[FIXED] MSVCR71

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
RuudG

Post by RuudG » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:59 pm

First of all, the new build unfortunately didn't solve the problem.

I looked for the various versions of the dll installed. In the non-working environment there are two with the latest build. In the EG folder there is v7.10.3025.4 and in a MS Office 2003 folder there is an older version v7.10.2179.0. And finally, no dll in the system32 folder.

In the working environment, based on EG v0.3.3, there are v7.10.3052.4 in the system32 folder, 7.10.6030.0 in the EG folder and the older one in a Office 2003 folder.

I copied vxx.xx.3052.4 in the system32 folder of the non-working environment (where there was none to begin with) to see if that made a difference, but that didn't work either.

So I did a final test. I've installed the two machines a few weeks ago using two differerent slipstreamed Windows installations. Both were made with nlite and includes SP2 and specific SATA drivers for the (same) motherboard. I still have the two iso's produced by nlite and installed them in a VPC guest in both of which I installed EG as well (are you still with me :D ) These are clean installs with no other apps.

And hey, in one virtual machine I get the missing dll popup and in one I don't. And this coincides with the Windows installs used on the two real machines. So there could be something wrong with the windows version of the HTPC. However, besides the EG problem, it works fine. And I fail to understand why it would cause a missing dll error, while the correct dll is present in the EG folder.

I hope you have a good plan B, before I try whether a reinstall of Windows would help :P

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:13 pm

Argh. This bug is really weird.

Are both systems Win XP Pro or Home?
I will try to install a virtual machine here to see if I can reproduce the error.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Another test you can try:
Place another copy of the DLL inside the "lib" directory of EG.

RuudG

Post by RuudG » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Bitmonster wrote: Are both systems Win XP Pro or Home?
Pro.
Another test you can try:
Place another copy of the DLL inside the "lib" directory of EG.
Nope, didn't work either.

I appreciate your efforts to solve the problem very much. I prefer EG over Girder, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:17 pm

I just installed WinXP/Pro/SP2 without any updates on a virtual machine and EG starts up normal. The only other DLL version installed is 7.10.3052.4 in system32. I'm now installing all updates (including .NET1.1 and 2.0) to see if this changes anything, but I fear the worst, that it will also run.

How big is the ISO you have installed on your HTPC? Maybe it would help, if I could get my fingers on it.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Ok, as expected, it works after the updates also. The version in system32 hasn't changed, so my next try was to update it manually to 7.10.6030.0. But it works also. Then I removed the one from the EG directory. It worked also. So actually EG can run with both versions and it makes no difference if it finds one in system32 or in its own directory.

There must be going on something strange on your system.

One tool that might help to find another clue might be Sysinternals Process Explorer (now a part of Microsoft itself):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lorer.mspx

There you can search for any loaded instance of MSVCR71.DLL. Try to shut down any process that is using it and then try to start EG. Eventhough I don't have much hope. On my system Process Explorer shows, that EG perfectly uses the DLL that is installed in the EG directory. So I'm mostly out of ideas.

RuudG

Post by RuudG » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I know Process Explorer. Great tool, I use it all the time. No running instance of MSVCR71.DLL.

So probably WinXP itself is corrupted in a very peculiar way. I will reinstall Windows on my HTPC and will very likely find that EG works perfect. As it does on my other PC.

Thanks for all your work.

RuudG

Post by RuudG » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 am

I'm sorry, but I'm still not able to get things working properly.

I did some tests with clean XP installs. In all installations EG didn't work. However, in some installations EG started working after some random installs of other apps. So it appears, something important was changed by these random installs. The funny thing is that after uninstalling the apps, EG was still working.

Just to make sure, EG doesn't need anything special to be installed/configured?

And a wild guess, could it be hardware related? I use a dual core CPU, the Core2Duo E6600. Several apps I use, stopped working after the switch to dual core.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm not aware of any other package that might be needed to run EG. Some other users also have a Core2Duo and EG runs fine on their machines.

But maybe this is a bug of the newer wxPython libs. If you again have such an installation that wont run EG, try to install some old releases like 0.3.1 or even older.

RuudG

Post by RuudG » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:21 pm

try to install some old releases like 0.3.1 or even older.
Yes, 0.3.1 works in all XP installations. Thanks for your help.

The weird thing, as I said earlier, is that after some random installs of other software the most recent EG sometimes start to work. Huh??

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:53 pm

Yes, that's weird. All I can guess is, that some updates on Python, wxPython or py2exe has introduced this problem. But on Google I find no hint. And I never saw the error on one of my machines.

RuudG

Post by RuudG » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Bitmonster,

Your most recent official release solved the discussed problem. Thanks for your good work.

Ruud

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:27 pm

RuudG wrote:Your most recent official release solved the discussed problem. Thanks for your good work.
Ok, I set this bug to "fixed" state. Let us know, if it arises again.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!