Pulse-Eight CEC +

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
GaryCooper

Re: Pulse-Eight CEC +

Post by GaryCooper » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:18 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45 am
Give this one a shot and see if it corrects the problem.
Hi there,
I actually had a similar issue with enduring events, which has been resolved with the updated plugin version. Alas the new version offers the choice to which device the adapter is actually connected to, in my case it's the AVR, which poses a new problem regarding persistent connection of the adapter to the AVR.
The config dialog starts by scanning the adapters and as long as it does, there is no choice available:
Screenshot 2020-09-11 155014.png
After the scanning is finished, i can in someway reveal the possible selections by hovering with the mouse over the dropdown panel:
Screenshot 2020-09-11 154828.png
Screenshot 2020-09-11 154926.png
There i have to select `Recorder 1` in order to get EventGhost to connect to my AVR.
Screenshot 2020-09-11 154951.png
Now everything is fine and the plugin works flawlessly. But after restarting EventGhost, these settings are gone, even if i explicitly save the configuration after this process. I discovered that the device selection is actually already gone, after closing the settings dialog and it is reset to the default `TV` (which suprisingly does not stop the plugin from connecting correctly to the AVR).
Maybe you can point me to the file, where the plugin config data is stored, so i can check if the settings are saved correctly. I could not find any hint of the config settings in the main XML configuration file.

In any case, your work on this plugin is really appreciated and i hope you can help me in this matter.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 pm

The settings aren't "gone" they are saved. They are base64 encoded. I have something wrong in the config dialog and it's not selecting the device automatically for you. But when you select it and close the dialog it is in fact getting saved properly. It is a bug, but it is not one that breaks the plugin from working or changes the actual setting you set. It only effects the selection of the device when the dialog gets reopened. Until I fix this issue you will have to remember to make sure to select the proper device each time you open the dialog.

You can see the issue because your device list is black and a hover over reveals the devices. This is not supposed to be like this and it has to do with a refreshing of the control after the devices are added.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks for the indication regarding the saving of the plugin settings. As it turns out, the active source has to be explicitly set, after the adapter has connected to the AVR. And this time the source must be 'TV'. I guess this is needed, since my TV is the actual receiver of the IR remote control commands (the AVR is not fully CEC-compliant):
Screenshot 2020-09-12 100619.png
Screenshot 2020-09-12 100619.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 148 times
This EventGhost-command paired with the 'PulseEight.Adapter.HTPC.Connected'-Event in a macro does the trick.

So now everything works as intended, thanks again for the support.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:03 pm

That's the largest problem with CEC. they never made it so that the entire protocol had to be implemented and it was never made so that manufacturers couldn't alter it to suit their own needs. It's kind of a bum deal because of it. Had the specification been written to accommodate those things then it wouldn't be a dying protocol. Now you are seeing all kinds of spin offs of it. Each manufacturer has their own name for it and it works only between their devices
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

I fully agree, in my case it's an almost ten year old Samsung TV providing the ominous Anynet+-protocol in combination with an AVR from Denon. But as long as i can find a working configuration for my setup and guys like you who keep CEC alive, i am happy :D

Kudos

CraziFuzzy

Post by CraziFuzzy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 am

I'm totally new to this adapter (and mostly ew-new with eventghost, which I haven't used in years). That said, I was pretty successful so far getting eventghost up and running with my new Pulse-Eight CEC adapter. I can see CEC events, and trigger macros with them. So far, it looks like I'll be able to build what I need - with one exception. I would like to be able to actually wake my PC from standby when the TV is turned on, but I so far have not gotten the HDMI-CEC device to actually wake the PC from sleep. The device DOES appear to be capable, or at least it's HID-Compliant Mouse component seems to be capable of waking the PC, but no events on the HDMI-CEC seem to cause the PC to actually wake up.

Is there a utility that will enable this capability?

CraziFuzzy

Post by CraziFuzzy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 am

Okay - so maybe I spoke too soon about being able to get things going - and it looks like my problems are similar to the above posters. When I press a key on the remote, it sends a single Press event, but doesn't send a release event until I press a different key on the remote - after which it immediately sends the pressed event for THAT key.

Interestingly, if I mess around in the plugin settings, select say the UP command in the drop-down of the plugin, and set the repeat interval to 0 ( to use what the tv is sending ), that chosen command works perfectly. Press the up key once, and I get one RemoteKeyPress.Up event. Press the button sequentially 4 times, and i get 4 RemoteKeyPress.Up events. Press and hold the Up key, and I get a series of RemoteKeyPress.Up events. The problem is, as far as I can tell, I can only select one button for this behavior.

This is using the recently posted 4.11b plugin. Speaking of which - what is the method one should take to upgrade the plugin? I fought quite a bit getting the updated plugin installed. I pretty much had to start from a fresh file to get it to work without throwing errors when trying to get into the configuration page.