Turn Off Monitor action crashes Eventghost.

Found a bug in EventGhost? Report it here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Turn Off Monitor action crashes Eventghost.

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

and that is great that nircmd is working. I do not know the mechanism they are using. and also are you running nircmd as administrator?

what version of windows are you using?
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:48 pm

kgschlosser, i run it from EG:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<EventGhost Version="0.5.0-rc4">
    <Macro Name="Turn Off Monitor" id="94" XML_Guid="{157AF94D-4110-4622-A95D-909E9DE4C11A}">
        <Action XML_Guid="{46CA2B30-92A5-4148-8E11-054A809B9136}">
            System.Execute(u'P:\\NirCMD\\nircmd.exe', u'monitor off', 0, False, 2, u'P:\\NirCMD\\', False, False, u'', False, False, False, False)
        </Action>
    </Macro>
</EventGhost>
Version - latest Windows 10 Pro 1709
VGA: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III V2/OC (3GB) Drivers 17.10.1
Sin©erely yours, Neytrino.

copota

Post by copota » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I might have found whats causing the conflict. EG's sleep monitor action might be conflicting with Logitechs Gaming software for mouse and keyboard. Specifically the Logitech Discord app, which can be deleted in it's program folder. But it may be conflicting with the Logitech software entirely.

I played around with closing Logitech services and uninstalling the Logitech program entirely. So far, I can execute the sleep monitor action without crashing when Logitechs services are not running.

I had a couple of freezes with EG when testing the sleep monitor action, but it recovered on its own within a few seconds.

I'm still not positive if Logitech is the main culprit, but for now I have their program uninstalled and will report back if EG crashes some more.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm

have you tried using the other monitor off action???

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 pm

what exact logitech software is causing the problem do you think? I have setpoint installed and everything is working as it should.

copota

Post by copota » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm
have you tried using the other monitor off action???
Yes, I've tried the other action. Still crashes EG.
kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 pm
what exact logitech software is causing the problem do you think? I have setpoint installed and everything is working as it should.
The specific program is called Logitech Gaming Software, I linked it below.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/produ ... /downloads#

EDIT:

BTW my mouse is a Logitech G502 and Keyboard is a Logitech Call of Duty MW3 G105.

Neytrino-OnLine
Experienced User

Post by Neytrino-OnLine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 am

I also have Logitech Software:
SetPoint
Options
Harmony Remote Software
MyHarmony
Sin©erely yours, Neytrino.

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Neytrino-OnLine wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 am
I also have Logitech Software:
SetPoint
Options
Harmony Remote Software
MyHarmony
I dont have any of those installed and I also get this error when using eg.plugins.System.MonitorPowerOff

thanks for the nircmd workaround!!!!
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
EG: v0.5.0-rc4

copota

Post by copota » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:27 pm

skribb wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:25 pm
I dont have any of those installed and I also get this error when using eg.plugins.System.MonitorPowerOff

thanks for the nircmd workaround!!!!
For me, the conflict was with a Discord applet that was installed with the Logitech Gaming Software for my mouse and keyboard.

If you have Logitech software installed, open your Windows task manager, and look for a running process named...

Logitech G Discord Applet (32 bit)

If you have that process running, that might be what's causing the issue with System.MonitorPowerOff.

You can disable the Discord app by going into the Logitech program folder located...

C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\ArxApplets\Discord

Find the file named "logitechg_discord.exe" and rename it to "logitechg_discord.old", then reboot your PC. That should disable the Discord app, and hopefully resolve the conflict.

This was my conflict, if you don't have this service running, then it might be conflicting with another service.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:25 pm

There could be another application as @copota suggested. This will be an app that most likley runs at startup.

The easiest way to isolate which program it is, is to run msconfig. do this with elevated privileges. It will give you the option to do selective startup.
Then I disable everything (except any program associated with a touchpad).

Restart Windows, and see if the problem still persists. if it does not. You can locate the executables for the various startup applications using msconfig. and manually run each of them. when you isolate the one that causes the problem please let me know the full file path including name and extension. as well as the program name.

I will build into the turn monitor off action the checking of running processes. and if the processes exists it will display a message informing the user of the incompatibility

If it is not a startup application. we need to find out what service is causing the issue. in msconfig you can show the services and there is a checkbox to hide all Microsoft services. leaving only the 3rd party ones.

Follow the instructions in this first post HERE

and perform the same steps to isolate the 3rd party service that is causing the issue. It WILL BE a 3rd party service causing the problem.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm

The reason why there is a crash from trying to turn the monitor off is because some dumbass programmer didn't handle the windows notification properly and is either taking to long while handling the reception of the message or has some kind of crash or app hang in their application that boogers up everything. I have spent a whole lot of time reading and learning the proper handling of windows notifications. including a single piece of information that a lot of application developers have failed to notice. in Windows 10 there were changes made that will cause all kinds of abnormal issues if you register for a windows notification in anything other then the GUI thread for an application.

If you are not running EG 0.5 this could also be the cause of the problem. as these changes were made in eg 0.5 to repair this specific issue.