[FIXED] Serial Plug-in - Errors on Load

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
Quantus
Plugin Developer

[FIXED] Serial Plug-in - Errors on Load

Post by Quantus » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:24 pm

I am a recent EG convert.

Before using EG I was only peripherally aware of Python, but I wanted to create a plug-in to control my Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver via RS232, so I decided to install the ActiveState Python package.

Before installing the ActiveState Python package, the Denon serial plug-in and the general serial plug-in loaded without problems. After installing ActiveState, the plug-ins load with errors. Uninstalling ActiveState had no effect, and neither did re-installing EG. To make matters somewhat more complicated, I am not certain that ActiveState is the culprit.

I have included a screenshot of the error. FWIW, I have played with the Serial plug-in code, and functions like pointer() and sizeof() seem to be failing.

Any suggestions? Or am I just going to have to give-up on serial control?

Thanks for any help

Mark

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:03 pm

Could you please update to the latest beta-version and try it again?
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86

Installing ActivePython or any other Python distribution should have no effect on EventGhost. EventGhost runs everything from its own Python-interpreter.
You normally don't need to install anything to develop plug-ins for EG, but if you install ActivePython you at least have a small editor that is Python-aware and you get Python's help-files. And this can be handy.

Quantus
Plugin Developer

Post by Quantus » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:08 pm

Well... I have no idea what the problem was, but your suggestion solved it.

Backed-up XML
Uninstalled EG
Deleted EG folder in Program Files
Installed 0.3.3 Build 740 Setup
Installed 0.3.3 Build 746 Update

Problem solved. Serial plug-in loads without a hitch.

Thanks!

Mark