Considering a new TV but I want to use EG to control it

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jachin99
Experienced User

Considering a new TV but I want to use EG to control it

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm in the market for a new TV partially because the one I have is pretty limited in terms of how I can control it. My current setup uses IR to change the volume through the MCE plugin, and thats about it. I know EG has IR AND CEC capabilities, and my current TV has CEC but I believe it has been poorly implemented so I only use it to pause netflix through Google Cast. Because one of my primary goals with my purchase will be better control of the TV through the use of an MCE remote primarily my question is which brands/models should I be looking at. I would like to get something that is 3D capable but its not a must, and so far I am looking at Sony, LG, and possibly Samsung if I want to give up 3D. Ideally I will be able to control it via WIFI which has me leaning heavily on Sony but if there are other models out there with robust EG plugins, what are they? Are there any models in particular I should look at? Thus far I'm thinking a 2015, 2016, or maybe even 2017 model. Thanks

m19brandon
Experienced User

Re: Considering a new TV but I want to use EG to control it

Post by m19brandon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 pm

I use a Global Cache ir blaster. Their site has all the codes and I highly recommend. It does require a few lines of code on the EG side but then you just copy and rename a few things per command.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:48 am

I was a die hard Samsung guy until they started locking out their API. so you will only get the ability to mimic remote control buttons on any of the models even the newer ones that do far more. I do not know how good Sony is as far as their TV's I used to love their XBR's actually my first flat panel was a 40" XBR 2 native 16:9 screen. that TV treated me well and I had it for 2 years or so. then i went Samsung because of the local dimming. almost every 2-3 years or so I would spend 4K on a new TV. This past time i decided i was going to try projection and check it out. And since I knew nothing about it i did some research and decided on a middle of the road Epson. I got the 3020 I had a lot of hangups as far as the screen goes as I knew this was the single thing that would make or break a projection setup. The screen along can take a 15K JVC projector and make it look like it was a 200.00 projector. and the screen could take a 200.00 projector and make it look like a 3000.00 projector. But to get a really good screen i was going to have to open up my wallet really wide. and this I was not willing to do since this was my first projection setup.

I did the research and I was able to purchase just the screen material from one of the best screen mfgs. after buying all the materials and specialty tools needed to build the screen I think it cost me total around 300.00 or so. and i paid 500 for the projector used. I do have to say this. it is stunning. and the cheapest TV I have ever purchased and it is 4 times larger then my 55 Samsung chiming in at just over 8.5 feet diagonally. and control on the Samsung you can do IR, RS232 and CEC. so if you have the space to do it.. my distance from projector to screen is about 10 feet. and you want a big screen. you should look into it. I can provide you with instructions on how to build the screen and where to get the bits to build it. and ebay is where you will be able to get yourself a projector.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm

I'll probably get a PJ for my media room at some point but right now, I'm trying to get a display for my living room, and a projector isn't as practical in there with our current furniture/ room setup. For the price, I'm seeing a lot of Sonys and LGs, and I know there is that sony network plugin that does just about everything I need but I see some LGs for cheaper. The drawback that I see from the LGs is that I'm not finding an EG plugin for it. I know there is still IR/Serial control but the Sony plugin looks like it can send events to the TV, and receive events from the TV. I think that could really come in handy because I could use TV events to activate trees/etc. My biggest problem right now is controlling Netflix and Amazon prime. I have three different versions of Netflix on my PC, and they all have different ways of being controlled so no one in my house really understands why the hell the remote doesn't work.

Boolean263
Plugin Developer

Post by Boolean263 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm

I have a Samsung TV, and I've recently started using EventGhost to control it (via LAN). I'm not unhappy with it. Like kgschlosser says, some of the most powerful stuff isn't accessible, but I can send remote codes to it which don't appear on the remote control that shipped with it, and it still works. For example, my remote control only has one "Source" selector for rotating between the different sources, but the network remote protocol supports buttons for directly switching to a specific remote.

Digression: I also have a Samsung Blu-Ray player, which also accepts network remote control actions, but it's a lot more limited in that regard. It doesn't accept codes to support specific input sources, so I have to fake it by repeated presses of Source with delays between them.

Neither one supports Wake-on-LAN. So I can't turn them on via EventGhost right now. I could switch to a RS-232 interface for the TV (maybe also the VCR), but that's more hassle than I care to expend right now.

If you're willing to go with a used Samsung, you may find one old enough to put SamyGo on, which would give you the power to do almost anything you could want on it. But Samsung has been locking down this sort of access to its devices for a few years now.

TL;DR: I'm fairly happy with my Samsung gear, but if you're an extreme power user you may find it lacking.
Windows 10 Home, version 1703, build 15063.540 · EventGhost 0.5.0-rc4 · wxPython 3.0.2.0
Python programmer for fun and profit. Dabbler in EventGhost plugin writing. Wiki gardener. General geek.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Really I need to be able to go to Netflix directly and preferably Amazon prime. Once I'm inside those applications I need to be able to navigate within them and use commands like pause play fast forward etc. That's about my biggest requirement

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm

hmmm.....

@jachin99

This all depends on if you live in the US. you don't have a location listed in your profile. and i am to bloody lazy to go and get your IP from the logs and do a reverse lookup on it.
But....

I do have a Samsung UN55D8000 the model right before they started locking them up. and this one has not been plugged in for over 2 years. so it hasn't received any firmware updates. It is in it's original box. with all original packaging. you can upgrade the TV to a 9000 for less then 200 USD by replacing the main board in it with the one from a 9000 because the 8000 and the 9000 have the same panel.

I tried using the serial on it but never got anywhere with it. not sure if the i was doing something wrong or the serial port just doesn't work. but the network works just fine. I have the original 3d glasses for it and also the Blueteeth remote/keyboard for it. I might be willing to let it go. You get a kick ass website done up and you pat the shipping on the TV and it is yours. I do not believe the shipping should cost more then 100 USD seeing that the TV only weighs something like 30 lbs or 40 lbs. I am pretty sure you would be able to flash it with a sammygo firmware if you wanted. I was trying to use the serial with a 3.3v ttl serial and I think the ex-link port is an actual RS232 and is 12 volt. I never bothered to check the voltages. or even to go into the hotel menu to make sure the thing is turned on. there is not a scratch on it. and I also have a stand for it as well. it is custom made that i would sell to you. the stand can support 300 lbs on the glass shelves, that was the custom made part about it. this does have some scratching on the bottom shelf which is wood from sliding my AVR out. so the scratches would be covered if you put something there. that shelf can be flipped over tho i do not remember if there are any scratches on the other side. i think there may be but are very minimal. I never used anything like windex or any kind of a glass cleaner on the screen as not to disturb the optical coating just a small amount of room temp water to dampen a microfiber to pick up the dust. In my opinion this was the last good TV that Samsung made because of the locking out the TV controls in newer models.

But also I did want to say. Do not buy a TV simply for it's control ability. because if it looks like shit then i don't care how much control you have over it it still looks like shit. To decide what TV to get you can't read a review or ask someone because your eyes see things differently then mine. so you have to go and look at them and see which one gives you the best for the dollar spent. you have to make that decision. and as far as a TV goes I personally think that 4K is a waste on anything 55" and smaller. You can notice it but it does not make that much of an improvement that makes it worth twice the money.

I can pull the Samsung out if you like and fire it up and take some photos if you like so you can check it out. but it's up to you.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Well let me start by saying I do live in the US, and i decided against the TV for the time being mostly because I do already have a TV in the living room, and with enough time and effort, I'm sure I can somehow make it easier to watch netflix on this TV. I used to have a Samsung Plasma, and I liked it a lot but it got cracked during my move last year. Your sammy is tempting because I like my old one and maybe later on down the road if you still have it I'll take you up on your offer but for the time being I chose to invest my money in Speakers. i got an entire dolby atmos setup for my media room for under a grand by purchasing budget Pioneer speakers. They get good reviews, and with 11 channels, I'm sure they'll be loud enough. About the Living room TV, my primary concern is ease of use because I sit ten to twelve feet back from the set when I'm in the living room. If I'm in the kitchen its more like fifteen to twenty so I don't really get close enough to see the details, as long as the colors are about right I won't notice much of a difference. I agree that 4k is a waste of time but having a set with HDR someday would be nice. With my current living room setup, I'm not even sure that I sit close enough to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. After all of this I still kind of drool over the Sonys because of the EG plugin, and Android TV but it looks like I'll have to live without all of that for time being. Thanks for the help.