Solved: Auvisio VRC-1100 stopped working after Win 10 update 1607

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
wezzix

Solved: Auvisio VRC-1100 stopped working after Win 10 update 1607

Post by wezzix » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:10 pm

I had the Auvisio VRC-1100 remote working with EG up until the Windows 10 update 1607 (KB3211320) was installed yesterday. I believe EGs supplied driver made this work.
Now after the update nothing in EG responds to the remote.
It appears that Windows has installed their own generic driver which I fail to get rid of. The default behavior is for the mouse pad to work and left arrow produces the same Keyboard.Left event as the actual keyboard. Useless.

There is now a USB Composite Device called USB\VID_05A4&PID_9881 with a couple of child devices "USB Input device" USB\VID_05A4&PID_9881&MI_00 and USB\VID_05A4&PID_9881&MI_03 which appear in Device Manager as HID-compliant mouse and HID Keyboard Device, and also a "USB Input Device".
Disabling, uninstalling makes no difference. EG driver install fails regardless, and upon unplugging and plugging in the receiver, the devices reappear even after I uninstalled them.
In the event log there are some Windows Error Reporting events at the time of the install such as "PnPGenericDriverFound" followed by "PnPRequestAdditionalSoftware" and lastly "PnPDriverImportError":

Code: Select all

Event Name: PnPRequestAdditionalSoftware
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: USB\VID_05A4&PID_9881&REV_0121&MI_01
P3: 10.0.0.0
P4: 0409
P5: input.inf

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: E000022F
P3: driver.inf
P4: 9a14258c1df49e2e31cd577e706499ab040949fc
Is there a remote chance of getting this to work with EG again (pun intended)?
Using EG 0.4.1.r1722 on 64 bit Win 10.
Thanks

Update
Solution: Follow the direction located here
Last edited by wezzix on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Auvisio VRC-1100 stopped working after Win 10 update 160

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:00 am

I am assuming that this device is USB.

download this piece of software.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip

it will allow you to uninstall (delete) the device. not just hide it like windows does. and it will also show you all of the nifty USB device drivers you have installed but may not have the device for. it's a good housekeeping tool

once you have done that do not restart your system... go and run EG. and reinstall the plugin.. i believe this process should install the EG driver. chime back in if you have an issue or even if you don't so we know what does and does not work.

Thanks..

K
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

wezzix

Post by wezzix » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help!
Yes it's a USB receiver.
Regarding how to get the EG driver installation dialog to pop, you don't need to reinstall the plugin. Simply disable / enable it is sufficient. However, the dialog only pops if all three USB devices are present (Composite + 2 HID input devices).
So I brought up the EG driver dialog first, and then tried various combinations of uninstalling the three usb devices before installing the EG driver. In the end, the driver installation just fails the same way.
I attached a screen shot of the USB devices and default drivers.
So, I have no clue what to do next. I'd buy you one of these remotes if it would help you debug it.
Cheers :)
Attachments
USBDeview-Auvisio.PNG
Auvisio VRC-1100 Ro usb device with default HID drivers

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:12 am

it looks like you have a corrupted USB driver stack.
the reason why i say this is because of the device names. they aren't names. and the instance ID's (vendor/hardware ID) don't look proper. this is probably why you are having issues with windows installing the wrong driver. but also why EG won't install a driver for it... they rely on those ID's

ok first thing is i want you to open a elevated (run as administrator) command prompt. and type in

sfc /scannow
this is going to do an integrity check on every single windows file, and attempt to fix/replace it. so it may take a while.
when it is done i want you to then key this into the elevated command prompt window.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
this is going to make a file called sfcdetails.txt on your desktop. reboot your computer and see if the problem is resolved. but still attach that file in a PM to me. there could be other things that are damaged and windows wasn't able to repair them. windows has a notoriously bad Update system.. that usually breaks more things then it fixes. this is the reason why i will usually seek out a redistributable for each and every single update. and run them one by one. And I would tell you if it ain't broke then don't fix it.. but you are using windows 10... nuf said :shock:

and if that didn't work then we can smack the USB stack with a big stick and do the following

[BIG STICK]
you need to go into your power settings and set power button on your computer to do a shutdown. because you are going to lose all USB devices doing this. and you need a clean way to shut down windows
and when windows starts back up it will reinstall all the drivers..

so step 1: change the power button to do a shutdown..
step 2: use usbdview and uninstall every driver specific to a device. except the mouse. because yours is corrupted you may have to plug and unplug devices and watch for what turns gray and what doesn't. do not uninstall anything other then a device.. the easiest way is to unplug everything except for the mouse... then uninstall everything that doesn't say it's plugged in.

then step 3. you can do this 1 of 2 ways. using usbdview find your mouse. and then find which USB hub is the parent... that is going to be the last one you uninstall... or you can go through each USB hub and uninstall them and if the mouse stops working then move it to another port. the issue with the 2nd method is that sometimes there are additional USB headers on the main board that are not connected. and they will still show as having drivers installed.
[END BIG STICK]

I am going to do a little research on this as a just in case and see if there might be another way.. and i also want to make sure that it is specifically related with the update. and it could be that removing just that one update fixes it.. but this looks like file corruption. and if the reload of the stack doesn't fix it I want to be armed with some more knowledge on what could have caused this. I have dealt with it before.. just can't seem to get the acorns rollin around in my bean to give me the fix i have used in the past..but what i am telling you to do is part of it.. i am sure when i am 90 I will remember what it is LOL. but the 2 above mentioned things can't hurt and can fix it. but just in case.....

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:34 am

that update causes all kinds of cool problems. like only 1 monitor working in a multi monitor display, keyboard and mouse intermittently die. TCP/IP stack corruption.. blah blah blah... ya gotta love microsoft

Elcarl

Post by Elcarl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Do you think you would love Linux more?:) But I must agree, every update of Windows brings new problems :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 am

shoot I am starting to use Linux more and more.. and i do like it's stability.. but if you do the wrong thing.. it's not just a point and click kinda thing to fix.. but windows is getting that way also.. but every now and again i find some great utility that makes life OOOooo so much easier..

for example... have you ever had a program you install.. then wouldn't uninstall... because something got all messed up... and forever it would remain in your uninstall programs unless you manually went through your registry and removed every single key to that program.. writing down all the GUID's and finding those.. and then praying to the microsoft registry gods that when you reboot your computer it will actually turn back on again...

well microsoft at some point in time released a "Fix-It" tool that actually worked.. LOL all you would have to do is get the GUID of the program. and enter it in there... and it would go and do the dirty for ya.. I happened upon this little gem at some point many moons ago.. and I have kept it ever since.. I do recall trying to locate it on the internet while working on a friends computer and I was unable to find it.. ever since then i keep that program in a special place.

on a rare occasion i will get some kind of a bad voodoo malware thing on my machine.. doesn't happen all that often.. but it does happen.. and i get to a point when i am trying to remove it where i make it my personal mission to get rid of the thing instead of reinstalling windows which only takes about 15 minutes for me to do on my machine. IDK I get weird about things like that.. I had an ongoing issue for a long while where my USB ports would stop working if the computer went to sleep. and it would force me to have to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.. it would do this for every single device except the keyboard.. and no matter what port the keyboard was plugged into it would always stay working.. have you ever tried to go and removed and reinstall all of your USB hubs in device manager using only your keyboard... it sucks! i finally found the issue and it had nothing to do with USB drivers it was my video card drivers.. ATI has a filter driver that was messing them up.. when i went and remove the keys in the registry it all started working.. I came across it when i was manually deleting every single driver for my usb ports and all related devices from the registry.. one at a time.. to see what was causing it.. and low and behold some ATI driver that installs with the video card drivers was locked to every single hub. and every single time i upgrade the video card drivers i have to go and remove this filter driver.

but it goes to show how odd windows can behave and that something completely unrelated can cause problems.

but my suggestion to you since you can't uninstall that hotfix. is to do a roll back.. there are 2 ways to do it. and it depends on how long you have had the update installed for.. you will have to search google to find out.

wezzix

Post by wezzix » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks for your wonderfully comprehensive answer! You obviously have a great deal of experience with the nitty gritty USB stuff.

So I did the sfc, and it seems that verification succeeded at 100%. Result file attached.

Then I used the big stick on the USB stack. Wasn't that hard at all. Mouse was plugged directly into computer, so I saved mouse to last and uninstalled all devices, then all composite devices, then most hubs, and last the mouse and one remaining hub at least attempted. By then the computer wasn't usable anymore, the mouse was uninstalled, but two hub ports were not by the time I shut the computer down. Can't tell if it matters or not.

Unfortunately it didn't help the Auvisio USB issue. EG suggested install drivers, which failed just as before. I ran usbdeview and posted a screen clip after reboot.

When you said rollback I thought of System Restore. I remember after upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 that system restore was turned off by default. So I turned it on again back then. I see now that it has been turned off since then, and that pisses me off just a bit. Microsoft must have decided to turn it off again for me.

There seems to be a way to uninstall the windows update KB3211320 as described here: https://windowsexploredforu.blogspot.co ... olved.html
Perhaps that's the way forward... Don't know what I'll miss out on in the future if I revert this "service stack" update, but it probably beats not having a remote for EventGost!
Attachments
USBDeview-reinstalled.PNG
USB after uninstall and reboot
sfcdetails.txt
(71.96 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:34 pm

ya know i was helping someone with this exact same problem before.. and I got no where with it.. but it just dawned on me..

why don't you go ahead and run EG in compatibility mode delete the currently installed drivers for the remote first. then run EG as a windows 7 machine. and also run it as an administrator. at the same time. and see if it goes.. I will see if the source files are included with the driver. and it's possible that it needs to be changed to add windows 10 compatibility.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:29 pm

OOOOOk I have the solution!

YAY!!

Windows sticks it to ya once again without any lube..

They changed something with how drivers are installed in the 1607 update even tho according to Microsoft these are the things that have changed
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itp ... rsion-1607

and there is nothing about Driver Signing anywhere in there but they went ahead and gave it to ya.. jail house style LOL

but here is a solution. and 3 million people have done the download almost at the bottom of the page. so happy remoting!

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/ ... rsary.html

wezzix

Post by wezzix » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Oh I really wished for that to work, but no...

Followed instructions in http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/ ... rsary.html ...
Secure boot was already off and I ran
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
successfully and later also
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
successfully followed by reboot.
Auvisio VRC-1100 Ro driver still fails install.
The Driver Talent doesn't help with this particular driver, but did recommend update of other drivers such as graphics and audio.

I also tried creating a shortcut to EG and setting Compatibility mode to Windows 7. As administrator it doesn't launch at all. But regular start does. Starting normal EG as admin shuts down within 1 sec so I can't see what's in the log. However still not working.

I then tried this: http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to- ... indows-10/
Then this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... windows-10

Something has changed now though, because when I uninstall the device in USBDeview, they immediately (<3s) reinstall using the bad driver. Before they would only reinstall when reinserting the device.

Hmm. I'm leaning towards attempting to uninstall the KB3211320 update and see what happens.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 pm

i just want to make sure you did both of these in the same command window that was run as admin.. they both have to be done at the same time..
not one then test eg and reverse it then the other and run eg

bcdedit /set testsigning on
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
then reboot. and then run eventghost as administrator.. if it does not want to run as administrator.. you will have to go into a command window and key this in

runas /user:YOUR_COMPUTER_OR_DOMAIN_NAME\Administrator eventghost -debug
you will need to be in the eg directory for this to work.

it will produce a log file in c:\user\YOUR_USER_NAME\appdata\roaming\EventGhost folder. the file is log.txt. you can attach that so i can have a look see why the admin thing doesn't work properly

this problem has to deal with how windows changed the whole driver signing thing. and i may have to go and get the certs to sign the drivers because windows 10 has basically locked them out completely. even if you check that little box to install unsigned drivers. it doesn't matter it still will not do it. are you checking that box when you have it in test mode?? you should be

mrceolla

Post by mrceolla » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 am

I couldn't find a way to subscribe to this thread w/o posting. I want to see how this plays out as I too have failed to get this to work on Win 10 w/ EG. Sadly I do not have time to test this fix myself right now but I hope it is proven to work.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:26 am

we are doing out best.. and we have some pointers as to what the problem might be.. but the next step is i am going to have to add a debugging routine to eg.WinUSB which is what handles the install of the driver.

I do have one question tho.. does at any point the installer state it's downloading the driver?

mrceolla

Post by mrceolla » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 am

Yes, I do recall my instance performing the download routine.