected to xmpp server automatically, so I guess this time everything is fixed !! :)

THANK YOU !!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm

no worries. I knew we would get down to the bottom of it. it simply takes time. i do get burnt out trying to solve a problem sometimes and i need a break from it. gives me a different perspective on what is going on.

HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Post by HTPCanwender » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 am

I'm sorry, but it seems the plugin does not establish a stable connection to a XMPP server. I tried two different servers: jabber.de and jabber.hot-chilli.net. With both servers its the same.
I think, my internet connection is not the reason, because the jabber client on my android phone does not have any problems with the servers.

The connection is established for about a half day. Then the connection gets lost. It takes several hours of attempts until a longer lasting connection is established again.

The connection to the server often lasts ony a few minutes, then it is lost again. In this time, messages can be sent and received.

Its very strange. During the day, when my house generates several messages the connection to the server seems to keep established.
Attachments
Action log.txt
(144.38 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 am

Hi, that's funny I was about to report the exact same thing ! :) I've been getting this from time to time, it has to be related with the internet connection lost and reestablished, as if the connection is not closed properly when the connection is lost, that's my guess. But there is definitely something to tweak again, to be 100% reliable.
HTPCanwender wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 am
The connection is established for about a half day. Then the connection gets lost. It takes several hours of attempts until a longer lasting connection is established again.

The connection to the server often lasts ony a few minutes, then it is lost again. In this time, messages can be sent and received.

Its very strange. During the day, when my house generates several messages the connection to the server seems to keep established.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks for the report i will see what i can do with it.

In the meantime is there anyone way I can get someone to install an XMPP server locally and connect to that and see if you still have connection issues.

Also can I be provided with a free server that is having these issues as well. this way i may be able to replicate the exact same issue.

HTPCanwender
Experienced User

Post by HTPCanwender » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm

I installed the ejabberd package from the synology community on my synology NAS, but I don't know how to configure it. For me the web interface is a book with seven seals. I have a dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6) internet access with a dynamic IP address.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 pm

I know how to use this server software. it's for windows

https://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/

the setup is easy. this is what I have been using to test with i also installed a messaging app that i connected to the server. I never had any Kind of a connection issue. Not saying there is not a malfunction with the plugin.

I want to make sure that it is in fact a server software thing that is causing the problem and not some other variable we have not thought of. I know it stays connected to that server app. and if you install it and experience the exact same issue then we will have to start looking at other possible causes. Its a step that will give us a direction to go.

it could be that the API standards for something have changed and the servers accounted for the change and the authors of some of the code that is being used has not updated I know there is a fix for an issue with the library SleekXMPP that has been requested to be added for almost a year now and it has not been done. This kind of tells us that the author is no longer maintaining the code. we have to isolate exactly the bit that is causing the problem. because I am using code written by someone else there is going to be a learning curve to figure out what is going on.

so the more information you are able to give me the better.
what server are you using when connecting??
is it something that i can create an account on for free?
if it is a server you have to pay to access would you be willing to supply me with a username and password (temporary) to be able to test/replicate the problem?

I will be do very best to fix it.