Z-Wave

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:39 am

Well that depends. how long does it take for homeseer to show the change of a device?... So if you go and turn off a light how long until homeseer tells you that it is off?

This plugin also exposes all of a zwave devices variables and settings. It is raw in nature meaning there are no fancy GUI's based on what type of device it is.

The best feature of this plugin is it's ability to dynamically change polling. Every device needs to be polled for it's state. Even ZWave plus devices. Because there simply is no guarantee that a packet made it where it needed to go. You can set up a macro that will ensure that a device changes when you tell it to. You would add an action where you could increase it's polling rate then another action to send the command to the device. then another action to verify the change of the device. and if the change was successful then you can decrease the polling back to where it was and exit the macro. This single thing keeps your network at it's most efficient. You can selectively set which devices have a higher priority and you can set the polling for the devices according to that.

If your HA is aware if you are home or not then there is no need to poll the lights in the house if no one is home. But if you have security sensors you would probably want to bump up the polling on those when you are not home. and vice versa.

I have not used homeseer's zwave at all So i cannot say if it is better or not. I can tell you that this one if free so to test it out does not cost you a single penny.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

landolfi

Post by landolfi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi,

This may have been answered here before but I can't see most of the attachments.

When I install the Zwave plugin on EG 0.5.6 I get the message that the core files were updated and to restart EG, But when I try to restart, EG reminds me to save config changes, and when I click Save I get this error:

4:07:45 PM Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc6):
4:07:45 PM File "wx\_core.pyc", line 16766, in <lambda>
4:07:45 PM File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\App.py", line 63, in Exit
4:07:45 PM if eg.document.CheckFileNeedsSave() == wx.ID_CANCEL:
4:07:45 PM File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Document.py", line 128, in CheckFileNeedsSave
4:07:45 PM return self.Save()
4:07:45 PM File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\ZWave\__init__.py", line 941, in save
4:07:45 PM eg.document.SaveAs = self._save_as
4:07:45 PM AttributeError: 'ZWave' object has no attribute '_save_as'

Do I need any particular hardware? I have a Smartthings Hub and ideally I'd be able to use this plugin to control devices connected to it, whether through the hub or bypassing it, but I know what a PITA the hub is to work with so it's probably not possible.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 am

I hate to be the bringer of bad news... This plugin is not for controlling/accessing ZWave devices that are attached to a standalone controller, it is designed to be the controller. You need to get a USB Z-Stick like what Aeon labs makes to use the plugin.

But then again it might not be bad news. a Z-Stick is about 35.00 USD so not horribly expensive. Dirt cheap actually compared to the SmartThings hub. The other thing is that companies that make these standalone controllers try to get them to do to much considering what the hardware is. So the more ZWave devices you have the slow the thing is going to become. Then if you add in anything else like connecting to TV's or security systems... It's terrible. EG is limited by the hardware that you install it on. you have the ability to upgrade that hardware to make it faster unlike most standalone controllers.

I will say this. This ZWave plugin is hands down the fastest ZWave implementation I have seen to date. 100 millisecond (0.1 second) status updates from the devices. Not minutes as seen in other HA applications and dedicated controllers.

landolfi

Post by landolfi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I reread the announcement of the plugin again and realized you clearly state only the Z-Stick is supported. But with that said it looks like the EG Zwave plugin gives me some control that the ST hub doesn't. Also, I've already suffered through the experience of an ST hub failure that required tech support reading me back all of my settings over the phone for a new hub because getting it from their cloud was the only way to get it back. The ST hubs last only a few years in my experience and we're close to that already, so the Z-Stick sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion and the plugin.

I did finally get the Smartthings REST commands to work in EG via Python HTTP, but the ST API documentation leaves a lot to be desired, it's confusing and makes a lot of assumptions about the audience, and it still only provides access to what they want you to access.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 pm

The ST hub is like most other give out there. Extremely underpowered and overloaded. The ST documentation is not great I have also heard from others. When Samsung dumped supporting my washing machine and dryer only after 4 years I was kind of made. This was the single largest reason why I had purchased them. They did not update the firmware for them and make a public API to control them. They simply will not allow them to connect with their servers. Now this causes a HUGE problem because it attempts to connect multiple times and the processor they used in the things are only single threaded single core processors. So while it is trying to connect the machines just sit and nothing can be done. This takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. I spent 3000.00 for the machines and I am being forced to buy new ones after only 5 years of use. This is complete BS in my book.

So expect them to do things like that with the ST as well. No matter what HA software/hardware you choose. Make sure that you choos one that has no reliance on anything internet based. No clouds nothing like that. Myself and other plugin developers have arrived to make direct connections to devices instead of going the easy route and using a manufacturers cloud API. We do not like to have others make changes that can break our programs. Especially since what can potentially get broken can possibly cause serious problems in someone's home.

I will pick back up where I left off at some point and continue writing a pure python ZWave engine. Using OpenZwave I was able to get engine to start up providing 95% accessibility to the devices in a few seconds. And the last 5% would take place over time as devices were checked for their existence. Most ZWave engines take 5+ minutes to provide any access and that is for a network with as few as 20 devices. This is simply no good.

I decided to not use OpenZwave because like most other engines it is not complete and is missing large portions of the available controls. The author does not want to add the missing pieces either. No engine made to date is complete that I am aware of.

landolfi

Post by landolfi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 am

Hi,

OK, I got a Gen5 Z-Stick! Really looking forward to using the network path tracing feature and getting control of these devices without the clunky approach ST uses.

I am trying to install the ZWave Plugin and I get the same error someone else was getting early on with I think v0.5.5 although I am installing 0.5.6:
egZWPlugin.png
When I check the COM port and enter the network name, EG quits, and when I restart it, the ZWave plugin isn't in the config tree. I am running EG as admin.

I installed the INF from Aotec's support page. That's all I've done. Do I need to have a network set up on it already?

landolfi

Post by landolfi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:33 am

OK. I got it working. Even though I never got the message about manual installation, I installed EG and the ZWave plugin on a different PC and got the manual install instructions. I already had all the backup files, but this was what ended up solving it:

copy "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\ZWave\python_core\python27.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\python27.dll"

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:16 am

Good deal on figuring out how to get it running. That error is because of an incompatibility between Stackless Python 2.7 and how Cython compiled the ZWave extension (DLL) that the plugin uses. This problem has been fixed in newer versions of Stackless Python and I will be updating the Python version when I get a release all done up.

Now the ZWave plugin can be considered "vanilla" . There are no special GUI's for all of the different device types. Controlling a device is all handled through a single action. This action allows you to access every single setting that can be made on a device. There is also a "get" action. you can get all kinds of information from a device. EG is not a "Smart Home" application so there is no fancy Web GUI for controlling devices manually. EG is an Automation application, this is where you set up what to do a single time and it will run it for you automatically.

An example would be.
If you have your favorite HTPC application attached to EG and you get events for when a movie starts playing or stops playing you can tie those events to dimming the lights up or down. You do not need to have a fancy GUI to do this manually. EG is designed to only have user interaction when setting things up, after that there is no need to have you do anything else.

Here is another example.
A vacation timer. So if you went on vacation you can press a button on a remote and turn on the vacation mode. This mode would randomly turn lights on and off and at random light levels if the switch is a dimmer. This makes it appear as tho someone is home.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:16 am
EG is not a "Smart Home" application so there is no fancy Web GUI for controlling devices manually.
That's right. However, you can turn it into one with this plugin:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10442
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink: