password protect

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
fuqit

password protect

Post by fuqit » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey guys/gals
Long time user of EG but never had a reason to post a question till now. Can anyone offer a suggestion on a way to password protect a macro before it executes the action?
The kids are constantly cancelling recordings to record sponge bob or peppa pig. So I thought when the record button is pressed it could request a pin. Is this even possible?

thx!

Aquila
Experienced User

Re: password protect

Post by Aquila » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:15 pm

This depeends heavily on your setup. What program, what plugin and so on.

fuqit

Post by fuqit » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:30 pm

I guess that would help!
win 7/wmc alternate driver with wmc plugin.

Remote button for record activates wmc plugin "record"

hope that helps.
thx

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 am

fuqit wrote:Hey guys/gals
Long time user of EG but never had a reason to post a question till now. Can anyone offer a suggestion on a way to password protect a macro before it executes the action?
The kids are constantly cancelling recordings to record sponge bob or peppa pig. So I thought when the record button is pressed it could request a pin. Is this even possible?

thx!
Try the Multi-tap plugin to get the pin.

fuqit

Post by fuqit » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Sorry I was out of town on business. Could you explain a little about this plugin? I took a look at it but I don't see how that would do it, unless it's going right over my head.

thanks!

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:17 am

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.28 KiB) Viewed 4090 times

fuqit

Post by fuqit » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm COMPLETELY lost. The screen you posted, is that the whole thing? I read the link you posted about multitap but man I'm more confused than ever.
I'm not trying to be a PITA, I really do know what I'm doing with this stuff I just don't understand the documentation and I can't see how this works with the screen grab you posted.

Would you mind helping me further?
thx

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 pm

I am assuming your remote has numbers (0-9). These numbers will be used to enter the pin. If you don't have numbers on your remote, take a look at the SMS mode in Multitap.

1. Add Multitap plugin

2. Configure the plugin (see Figure 1)
Capture.PNG
Figure 1
3. Add a folder ("Pin Numbers") to hold the Multitap key macros

4. Add macros in this folder for each number (0-9) using Multitap Key macros (see Figure 2).
Capture2.PNG
Figure 2
Note in the original screen, I only added a macro for the number 1.

5. Create a macro ("Enable: Pin Numbers") to enable the "Pin Numbers" folder (created in step # 3).

6. The action to trigger the "Enable: Pin Numbers" macro will be your RECORD button.

7. Associate the number buttons from your remote to each Multitap Key macro (0-9).

8. Press the number buttons on your remote to create a PIN. I used the PIN 1111.
Capture3.PNG
Figure 3
Capture3.PNG (3.23 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
9. An action will be generated in your log for the PIN you entered. In the example, the action is "Multitap.RecordPinEnter.1111". Associate this action with your record macro.

10. Finally, add the "Disable: Pin Numbers" action to the record macro. This will not trigger the record macro if the PIN number is entered without the record button first.

Good luck,

kalia

fuqit

Post by fuqit » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I would have never figured that out without your help. Thanks! works like a charm.