Pulse-Eight CEC +

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Pulse-Eight CEC +

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 pm

ok give this one a shot.
Attachments
PulseEightPlus-0.4.8b.egplugin
(376.47 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm sorry to say - exactly the same errors as last time.

Error loading plugin file: C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus
Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc6):
File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__init__.py", line 84, in <module>
import __cec_core as cec_core
File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__cec_core\__init__.py", line 55, in <module>
from . import cec
File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__cec_core\cec\__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
_cec = swig_import_helper()
File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__cec_core\cec\__init__.py", line 16, in swig_import_helper
import _cec
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

I do appreciate the fast turn around Kevin. This must be more frustrating for you than it is for me.

There's nothing else I can be doing wrong or not doing is there?

Should the LibCEC drivers be installed? They're currently not. I've uninstalled and deleted everything PulseEight related and just installed the new version of 0.4.8b.

Best regards

Simon

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:02 am

I don't understand as to why it is doing that because it is working fine on my end.

Do me a favor.. there is an installer attached. install it. it is the libcec driver package. This is a modified version so you will only get support for it here.

make sure you say NO to installing the eventghost plugin when it asks.
Attachments
libCEC-4.0.2.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:53 am

Well, interestinger and interestinger!

I don't know why I didn't try this before. I just loaded EG and the plugin onto a different machine and it worked, first time, with the original 0.4.7b plugin, right out of the box.

Now, I didn't have the CEC adapter pluged into the other machine (I can't do that 'till tonight because I'm testing this out by remote control over a sandwich at lunchtime!). I am assuming that isn't making a difference and the error isn't in a part of the program that doesn't run if I don't have an adapter connected.

Assuming that's not the difference, the issue is with my media PC machine and not with the plugin, which is a problem because that's the machine connected to my TV. It's also odd because it's a very simple, new and fairly clean build machine with very little on it. I'm also running both machines with very similar accounts and setup.

I'll have to start trying to find what's different that can be causing the plugin to fail on one but not on the other.

Thanks veyu much for your help so far though and for all the work you've put into Eventghost.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm

That is strange.

I would start by removing EventGhost. also there could be a remnant of the pulse eight driver somewhere.

Do you have Python installed at all on the machine causing you problems?

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Not that I'm aware of but I'm going to have a look and see. It won't take much to try to take it back to a very clean installation.

Thanks for your help

Simon

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm

KG, can you do me a favor and reattach the firmware download?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:44 am

uuuhhhhh if I had it I would. I don't even remember where i found the damned thing at on their site. I know it wasn't right out in the open too.
they may have changed their site tho. let me see if i can dig it up.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm

I found a copy I saved. When I ran this I got a message saying that the adapter successfully updated to version 4 though.
Attachments
firmware-v7.zip
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 am

here is a link to the download

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

you can try that one. I think they may have not updated the version string in the flash utility is all. I kind of remember reading that somewhere.. I would have to ask again tho.

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Kevin

I'm back from holiday for a couple of weeks and I reset Windows to a clean machine. No joy, still the same errors. The only software installed on the machine is the motherboard drivers and Eventghost and I still get the errors

File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__cec_core\cec\__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
_cec = swig_import_helper()
File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEightPlus\__cec_core\cec\__init__.py", line 16, in swig_import_helper
import _cec
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Ironically you asked if I had Python installed on the machine. I didn't but I do have Python 3.6.5 installed on the other machine I tried on which the plugin works perfectly!

I am not convinced however that resetting Windows clears the registry completely and a quick look through shows up from remnants of PulseEight stuff so I'll try and do a deeper clean or a total reinstall from an iso to see if that does the job.

This is driving me nuts and has cost me hours of my time already. I'm determined to beat it though. There is so much I can do with Eventghost but this is the first step I need to take.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:27 am

Have you tried to install that driver package I attached to a previous post??

Also what version of EG are you using??

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Woo hoo!

Yes I had tried that, all to no avail. It was a combination of you saying it might be a remnant of an old driver or something and me having a look through the registry which seemed to still have traces of PulseEight stuff in spite of having reset Windows.

Resetting Windows (even telling it to lose all my programs and settings) clearly does not clear out everything. I finally reinstalled Windows completely from scratch using a downloaded iso and reformatting the C: drive. That did the trick.

I actually installed the original 0.4.7b onto v 0.5.0 rc6 of EG and that worked!!!

So that might be something to try if other people are having the same difficulty as I had. There is clearly something still lurking around if you are getting these Python errors and you can't get the plugin to work

Now just to get my head around how CEC works with my system and I'm off to the races!

Many thanks for your help and for all the work you do on Eventghost

Best regards

Simon

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 pm

@Simon.

You are the first to have this issue. Just to be thorough I am going to go and do some registry browsing see if I might be able to locate the bit that is causing the issue This way if someone else has the problem i can say.. Hey just go delete this registry key. Or I can code something into the plugin to deal with it. That is a whole hell of a lot nicer then saying.. sorry dude but you have to reinstall Windows on your PC..

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

Well, I had an absorbing afternoon playing with the CEC plugin, trying to find out what my TV and AV amp will do and what they will not do.

I have a couple of questions. My current setup is (or was) my PC and two other tuner devices (one terrestrial TV STB and one internet streaming HDMI dongle) all plugged into my AV amp with the AV amp connected to a single input on the TV.

That works... except...

I can only, via the CEC adapter, change the selected HDMI input of the TV, not the AV amp. So, I can change the TV to another source (useless as there's nothing connected to any other source) but I can't change the input selected by the AV amp.

Now, I can (probably) work around this successfully by connecting things to the TV rather than the AV amp (so long as I don't run out of HDMI sockets) and running the audio back through the HDMI audio return channel to the AV amp but I wondered whether this was by design.

I kind of expected that I would be able to send almost any (relevant) command to almost any device.