event ghost is not opening my file

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
stevenwnt

event ghost is not opening my file

Post by stevenwnt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:39 pm

ok so I have been using the same file for event ghost for years and without changing anything its failed with this error

Code: Select all

---> Welcome to EventGhost <---
    Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc6):
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MainFrame\__init__.py", line 275, in FuncWrapper
        func()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MainFrame\__init__.py", line 868, in OnCmdOpen
        self.document.Open()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Document.py", line 394, in Open
        self.StartSession(filePath)
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\Document.py", line 501, in StartSession
        eg.eventThread.Func(eg.eventThread.StopSession)()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 324, in __call__
        self.returnValue = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventThread.py", line 83, in StopSession
        actionThread.Func(actionThread.StopSession, 120)()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 324, in __call__
        self.returnValue = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionThread.py", line 125, in StopSession
        eg.document.autostartMacro.UnloadPlugins()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\AutostartItem.py", line 111, in UnloadPlugins
        child.info.RemovePluginInstance()
      File "D:\alexw\EventGhost\eg\Classes\PluginInstanceInfo.py", line 185, in RemovePluginInstance
        delattr(eg.plugins, self.evalName)
    AttributeError: X10
save: https://pastebin.com/SSptGMQ5
so I made this post before on Reddit and restart my pc seemed to fix it for a little bit then event ghost crashes on me and its happing a 2nd time even when I restart nothing seems to fix it
I tested this on 3 different versions
5.0 rc6
4.1 r1722 (it was made in this version)
4.1 r1509

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: event ghost is not opening my file

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:04 am

Corrupted.. I did the best I could with repair. You may have some things missing. I marked the items that I was not able to determine what it was supposed to do or where it was supposed to go.

There is an action that is set as a disable action. I do not know if this action actually was supposed to be a disable action. You will have to sort that one out. It looked as tho some macros may have gotten cut in half. But I am not 100% sure on that one. so you may have a macro where the back portion of it is in another macro. I placed most of it into a single folder at the bottom of your tree. There is 1 or 2 macros that are not in that folder. so look around.

You have an extremely involved EG setup there I am going to guess that you do not have a backup. You might want to consider using a program called robocopy it's a command line utility that you can setup to copy the file to another PC for backup. you can do all kinds of nifty things with it. You are going to have to do some reading to set it up.. But this is a good motivator..

I am sorry if you lost some things in your tree I did the best that I could do. it looks mostly in tact. Hard for me to know because I do not know what it looked like before hand.

I can't even tell you if the problem was even EG related. It looks as tho there were multiple EG sessions writing to the same file. and each one was writing a slightly different version of the tree. This could be a hard disk issue. it could have been a system crash or an EG crash happening in the middle of writing the file.. who knows.

in EG 0.5 I re wrote the config file writer so if there happened to be an error during the process of collecting the data it would not corrupt the file. I am going to put into place the same kind of thing if there isn't one already for the save file. for some reason I think there is already one in place.

You didn't manually edit this file at all did you? this kind of thing can happen from editing an XML file without an IDE that validates XML.

Just to let you know there is no "automatic" repair utility for this kind of thing. I had to go through each of the 7934 lines of code and fix the errors by hand.

new file is attached. it is also save in EG 0.5 format.. if you want to load it in eg 0.4 simply change the .egtree extension to .xml
Attachments
repaired eventghost tree.egtree
(347.82 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:10 am

I can say this. at the very least you will not have to redo all of the work.. maybe some of it.

There is only one person that I know of that has a more complex tree then that one.. and that is me. and mine chimes in at some 50K lines of code. You are second largest that I have seen.

I am telling you from past experience you DO NOT want to have to rewrite the whole tree.. so backups backups backups. hell make backups of the backups. PLUS.. if you make any semi large changes use save as and write it to a different file and then stash the old save file somewhere.

stevenwnt

Post by stevenwnt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:51 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:04 am
Corrupted.. I did the best I could with repair. You may have some things missing. I marked the items that I was not able to determine what it was supposed to do or where it was supposed to go.

There is an action that is set as a disable action. I do not know if this action actually was supposed to be a disable action. You will have to sort that one out. It looked as tho some macros may have gotten cut in half. But I am not 100% sure on that one. so you may have a macro where the back portion of it is in another macro. I placed most of it into a single folder at the bottom of your tree. There is 1 or 2 macros that are not in that folder. so look around.

You have an extremely involved EG setup there I am going to guess that you do not have a backup. You might want to consider using a program called robocopy it's a command line utility that you can setup to copy the file to another PC for backup. you can do all kinds of nifty things with it. You are going to have to do some reading to set it up.. But this is a good motivator..

I am sorry if you lost some things in your tree I did the best that I could do. it looks mostly in tact. Hard for me to know because I do not know what it looked like before hand.

I can't even tell you if the problem was even EG related. It looks as tho there were multiple EG sessions writing to the same file. and each one was writing a slightly different version of the tree. This could be a hard disk issue. it could have been a system crash or an EG crash happening in the middle of writing the file.. who knows.

in EG 0.5 I re wrote the config file writer so if there happened to be an error during the process of collecting the data it would not corrupt the file. I am going to put into place the same kind of thing if there isn't one already for the save file. for some reason I think there is already one in place.

You didn't manually edit this file at all did you? this kind of thing can happen from editing an XML file without an IDE that validates XML.

Just to let you know there is no "automatic" repair utility for this kind of thing. I had to go through each of the 7934 lines of code and fix the errors by hand.

new file is attached. it is also save in EG 0.5 format.. if you want to load it in eg 0.4 simply change the .egtree extension to .xml
omg thank you so much you have no idea how much this help you are a lifesaver
I know that must of took you a long time to do I wish I could give you something in return but I can't all I can do is say thanks

stevenwnt

Post by stevenwnt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 pm

that fixed it thx

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm

gratitude is an acceptable form of payment.. LOl.. It's not a big deal.

Make sure you do backups computers are not infallible. I am sorry if you lost anything but at least you will not have to start from scratch.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 am

How much did you lose?? and how bad did I do repairing the damage?