[FIXED] EG (sometimes) prevents Windows logoff/reboot/etc.

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
Maxime

[FIXED] EG (sometimes) prevents Windows logoff/reboot/etc.

Post by Maxime » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:57 am

Hi,

It seems that I have the same problem that somebody described in this thread: http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

As it was mentioned as fixed, I did not want to push the thread up and created a new one. Moreover, I don't have this problem on *every* EventGhost session.

But, quite often, it seems that something crashes in EventGhost Python files, resulting in errors displayed in the log, errors which prevent almost any action in EventGhost (no answer to remote commands, new errors while using any entry of the main menu, unable to exit EG if I don't kill it in the Task Manager, etc.):

http://maxime.abbey.free.fr/eventghost.png

The person who had this problem in the previous thread had a corrupted XML file. I don't think that mine is, as EventGhost sometimes works perfectly with it all day long. But, in case you'd like to have a look on it, here it is:

http://maxime.abbey.free.fr/medion.xml

As I'm French and use EG in this language, some information may appear in French. I use EG version 0.35 build 899 (seems to be the latest one) on Windows XP Home SP2 (French) with a Medion X10-compatible remote control. As I must go to work, I don't have time to give you the plugins I use (I've only added one to watch for application change events, IIRC) but I'll make a list later if you need it.

Thanks for your software.
Regards from France
Maxime

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:31 am

It seems something is blocking this PC on startup. The first error indicates, that the startup of the "HookThread" didn't finish in the time EG has expected. This time is 3 seconds and the startup of the thread should normally be done in milliseconds. Interestingly the thread has however started up correctly, because the System.Idle and System.UnIdle events indicate the proper work of this thread.

The "System.DriveMounted.M" event might have something to do with this behavior, if this drive mounts on startup of the PC. What kind of drive is it?
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

Maxime

Post by Maxime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy this week at work ;)

The M: drive letter on my computer is one of the two virtual CD/DVD drives I use from Virtual CloneDrive (the first one being L: ). I also have two other drives of that kind provided by Daemon Tools, respectively N: and O:.

Most of the time, these drives do not contain any image files, hence, they usually appear as empty optical disk drives.

In case you'd wonder, A: is my FDD, C:, D:, and E: are partitions of my HDD, F: and G: are my optical disk drives, and H:, I:, J: and K: are from my internal USB multicard reader.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Does this drive mount something at the Autostart of Windows?
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

Maxime

Post by Maxime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:44 pm

No. If I did not mount something during the previous session, nothing is mounted at Windows startup.

Moreover, if I remember correctly, unlike Daemon Tools, Virtual CloneDrive does not mount back a previously mounted image on Windows startup.

Hence, my Virtual CloneDrives are always "empty" (no images mounted) on Windows startup.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Are there other things that might stall the PC at the startup of EG? As said before, it seems something is heavily blocking the startup of EG and thats why the program raises a timeout exception.

For example if I insert a DVD-R in my old drive, the PC really stalls for a pair of seconds, till the drive has mounted the DVD-R.

Maxime

Post by Maxime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:47 pm

I have a *lot* of programs which run at Windows startup, but...

I tried to close EventGhost, and reloaded it immediatly after closing it... and the messages reappeared, while I restarted EG manually, not at Windows startup!

However, I also tried to close it and reopen it several times, and it initialized properly each time...

Don't know what to thing about this "bug"... I'm unable to reproduce it even after closing and restarting EG many times :?

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Ok, then I'm a bit out of ideas.

Let's see if the 0.3.6 branch is any better.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:25 pm

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378
Since we had the problem there again and the mentioned workaround seems to do it, I set this bug to "fixed".