Network Event Receiver bug

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
eirik226
Experienced User

Network Event Receiver bug

Post by eirik226 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure about this. But I am fairly certain that the network Event receiver is bugged somehow.

I usually put my desktop in sleep mode manually (this used to work fine). I recently added Network Event Receiver to my tree (It's the only plugin I have on this computer) to be able to put my computer to sleep remotely.

So I use the Hibernate action.

After I added the network event receiver my computer keeps waking up at random intervals - can be 1 hour down or 5 hours, but it will still wake up.

This NEVER happened before I installed the plugin. I do not have any error logs to show since my computer only wakes up. I've tried to all the solutions I can find. As I said, i'm not 100% sure about this. It can also be an app called Wake on Lan I recently installed on my phone, but I have my doubts.

Eirik

Snowbird
Experienced User

Re: Network Event Receiver bug

Post by Snowbird » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,

when your computer is in sleep mode, it means that Windows is not running and obviously nor is EG... so it has nothing to do with EG, you could try it yourself, just remove the Network Event Receiver, and put your computer to sleep mode manually and you will get the exact same behavior...

What I think, is that there is something on your network (a network device, or a computer, a smartphone, etc.) that sends some broadcast packets randomly (maybe to check if a certain network service is available), and some of these broadcasts are waking up your computer through the WOL (Wake On Lan) feature. That's the only possible explanation, especially when you say the wake time is random.

Good luck !

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Maybe I should have said that it was the network event sender on my other computer - I only got this behavior after I installed the sender on my HTPC and the receiver on my desktop. I'll try disabling them later today too see if the computer remains in sleep after that. I can't think of any other explanation, but as I said i'll do some more research later today.

Thanks for replying.

Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Post by Luca Brasi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 am

Don't know if it's related to Network plugin. But it might if you have waking by pattern match activated on your network device on the other machine.
If you wanted to wake up your machine from the network you will use magic packets. So no harm to deactivate it pattern match. Just check if it is enabled and deactivate it. If the wakes are gone all is fine...
Win10 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / MCE Plugin / MCE RC6 Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal / kodi

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm

That might be! I'll look into it - still weird that it only started behaving like this after I installed these plugins, might be random of course.

Thanks for the response, will report back.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

I made a plugin that will throw an event if the computer receives a WOL packet. This will be able to tell you if that is what is happening. but also it will tell you where it is coming from.

cheers

WOL plugin
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks a lot! I'll try it out :)