X10 Wireless is bankrupt/closed. Please help?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
abuttino
Experienced User

X10 Wireless is bankrupt/closed. Please help?

Post by abuttino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm

After trying to install X10 Activehome today, the server wouldn't respond to download the software (I hate it when people do this crap). So, I go to x10 and call them up and get a recorded message "X10 has closed it's doors"

After a little reading, they lost a $4.3m lawsuit.

Anyway, I would like to go with z-wave and would like to stay with EventGhost. I need something that will toggle lights and dim them, nothing special.

Which way would you go?

blaher
Experienced User

Re: X10 Wireless is bankrupt/closed. Please help?

Post by blaher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 am

I use a Z-Wave Vera which can do both Z-Wave and X10, (with a PC controller). Z-Wave is FAR more reliable, so go that way if you can. The Eventghost plugin below works well for me:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=7881.0
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=3169

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I use the Insteon Smartlinc plugin (with an Insteon Smartlinc, of course). I like Insteon products, and I like the company. They stand behind their products, even after the warrantee expires.

Back when I first started looking for home automation stuff, I looked at X10, but I just couldn't get past their awful looking website.

abuttino
Experienced User

Post by abuttino » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

I've been on the fence about this.. The SmartLinc support for the plugin seems to be dead. Does it work ok?

I've noticed that when I had it installed to look at it, Eventghost would NOT Exit..

I also downloaded HomeSeer's software but that has entirely borked my X10 plugin. Really not happy about that. If I uninstall HomeSeer, I can't control my lights anymore. I am guessing it takes some files out of the SDK or something. Least to say, I was very upset when I learned that a piece of software I downloaded for eval messed up my production computer.. Guess that's what Virtual computing and "Labs" are for :(

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:13 am

Which way would you go?
For wireless non-critical light etc controls (on/off/dim) and measurements, I am using a RFXtrx and supported devices (in my case Nexa but this is region specific of course, should also work with your x10 devices)

For wireless critical controls (on/off/dim) with feedback of status, I use z-wave devices and a Rasberry Pi with a z-wave RaZberry module inside

For wired controls and measurements with feedback of status, I use a OneWire network, connected to the same RaspBerry Pi

Best, Walter

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

The SmartLinc plugin works fine for me. It does have a sleep/wake issue, but it was easily solved by creating a macro that is triggered when the PC resumes from standby. The macro disables the plugin, waits a couple of seconds, and then enables the plugin.

If you never put your PC to sleep, you won't have this problem.

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:56 pm

abuttino wrote: Guess that's what Virtual computing and "Labs" are for :(
That's what backups are for.

abuttino
Experienced User

Post by abuttino » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 pm

I have backups. But, have changed so many things on the computer it would be very hard to go back..

The worst part is that ActiveHome cannot be re-installed. It'll fail because it tries to contact servers for registration data or to install the critical components.

Oh well, time to upgrade to another light system anyway..

davidmark
Experienced User

Post by davidmark » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Have to differentiate between X10 the protocols and X10 the company. The protocols predate the company by about 20 years and many companies produced hardware based on them. The "X10 Wireless" company is bankrupt. The protocol lives forever in millions of pieces of plastic that have been in circulation since at least the 80's. As long as there are power lines and radio signals, X10 (the protocol) will be a viable option (granted, it is an option with a slight learning curve to avoid its inherent weaknesses).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28ind ... tandard%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_Wireless_Technology

X10 Wireless added cameras and universal IR remotes to the mix and also produced the usual appliance and lamp wall warts, outlets, RF remotes, wall switches, motion sensors, programmable controllers, etc. They weren't exactly known for quality manufacturing; better known for pandering to the masses with "sexy" pop under ads. Regardless, I've got 10-15 year old X10 (the company) hardware that still works perfectly (while virtually all of my old KeypadLinc wall switches from Smarthome are dead as door nails). Also have old Radio Shack and Honeywell devices from the 80's and 90's that still perform like the day I bought them. :)

Most of the software produced over the years for X10 has been appalling. ActiveHome Pro is dead as it was produced by X10 the company. That one at least showed some understanding of the protocols. Houselinc is a joke as it can't even figure out that A1 A2 A3 AON means all three devices are now on (and it can't send that sequence either). Same for A1 AOFF AON (Houselinc ignores the last command, so would think A1 is OFF). So everything creeps out of sync over time. I suppose that's why they demurred on providing icons to indicate states (something AHP had). Then there are open source projects like Misterhouse. Same story, except you can actually see the mistakes in the code (and fix them yourself if inclined). Insteon apps provided support for only a subset of X10 (basically the same as the "dumb" RF remotes, which are markedly inferior to the IR remotes, table top controllers, etc.) They can't even send the sequences required to program Smarthome X10 devices from 5-7 years ago.

http://www.insteon.com/insteon-x10-programming.html

Good news is that the AHP SDK is still alive and well (though you might have to dig to find it on the Web at this point). If you can find (or write) software that interprets the signals properly (unlike Houselinc) and overcome the various powerline issues (e.g. bridge in the breaker box, filters for PC's, stereos, etc.), there are literally millions of gadgets out there that can be found pretty cheap on eBay (as many people are dumping them for supposedly superior alternatives). Note that the AHP "SDK" is extremely simple, but provides everything you need to both monitor and control all manner of X10 devices. In contrast, the Insteon API's are ridiculously complicated and the legacy X10 support appears to be purposely crippled (as in their apps).

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 am

Interesting. I still have the first Insteon devices which I bought in 2007, and they still work fine. I have been through several 2412N controllers though.