[FIXED] EventGhost stops responding

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
stanjordan

[FIXED] EventGhost stops responding

Post by stanjordan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:11 pm

EventGhost has been working well for me until recently. Now when I try to edit my configuration (add macro or add action), the application stops responding. I can only close it with Task Manager. I tried upgrading to ver 3.5c, but it has the same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Stan

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: EventGhost stops responding

Post by Bitmonster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Try the latest beta if it shows the same symptom. If it has the same bug, please attach your XML.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

stanjordan

Post by stanjordan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Bitmonster,
I tried the latest beta version. Same problem. I did find that I can delete items but the application locks up when I try to add anything. My xml file is attached.

Thanks for your help.

Stan
Attachments
StanConfig.xml
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:33 pm

The XML works fine here.

Please try the following:
1. Copy your XML to a safe place.
2. Uninstall EventGhost through "Add & remove programs" or its uninstall shortcut.
3. Look into your program files folder and delete the "EventGhost" folder if it exists.
4. Reinstall EventGhost.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:15 am

After playing around with your config, I might have found the bug. If you use emulate keystrokes while EG is the frontmost process, I could result in a block. In your config the jump to learnhelper was disabled (because the macro was disabled), but enabling it produced exactly your problem.

I've just uploaded 0.3.6.1056 that should fix this problem.

stanjordan

Post by stanjordan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:19 am

I've tried both suggestions: uninstall and reinstall, and the new build 1058. Neither solves the problem.

When I try to add anything (macro or action) the application stops responding. When this happens now I am able to right click on the EventGhost icon in the system tray and select "Hide EventGhost". I can then right click and select "Show EventGhost". When the application re-appears, it is responsive. But the same problem will repeat if I try to add anything. In the log window I get the following messages:
10:00:56 PM ---> Welcome to EventGhost <---
10:00:56 PM Autostart
10:01:22 PM Autostart
10:01:30 PM Traceback (most recent call last):
10:01:30 PM File "H:\Program Files\EventGhost\eg\MainFrame\__init__.py", line 857, in OnCmdNewAction
10:01:30 PM eg.Greenlet(UndoableCommands.NewAction().Do).switch(self.document)
10:01:30 PM File "H:\Program Files\EventGhost\eg\UndoableCommands.py", line 189, in Do
10:01:30 PM action = eg.AddActionDialog(document.frame).DoModal()
10:01:30 PM File "H:\Program Files\EventGhost\eg\Dialogs\Dialog.py", line 59, in DoModal
10:01:30 PM self.Destroy()
10:01:30 PM File "wx\_core.pyc", line 14045, in __getattr__
10:01:30 PM wx._core.PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the AddActionDialog object has been deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.[/color][/color][/color]

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 pm

I still can't reproduce the error here. :(

Please start EventGhost with the "-debug" CLI parameter, try to provoke the error and close EventGhost. It should then notice you about a log file written to disk. Attach this file here. It might throw some more light on the problem.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:45 pm

First you can also try to delete the EventGhost folder inside Windows application data folder. The path should look like:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\EventGhost\

But please make a copy of it before deleting it. If this fixes the error, I'm interested in looking at the files there to find the problem.

stanjordan

Post by stanjordan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:36 am

PROGRESS!!!!!

I deleted the EvenGhost folder and files in the C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\
as you suggested. This solved the problem. I can now make edit additions to my xml file.

BTW The \application Data\ path was hidden until I changed the View hiddend files and folders option.

Thank you very much Bitmonster for your help! The requested files in the deleted folder are attached.
Attachments
EventGhost.zip
(27.26 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 pm

I found the bug. The dialog to add actions was simply not visible, because it was outside the display area. It seems you have a multi monitor setup and have changed its arrangement at some time. EventGhost should check if the dialogs are visible of course.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] EventGhost stops responding

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Ok, 0.3.6.1060 should fix this error. All windows now verify if they are visible on the current display setup and move/resize themselves if necessary.