Amazon Echo Skill EchoToEventGhost

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
m19brandon
Experienced User

Re: Amazon Echo Skill EchoToEventGhost

Post by m19brandon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 am

I know what you mean. My kids have figured out the tv.

dfawlt

Post by dfawlt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:15 am

I can't figure out how to not fire all python script macros simultaneously.

I've made 3 macros, each with an HTTP.EchoToEG inside, followed by the python script.

And then 3 macros, each with an event name (referenced in their own sister python script).

I've tried one macro with one HTTP.EchoToEG inside, and 3 python scripts.

I've tried one python script that has multiple if statements, but it will always revert to the else and ask me to try again.

I'm sure this is more a EG thing, but I'd really appreciate some help.\

TIA

m19brandon
Experienced User

Post by m19brandon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

They should run serially versus simultaneously. Is that what you are seeing?

arkania

Post by arkania » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Hey guys, quick question. When I try and fire an event I'm getting this format in eg:

HTTP.EchoToEG [u',ts',u",u'SessionId.xxx"]

Not sure when EG is getting the event from Amazon in this format. Any ideas? It won't fire macros properly for me in this format.

m19brandon
Experienced User

Post by m19brandon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm

The post from Amazon should be in this format. There is a sample py file in the download.

0 #command
1 #Location (deviceID)
2 #SessionID
3 #RequestID

arkania

Post by arkania » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Ah, okay, thanks so much!

User1306
Experienced User

Post by User1306 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 pm

just a quick question.
i'm about to buy another amazon echo Dot, and i was wondering if you can run the same skill on both to be able to interact with evenghost, or do i need to make a copy of the skill and add one skill on each device?
thanks in advance

m19brandon
Experienced User

Post by m19brandon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 pm

The version of the code from July will pass the deviceID to EG as part of the payload, you just need to map that out in your python code. No need for different skills name per device anymore.

I have 1 echo, 2 dots and Alexa on my cell. I say Alexa tell home to turn on the lights and the EG can figure out where I am based on the device ID passed. No need to say Alexa tell home to turn on the master bedroom lights anymore.

Hope that helps.

Atramhasis

Post by Atramhasis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank you for this cool tool, m19brandon!
The Amazon Services changed the UI a bit, so I had to think a bit how to set it up, but it works now!

Seenig e.g. @dfawlt struggle with the python script to switch all commands, I had a similar problem. You just have to use one script and the loop if: elif: else: (see docs).

An other problem was, that I use the german version of Alexa and it does not support LITERAL as slot type (just US english). So I have created a custom slot type ("LIST_OF_ACTION") and added all commands as values (a bit more work...). The utterance is simply:

Code: Select all

PerformAction {Action}
I also changed all english phrases (like "'Something went wrong,...") to german. @m19brandon Maybe you could separate the strings to make it easy to translate and update to newer versions?

MindEyes

Post by MindEyes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 am

Atramhasis wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm
Thank you for this cool tool, m19brandon!
The Amazon Services changed the UI a bit, so I had to think a bit how to set it up, but it works now!

Seenig e.g. @dfawlt struggle with the python script to switch all commands, I had a similar problem. You just have to use one script and the loop if: elif: else: (see docs).

An other problem was, that I use the german version of Alexa and it does not support LITERAL as slot type (just US english). So I have created a custom slot type ("LIST_OF_ACTION") and added all commands as values (a bit more work...). The utterance is simply:

Code: Select all

PerformAction {Action}
I also changed all english phrases (like "'Something went wrong,...") to german. @m19brandon Maybe you could separate the strings to make it easy to translate and update to newer versions?
Hey m8, im german too and ive got some problems here
cant fix it to german specifications..
do you mind a upload for me?
it'll help me a lot :o :/

nikeb

Post by nikeb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 am

Hi guys

Nice guide.
I m guessing it's a bit out-of-date cause the Alexa Developer Portal looks a bit different than your guidelines.
For example i don't know how to copy and paste your files and i don't know if i m doing that right.

slattynan

Post by slattynan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:45 am

Hi,

I set this up today, as you say its the setup process has changed significantly. As a result, the tutorial is misleading. It takes a bit of figuring out but still works.

If m19brandon likes I can type up an updated process. Failing that, if you let me know where you are stuck I should have the answer!

Great plugin BTW, I've been having a lot of fun with this beyond the usual HA activities :D

slattynan

Post by slattynan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm

The fun continues with this. I've ordered 2 dots while they are on the early black Friday deals, so I guess I'm all in with this plugin!

My python script now has 300 lines of code and continues to grow as I find more amusing ways to interact with my home. Giving my home a voice powered by my childish humour is not what I intended when I started playing with HA :lol: