[FIXED] EG freezes in system tray, stops accepting commands

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
loomy

[FIXED] EG freezes in system tray, stops accepting commands

Post by loomy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 am

I don't know how to reproduce this right now, but it has happened to me three times in the past few weeks. Basically EG will stop responding after having used it for a while. This has always happened when it was in the tray. I have to close EG with task manager and reopen it. It has happened for the past several betas.

I don't see any logging so I don't know what to attach. But in the mean time I'm going to disable the default "limit memory consumption" option to see if the freeze happens with it off, just because it sounds suspicious to me :)

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: Bug: EG freezes in system tray, stops accepting commands

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Please try to start EG with the "-debug" option and try to capture a debug log when the error happens. Maybe this helps to find out what's wrong.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

loomy

Post by loomy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Bitmonster wrote:Please try to start EG with the "-debug" option and try to capture a debug log when the error happens. Maybe this helps to find out what's wrong.
Update:

I did so and noticed the "look at the log?" prompt when I closed it during normal use.

But when it actually froze and I had to shut it down manually with task manager, no updated log was made in \Application Data\EventGhost\ or \Program Files\EventGhost\. :(

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm

It will always append to \Application Data\EventGhost\ if -debug. The notice only comes on normal exit.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

loomy

Post by loomy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Bitmonster wrote:It will always append to \Application Data\EventGhost\ if -debug. The notice only comes on normal exit.
I think I read the modified time tag wrong :( You are right of course.

Attached is a log that should be the one that ends in the freeze. I'm not sure what time the freeze and manual close happened.
Attachments
Copy of Log.txt
(29.79 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Is it possible that EG was working all the time, but stops working as soon as you wanted to get it shown from tray?

loomy

Post by loomy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Bitmonster wrote:Is it possible that EG was working all the time, but stops working as soon as you wanted to get it shown from tray?
That is what I first thought -- maybe it was freezing just from trying to open it. It froze while using it once, but this was right after I tried to get it out of the tray, so maybe I began the freeze and then moments later it froze while I was using it.

I will test this for us by leaving it untouched for a day, and only interfacing with the remote. Then I will not use it, but will open it up from the tray many times over the day.

loomy

Post by loomy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:25 am

Bitmonster wrote:Is it possible that EG was working all the time, but stops working as soon as you wanted to get it shown from tray?
Yeah I've gone many hours and the remote works. But earlier I had clicked on the tray a few times over a few hours, and it locked up then.

Then just now I clicked three times on the icon and it didn't respond. I used the remote and one command worked, and that was it. This happened earlier too: after freezing in the tray, one command works and then no more are.

It feels to me like the hard drive accesses a lot when it freezes. It also feels almost like clicking the icon a bunch of times freezes it up.

It looks like this is the last moments of the program:
00:29:20: MainThread: Document.ShowFrame()
00:29:21: MainThread: Loading UndoableTasks
00:29:21: MainThread: Log.GetData()
00:29:21: MainThread: Document.SetTree(tree=<MainFrame.TreeCtrl.TreeCtrl; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'wxPyTreeCtrl *' at 0x1cdb050> >)
00:29:22: MainThread: Loaded module ToolBar
00:29:22: MainThread: Loaded module MenuBar
00:29:22: MainThread: StatusBar.OnSize(evt=<wx.SizeEvent>)
00:29:22: MainThread: StatusBar.OnSize(evt=<wx.SizeEvent>)
00:29:22: MainThread: Document.ShowFrame()
00:30:57: MessageReceiver: DeviceChangeNotifier.OnDeviceChange(hwnd=39323696, msg=537, wparam=7, lparam=0)
00:30:57: MessageReceiver: DeviceChangeNotifier.OnDeviceChange(hwnd=39323696, msg=537, wparam=7, lparam=0)
I think the above begins when I clicked the tray, and whens when I mashed the remote.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: [OPEN] EG freezes in system tray, stops accepting commands

Post by Bitmonster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:06 pm

The situation is this:
- I have seen this bug myself sometimes, but it was so rare (less than one time out of hundreds of uses), that I couldn't say it is a real bug or if it was simply some situation introduced somewhere else through my code/test/debug cycle.
- It seems to be some kind of deadlock situation that is triggered through the tray activation. But these are hard to debug.
- I'm also not sure if this bug happens only if you click the tray more often (because one gets impatient if the window does not appear immediately) or if this also happens if you only do a single double-click.

So the bug is on the to-do list, but I can't give any time schedule when I'm able to fix it.

loomy

Post by loomy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Bitmonster wrote: - I'm also not sure if this bug happens only if you click the tray more often (because one gets impatient if the window does not appear immediately) or if this also happens if you only do a single double-click.
I am going to test this for the team by only doing this for a while: right-click and Show Eventghost. Then if there are no errors, I'll only double-click for a while. Then if no errors, I'll go back to clicking many times when impatient :)

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:37 pm

Perhaps I have found the bug. Try 0.3.6.1159 and treat it harshly.

loomy

Post by loomy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 am

Will do! The only thing I found to freeze it was the classic "mash icon" clicking, so I'll continue to do that :)

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Have you seen any further freezes?

loomy

Post by loomy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:01 pm

Bitmonster wrote:Have you seen any further freezes?
I have not!

I have noticed the same sort of behavior that happened before the freeze, where it would take longer than usual for the window to load after double clicking on the tray, but even after mash-clicking during that delay the window has still been opening eventually. It is probably a second or two total that passes during this whole scenario.

I think the ghosts are smiling at us!!!

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] EG freezes in system tray, stops accepting commands

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Yes, sometimes it takes quite some time to show the main window, because the program has to load all libraries before it can create the window. It will only load them on demand and might later swap them out if no longer needed.

But I also haven't seen these freezes anymore, so I set this topic to [FIXED].