EG Problem at startup

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
PooFox

Re: EG Problem at startup

Post by PooFox » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 am

Nah, I'm still on Win7 with no plans to ever update to 10 on this machine. I do run it on my laptop because I need some of the touch features. Running EG there too, but it's never had any issues. I'll go ahead and update it tho. Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you know if anything weird happens. :D

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:03 am

there are quite a few issues with windows 10. one of the biggest ones is that EG breaks the clipboard when you close EG. I know there are others but on a laptop the new events for battery life and power state and power type might be useful
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 am

Hi there. I was eventually forced to do a fresh install of Windows due to multiple other computer issues not related to EG, but now I have the problem again of my default config not being loaded and the attachments on this thread seem to have vanished. Could you possibly upload them again or PM them to me if you prefer? Thanks in advance.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 am

OOOooO.

Sorry about the deleted attachments. I was forced to delete a bunch of attachments i didn't want to delete but I had to. Moving forward we will not have to do this.

Let me read back in this topic a ways and refresh my bean. I will also look around to see if i can find the modified config file thing. what else was it that you needed?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 am

ok so here is the modified Config.py file. I found it

***EDIT***

I also just submitted the request to add this code into EG. hopefully the next version that gets released.
Attachments
Config.py
Overwrite the Config.py file in eg/Classes folder
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi and thanks for the prompt response! I should have archived these files I guess because now I need one more from you...the _init_.py file that's still on the thread is the one that causes EG not to open anymore. I think it's from the wrong build since you'd added another after realizing I was using 1722 build. Do you still have that file too? Thanks again!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:11 pm

I am going to make a recommendation try using Task Manager+. It is an upgraded version of the original, the author @boolean has corrected the flaws and also expanded onto it.

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Eeegads. That did not go well. EG wasn't starting so I re-installed it fresh, installed the Task+ plugin and immediately got boatload of errors. If I add that Config.py file you gave me, EG wouldn't even launch anymore.

TM+ 0.0.5, Win7 Pro x64

Sorry if I'm just doing something stupid and wasting your time...
Attachments
Log.txt
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 am

do me a favor. please upgrade to EG 0.5, it has fixed so many issues and added a lot of great features. gotten rid of a bunch of long time bugs and annoyances. improved stability. I know you aren't using windows 10 But in the event that you do at some point it is built to work properly with it. we have also greatly improved it's communications with windows

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 am

Ok that looks to have fixed my problems. Thanks for your help, I've been going through this OS re-install for the past week and it was so disheartening to still have many of the same issues after all that, so getting this sorted is a quite a relief. :D

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:23 am

what issues are you having?

and Oh I do recall me stating this
kgschlosser wrote:DO NOT REINSTALL WINDOWS!!!!
I just wanted to razz ya a bit about it. :shock: 8)

PooFox

Post by PooFox » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Well there were numerous problems with devices and drivers from me dicking around with hacky software etc over the last 7 years, so it was just time for a fresh start. E.g. Steam would not recognize Xbox controllers no matter what (now resolved), also you may recall my other thread where I was trying to use EG to figure out when and why keyboard modifiers were being activated, altering normal keyboard behavior in random and unsavory ways. After getting all my core drivers and programs installed, Windows is behaving much quicker and more predictably now. Only big issue I'm still having is related to Steam Controller randomly loading its default configs instead of mine. The re-install just couldn't be avoided (trust me, I tried HARD to avoid it). ;)

But hey, OT question: I have some actions using timers and if I try to do ANYTHING in EG during the timer process, it will hang crash. This was the case in the old version as well as the new. Is this a known issue and is there a workaround? I saw some stuff about using ScheduleGhost instead, but I don't appear to have that plugin and haven't looked into it yet.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:37 am

what timers are you talking about?

because there is the timer plugin and also schedulghost which is a plugin that uses dates and times where as the timer plugin is for a specific duration.

and you also have eg.schedule i believe that's what it is called. i don't honestly remember. LOL

But all of these use threads and in no way should cause EG to hang. if you are creating a loop of some sort in a python script that will cause a hang. or if you are using wait for a period longer then 5 seconds that will cause a hang also.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:01 am

If you had told me of your issues I could have told you what to do to clean out the machine. I have been working with computers for a very long while. Put it to you this way. My first computer used a casset tape (don't know if you remember/ever seen one) for it's storage. ya know back in the day when a floppy disk was actually floppy. 10mb MFM HDD that sounded like a coffee grinder weighed 10 lbs and you could almost heat a room with it.

But I have gotten pretty good at not reinstalling the operating system. I actually make it my mission especially if it involves malware/virus/spyware and the like.

I had an odd issue with my USB ports and my computer going to sleep. when I would wake it up the only thing USB wise that would work was my keyboard didn't matter if i plugged something new in or not. I had to uninstall the usb root hubs and reinstall them or reboot the machine. I do not know if you realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to remove 6 USB root hubs inside the device manager with only the keyboard to naviagte. took me almost 2 years but i finally found the issue. and it was actually caused by something my video card driver installed.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 am

also have a look at this program. as I know it does work I have tested it with EG not with games. but it should do the trick for ya

https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce