Apple TV Plugin

Got a good idea? You can suggest new features here.
Statikk

Apple TV Plugin

Post by Statikk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Would one of you awesome plugin developers be willing to look at this and see if you can make an Apple TV plugin out of it? :D

https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-appletv

Statikk

Re: Apple TV Plugin

Post by Statikk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Actually this would probably be what you would need to work with:

https://github.com/postlund/pyatv

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:44 pm

That module is for python 3. EG uses python 2.7. This will likely be possible in the future, but not with current versions of EG.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm

We are currently working on making a variant of EG that does run python 3.5. it is still a ways off. But it is something that you will be able to do.

a very optimistic timeline would be a year out. Ya never know. ya never know I may get a wild hair across my ass to get it done faster. or I may win the lotto and pay someone to do it.

The problem is not so much with EG it's self. The problem is with the 350+ plugins. I do not want to make additional work for the plugin developers. There may be no way around it either.
so we will give the developers time to address any issues/changes before we would even think of releasing it. at the very least for a few months.

I have a running test version and it still needs work. It does run. The biggest hurdle was getting the core to operate properly and it does.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

MarkerB

Post by MarkerB » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Let's think a little more meta about this!

One could always make an EventGhost plugin that's merely a wrapper to an instance of Python 3 running the pyatv library. This would be fine for a simple implementation, like just emulating the Apple TV remote.

I'm not sure I'm the one for this task, however, as I'm fairly inexperienced in Python. I have only used it to rewrite a few existing EG plugins for my audio receivers (this Marantz/Denon one and another upcoming one for my newer Yamaha).

I also barely use my Apple TV, so it's not a priority.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm

making a wrapper for python 3 is a wee bit more complex then would be apparent. there needs to be a way to send information back and forth between the 2. there is a multitude of different ways you can do this. But it still ends up with needing to create some kind of a communication protocol between the 2. A lot of thought needs to be put into it.

I am pretty sure you will see EG with python 3.5 sooner then you think. wqe are discovering all kinds of problems with wxPython 3 pretty bad problems too. and since python 3 is no longer being developed it is going to push us into wxPython 4. using wxPython 4 is thee single largest reason we have not moved to python 3 yet. a really large portion of the API has changed and it is going to require systematically going through each of the 400+ plugins and making them wxPython 4 compatible. The issue with this is making a plugin compatible for the new and old at the same time. it is going to require a massive amount of code. so this is something that is not going to happen. so when this move gets made there is no looking back. It is going to force people to have to upgrade to the newest version of EG. this is something we do not really want to have happen. but there may be no choice. I do not like to force people to make a change they may not want to make. but unfortunately unless we start compiling our own version of wxWidgets and wxPython and making code corrections to that source we will not be able to keep the backwards compatibility. modifying the wxWidgets and the wxPython code base is a HUGE thing to have to do. there is a massive amount of code across 4 different programming languages Trying to isolate the problem when we are not familiar with the code would take a very large amount of time. wo our hands are going to be tied in this. we have already done most of the conversions to the core of EG. we are going to have to go through all of the plugins and update those as well. I am not going to throw the plugin authors under the bus on this. they need to be full aware of when we are going to have a release. so thy will have ample time to make any updates that are necessary. We are also going to ask for assistance in converting these plugins as well. we have an extremely large plugin selection and all the help we can get we will take.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image