Eventghost Online

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
User1306
Experienced User

Eventghost Online

Post by User1306 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 pm

I've been using eventghosts for years now and honestly there's no app better app.

i use eventghost for my home automation, one of the things that i built is a remote using the webserver to send event. sometimes if you want to click (up,down,left or right) many times in a raw, the webserver is not fast enough, is there a better way to send http commands?

another question and a bit more important, is that i have eventghost webserver Live/Online (meaning i can send commands/event when i'm not home through the internet). i read somewhere that this isnt safe since the security is not that great on the webserver plugin.

my question is, how can i have EG online but be in a safer situation?
for the past year i have been using Tasker on my Android to send events via HTTP GET, is there another method i should look into, that 1. will allow for a faster interaction and 2. safer than WebServer when it's Online?
(not necessary using tasker, but mainly a web browser)

thank you very much in adance

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Re: Eventghost Online

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Since you already use Tasker, check out Auto Remote in the Google Play store. It works with Tasker and EventGhost.

Pliind
Experienced User

Post by Pliind » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 pm

I prefer Terremote. You need to do 1 step more than AutoRemote but your commands will always go through. I've had loads of hassle with AutoRemote :(

Tasker sends "event" to Terremote, you create a macro in Terremote that intercepts "event" and triggers "TCP.event" in Eventghost.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:48 am

Do Terremote and Autoremote also work through internet, i.e. when you are away from your LAN?

If not, the pushbullet plugin (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5709&hilit=pushbullet#p28154) by Pako may be useful.
I am not sure about the security of this concept, though, as I think all traffic flows through a third party webservice.

User1306
Experienced User

Post by User1306 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:48 am

Thank you all for all the tips.
I am using Autoremote at the moment and from some time to time i dont receive the messages/event from EG. it works about 70% of the time.
the thing with all these apps is that i would need to also download them to my Girlfriends phone and set them up manually. so i would rather use something more straight forward like Http GET or Post. but from reading it seems that these two are not very secure specially when you open it to the internet and not just using it via LAN.

the one thing about Pushbullet or Autoremote is that they are a bit slow when it comes to using them as a mean to send remote control buttons (volume up or down). i built an app that controls everything in my house from lighting to audio and video to grocery lists, and this is synced with EG between my and GF phone. i'm trying to use this app as a one point for all my home automation, so some things need to controlled over the internet while other stuff can stay within LAN.

which is why i would prefer something like HTTP Get.
i hope this make sense :)

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Are you using the Autoremote plugin for Google Chrome on the PC where EG is installed? With this, I don't have problems with the messages getting from Autoremote to EG, or vice-versa.

abuttino
Experienced User

Post by abuttino » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Auto remote just got a huge upgrade that is in beta at the moment that speeds up sent/received commands by at least 50%, the reliability factor has also been drastically increased with this upgrade. Try it.

rmiles7721

Post by rmiles7721 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 pm

If you are using Chrome as fallback in addition to the EG AutoRemote plugin you can almost always get messages. Can't remember the last one I missed.

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:21 pm

User1306 wrote:I've been using eventghosts for years now and honestly there's no app better app.

i use eventghost for my home automation, one of the things that i built is a remote using the webserver to send event. sometimes if you want to click (up,down,left or right) many times in a raw, the webserver is not fast enough, is there a better way to send http commands?
I think it depends in how you design your web interface communication - are you using ajax or is your page reloading each time you send data?
User1306 wrote:another question and a bit more important, is that i have eventghost webserver Live/Online (meaning i can send commands/event when i'm not home through the internet). i read somewhere that this isnt safe since the security is not that great on the webserver plugin.
If you like to keep using the webserver I recommend to connect to your server by using VPN instead of opening port 80 on your firewall

derelict

Post by derelict » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 am

rmiles7721 wrote:If you are using Chrome as fallback in addition to the EG AutoRemote plugin you can almost always get messages. Can't remember the last one I missed.
What is the technical Background/Requirement that you have to use Chrome and it's Extension in order to be able to send messages to Eventghost from wherever you are (while on the mobile data network for instance) ??

For some reason the chrome extension can communicate with the "outside" world... whereas eventghost can't ? I would like to send messages from everywhere... but don't like to keep chrome open all the time.

Can't this functionality be built directly into the eventghost plugin ?

Thanks for some insights ;-)

leothlon
Experienced User

Post by leothlon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 am

Sem;colon wrote: If you like to keep using the webserver I recommend to connect to your server by using VPN instead of opening port 80 on your firewall
This ^

If you don't want to set up a VPN i'd recommend you make sure the webserver is not accessible from outside the LAN but instead use the pushbullet addon. i am not 100% sure of how safe pushbullet is but i am willing to bet its quite abit safer than the webserver.

Sure the pushbullet addon might not be insainly fast, but i cant see a need for insainly fast responsetimes when sending commands over internet? your only going to use it when your not at home right? and when your home you'll send commands over the lan?
If your want to keep using tasker you'd be able to have it check your network and if your connected to your home lan then send commands over tcp otherwise send them through pushbullet.
That way you'd activate the commands the same way if your home and tasker would take care of choosing what way to send the commands.

So if you're home -> send over tcp (fast responsetime) if away -> pushbullet (slower responsetime).

derelict

Post by derelict » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 pm

or use autoremote and the chome extension fallback. This works without having port 80 open from the outside.

Although i still don't understand the technical reason why it works with the chrome extension... but not with the EG plugin itself.

kilometersvi

Post by kilometersvi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:55 am

Just to lay this to rest:
If you would like EventGhost and/or Tasker to communicate with the outside world via internet, AutoRemote is the way to go. I have not used TerreRemote, admittingly, but I have used Pushbullet. What Pushbullet is great as is pushing notifications and files (to personal devices through the web). Autoremote, on the other hand, is a bit more technically inclined than Pushbullet, but has many more features that come with it being designed to let devices communicate to each other and connect to the web. In terms of ease of use, as mentioned before, AutoRemote does need some learning, but its much easier to operate and set up than the webserver plugin, and much more secure as well (unless you run it through a VPN). Due to AutoRemote's capability to communicate through either Web or LAN methods (and automatically deciding which), it is much more ideal than pushbullet for this task, and possibly in its file sharing avenues as well.

To put it simply:
Pushbullet Pros
-Great at passing notifications
-Great at passing files through the internet
-Free
-On most OS
-Can easily communicate with IFTTT, which allows you to communicate with 200+ platforms (highly recommended)
Pushbullet Cons
-Designed for notification pushing (Only a con for the means of using it with eg or tasker)
-Can only really communicate through the web, so it takes a while
-Some of the features that led me to using Pushbullet and AutoRemote simultaneously were moved over to a Pro version, leading me to only use Autoremote

AutoRemote Pros
-Great at passing notifications
-Great at passing files through LAN
-Auto-opens links sent to it on mobile
-Passwords can be set on received messages
-Can communicate with IFTTT through the Maker channel and a few other servers in particular (dropbox, zapier)
--In essence, the best bridge between IFTTT and Tasker
-The EG Plugin can read several other data in its event payload (dont know if Pushbullet EG plugin has a payload)
AutoRemote Cons
-Some set-up needed, including a slight learning curve
-Not free (price range 0.99-3.99, I don't recall)
-Not available on Apple mobile devices (though you can use IFTTT to communicate to AutoRemote plugin on EG through the Maker channel (a google search on how will be needed). May not be able to communicate back to IFTTT)

Webserver Pros
-As flexible as your ability to code html, or to copy and paste what you need if you're lucky
Webserver Cons
-Not very secure unless a VPN is used
-Cant be used to communicate back to Tasker to my knowledge, which to some people such as myself is very important
-You actually need to know how to code

To summarize:
-If you dont use Tasker or use an Apple mobile, use Pushbullet (even though I recommend you learn how to use tasker- with the AutoApps it can be more powerful than EventGhost in my opinion :P )
-If you do use Tasker, use AutoRemote
-If you are primarily an EventGhost user and know how to use html, set up a vpn, and don't need to communicate with your phone from EG, use the WebServer plugin or one of its variants.

Hope I could help any future readers.