Have I bought the wrong IR emitter?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
russco

Have I bought the wrong IR emitter?

Post by russco » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:15 pm

So I need to control my TV. I bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-Rem ... 2515045441, but it's arrived, and I'm not sure it'll do what I want it to. I want to be able to send IR commands from my PC, ideally from Eventghost, but it looks like the only thing this can do is just repeat signals it receives.

Does anyone have more of a clue about this than I do? Is it hackable?

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Have I bought the wrong IR emitter?

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm

That looks like an IR blaster so yes that just sends remote codes to external devices. You can still use event ghost to tell it which codes to send and when to send them though. What are you trying to accomplish?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

it looks to me as tho that is a contained system. in that usb there are probably no data wires. it uses the usb only for power or if there are data wires it would be for flashing the firmware on it.

I am going to suggest THIS ONE to you. I own this one personally and I have not seen a single remote that doesn't work with it.

This comes with a remote a blaster and a receiver
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

farbox
Experienced User

Post by farbox » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 am

OP, I think what you have bought is just a repeater/extender (as the item name says).

ie if your dvd player is behind cupboard doors, the receiver end of this item is left outside the cupboard, and the emitter is placed inside, and it just repeats the IR of what its receiving to the device inside, allows you to control your devices with the doors closed.
The usb is meant to attach to a TV to power on the transmiiter.

cvben

Post by cvben » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm
I am going to suggest THIS ONE to you. I own this one personally and I have not seen a single remote that doesn't work with it.
Listen to this man, I was going to suggest a lone transceiver that I use with some old remotes to busted tv sets, but a package that comes with a remote for that price is a great deal.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:52 am

I could make something up for a couple of dollars as well. But that setup for 20 beans that is a dual blaster with receiver and comes with the remote and all cables in a retail box is a steal.

and that specific setup I have personally. and coupled with EG using the MCE IR 7/Vista plugin picks up IR signals from any remote. I have not come across a remote that it doesn't work with (it even works with the 48 bit Samsung remotes). The only thing with it is when you first go to install it is you have to point the remote at the receiver and pick any button and tap it while plugging in the receiver to your computer. and you have to keep on tapping that button until all of the drivers have installed. it has something to do with the receiver going to sleep before the drivers have fully installed. it can happen on some computers. so better to do that process then have to fix it after the fact. (this holds true of any MCE Vista+ IR receiver.)

russco

Post by russco » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 am

jachin99 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm
That looks like an IR blaster so yes that just sends remote codes to external devices. You can still use event ghost to tell it which codes to send and when to send them though. What are you trying to accomplish?
That's good news. All I want to do is turn on my TV, that's it.

russco

Post by russco » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm
it looks to me as tho that is a contained system. in that usb there are probably no data wires. it uses the usb only for power or if there are data wires it would be for flashing the firmware on it.

This comes with a remote a blaster and a receiver
I already have a remote I know and love, and have set up to achieve various things with Eventghost. But it's a radio remote, so the only thing it can't do is turn on my TV, which is why I need a blaster. Does the blaster that comes with this accept commands from Eventghost?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Yes you can send IR to a device with it. it is a blaster as well as a receiver. and it works with EventGhost