Snapstream Firefly remote not working. (!!SOLUTION FOUND!!)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
stisev
Experienced User

Snapstream Firefly remote not working. (!!SOLUTION FOUND!!)

Post by stisev » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 am

Hi all,

I had my Firefly working perfectly with my server b0x, but then I decided to consolidate and combine everything into my laptop b0x.

Different computer, different EG/Firefly remote problem. :)

When booting, rundll runs to boot the X10 program, but it just stays there :(
Here's a picture of the process in question:

Some info:
1) I can't kill the process.
2) EG doesn't see snapstream remote (duh, x10nets isn't running since rundll hasn't booted the process)
3) Booting the process automatically doesn't work.

Any ideas?
Last edited by stisev on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Re: Snapstream Firefly remote not working.

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:07 pm

You can try to de-install all Firefly stuff and install the generic x10 driver:
http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/x10setupnovideo.exe
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

CollinR
Experienced User

Post by CollinR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:23 pm

The generic driver doesn't exactly match the X10 button labels but you can get it working.

This is really just you finding the root cause of your startup issues from a previous thread. I would uninstall all the snapstream stuff and attempt as best you can to start over. You setup never has been quite right.

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:10 am

CollinR wrote:The generic driver doesn't exactly match the X10 button labels but you can get it working.

This is really just you finding the root cause of your startup issues from a previous thread. I would uninstall all the snapstream stuff and attempt as best you can to start over. You setup never has been quite right.
Hi guys,

I rolled back my system (using Acronis TrueImage) and tried the generic drivers. They really, really don't well with my system. Most of the time, EG doesn't recognize them, even after switching the option to X10 in EG.
When I installed the Snapstream drivers, they work somehow (magically, I didn't do anything different), but my gut is telling me it's going to cut off sometime.

Is there a specific "way" I should be installing these drivers? i'm thinking:

1) Clean install
2) Unplug remote
3) Install Snapstream OR x10 generic drivers
4) Switch mode appropriately in EG and run EG
5) Should work, right?

X10 doesn't always work and if it does, it's VERY LAGGY (buttons take 1-2 seconds to process in EG :( )
Snapstream drivers work well WHEN IT WORKS, meaning it cut offs (EG doesn't recognize the remote on startup).

CollinR
Experienced User

Post by CollinR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:52 pm

I'll change it slightly.
stisev wrote: 1) Clean install
2) Unplug remote Should have never been plugged in, clean install.
3) Install Snapstream drivers.
4) Install EventGhost.
5) Install EG Firefly plugin.
6) Configure the plugin appropriately, start out by allowing all IDs.

Should work, right?
You can get the USB drivers all kinds of jacked up. It's really not that hard to do and can be a PITA to actually fix. This is especially true when you have to very very similar devices.

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi guys,

I wiped everything and installed the generic X10 driver. For some reason, the lag between button pushing and action happening is extremely long (1-2 seconds!)

I have a pretty fast laptop (2.0Ghz Pentium-M) so it shouldn't be this bad.

Here's my XML file: http://ep1nephrine911.info/sev.xml

do you guys have any idea what it could be?

Using XP SP2
EventGhost_0.3.6_build_1150

Thanks!
Sev

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Shameless bump.

It seems that if I use the generic drivers, it always works (so far), but does anyone know why EG lags between button pressing? I sometimes have to press the button twice to get it to recognize. Very annoying. :(

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:26 pm

If I start EG many many times, the X10 driver gets slow and laggy. But I need more than ten starts to see a difference. The X10 driver seems to have a bug to not release every connection completely. I simply restart the X10nets service if this happens.

But this seems not to be your problem. If you get such lags right after a fresh system start, it is something else. And since you have all kind of problems with the receiver on different machines, I'm getting more and more afraid your receiver is faulty.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:45 am

Bitmonster wrote:If I start EG many many times, the X10 driver gets slow and laggy. But I need more than ten starts to see a difference. The X10 driver seems to have a bug to not release every connection completely. I simply restart the X10nets service if this happens.

But this seems not to be your problem. If you get such lags right after a fresh system start, it is something else. And since you have all kind of problems with the receiver on different machines, I'm getting more and more afraid your receiver is faulty.
I suspect it's not the receiver itself. I'm pretty confident it's either a) driver b) EG leaning towards driver a lot more.

I just noticed a pattern to the "lag". It's not a lag whatsoever. I have to press each button TWICE in order to get it to do it. I could press [volume up], then [volume down] and it'll do 1 volume down. channel up, channel down and it'll do channel down. I have to press the button twice to get it to work. Very very bizarre.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:08 am

!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I FINALLY fixed the problem. It was indeed driver-related. It wasn't a "setup" problem though, as in much as a bug (?) in the drivers themselves.

This is what I did to finally fix it:

1) Install x10setupnovideo.exe
2) "Sandboxie" install Snapstream.exe drivers (to extract the drivers)
3) Take file "x10net.dll" from SNAPSTREAM's install and replace them to the current system's X10 install.

Restart EG.

Boom. BOTH of my problems fixed....

1) Because I installed the original X10novideo drivers, the "driver not found" doesn't occr
2) Because of the replaced x10net.dll, commands occur @ single click now.

Weird, but works. I can only deduce that the problem is driver-bug-related.

yay! It finally works! Any thoughts?

CollinR
Experienced User

Re: Snapstream Firefly remote not working. (!!SOLUTION FOUND!!)

Post by CollinR » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Sweet! I'm glad you finally got it, make sure you keep those files so you can restore if you ever need them.

Now go make EG do some cool stuff.

stisev
Experienced User

Post by stisev » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Yea, it's much better now, but I'm still trying to figure out if there's a workaround around this issue:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=522

Most of the time I have Zoomplayer and Winamp running together. I'm trying to find way to change the "timeout" paging time for Zoomplayer from 1 second to 0.2 or 0.3 seconds so it won't lag too much when both are running at the same time.

PS: files already backed up in 2 places ;)

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Hey guys, I see this is an old thread, just checking to see if you are still here and if you might still have the "basic" firelfy driver on hand which you might be able to share with me please?

This is the thread and issues I am trying to fix, the last post pretty much summarizes everything so no need to read the entire thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10124&p=51423#p51423

Please note I have the original packaging with original CD containing the snapstream software and drivers but I had installed only the basic firefly drivers without the beyond media software and the basic drivers is what I am seeking.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm not sure if those are the latest, but at least they are the latest i have lying around in my archive. :)
Attachments
firefly12.zip
(25.99 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
firefly_drvs.zip
(868.73 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

mikehende
Experienced User

Post by mikehende » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Oh there you are Topix! i was thinking you might no longer be visiting this board.

Nice to hear from you. So to update you, I had started having some issues with the original script you had written for me on these newer pc's and especially on win10 OS but luckily the script started working again on win7 all of a sudden.

Snapstream said the remote was not made for win10 so it doesn't work. Anyway, thanks a million for those basic drivers, hopefully they will be the "old" drivers I was seeking . I will burn them on CD and save on the cloud to be sure I have them if ever needed in the future.