Logitech Harmony Smart Control ... interesting possibilities

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Livin
Experienced User

Re: Logitech Harmony Smart Control ... interesting possibili

Post by Livin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:57 pm

I've been trying to get thing to work... and it does for a bit but usually a day or so later the bluetooth will stop communicating with my laptop and I must re-pair. BTW, the laptop does show the pair, and shows connected but it seems the Logitech is not sending or something. Anyone else have this issue? I have searched and it seems some do.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

techoguy
Experienced User

Post by techoguy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Hey all,
This plugin has been tougher than I expected and I don't have the extra time i had earlier in the year (left my job to start my own business).

I still do want this plugin but right now it's on hold. The primary reason is that i'm hearing that Harmony is coming out with an official API to support third party development as part of their home automation upgrades. So i'm not sure I want to continue with an unsupported method. I'll keep my eye on it though to see what happens. Hopefully something becomes official soon.
The Latest SONOS Plugin:
Latest version can be found here: http://eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 05f#p30309

EventGhost Lets me automate my home the way I want it, I love using it!

flop

Post by flop » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:16 am

Hi, good news, Logitech have released official Hamony API
http://myharmony.com/discover/harmony-api/

Talguy

Post by Talguy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I would definitely love to see a plugin created for this.

MaxMan23

Post by MaxMan23 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:23 pm

What do you think, will it be possible that i can send a WOL over wlan with it to wake up a pc?
And if someone is creating a plugin, will the communication be over wlan?
I am searching a rf alternative to my x10

coricidin

Post by coricidin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm

I would love to have this plugin, would be happy to donate. Right now I trigger harmony scenes indirectly through the vera plugin, but it's not 100% reliable and I'd rather send commands directly from EG to the harmony.

luma

Post by luma » Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm

A native Harmony plugin would be great. Until that happens I've been using HarmonyHubControl to issue commands from EG to my Harmony Hub. This application allows you to start activities and call device commands from the command line making it easy to run from EG via System:Windows Command.

The HarmonyHubControl on SourceForge does not include a Windows binary. If you are unable to compile it yourself, I've compiled it and dropped it on my hosting here. The usual disclaimers and warnings apply, see below for checksums.

Code: Select all

fciv -both HarmonyHubControl.exe
//
// File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
                MD5                             SHA-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
10fb63dee9ea400d21d5cf09496578bd 80837b4659453ab629ae04221e8625549e033208 harmonyhubcontrol.exe

techoguy
Experienced User

Post by techoguy » Sun May 24, 2015 9:19 pm

A native Harmony plugin would be great. Until that happens I've been using HarmonyHubControl to issue commands from EG to my Harmony Hub. This application allows you to start activities and call device commands from the command line making it easy to run from EG via System:Windows Command.

The HarmonyHubControl on SourceForge does not include a Windows binary. If you are unable to compile it yourself, I've compiled it and dropped it on my hosting here. The usual disclaimers and warnings apply, see below for checksums.
Awesome! This is awesome! Looks to work pretty well.
I see the original code is actually python so I would think that it should be able to be put into a plugin for EG without needing the HarmonyHubcontrol.exe file.

I have requested API access but I think right now Harmony is only working with big companies like SmartThings (Samsung). The other method to start an activity is through IFTTT. The newer Harmony Home Hub can have activities started from IFTTT and so you could have EG trigger the recipe that then triggers a specific activity. It is limited but could work. The other requirement is that you have the newer Home Hub instead of the ultimate hub. The ultimate hub should eventually work with IFTTT but as of right now it does not. Of course the IFTTT method does require an internet connection.
The Latest SONOS Plugin:
Latest version can be found here: http://eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 05f#p30309

luma

Post by luma » Sun May 24, 2015 11:54 pm

techoguy wrote:The other requirement is that you have the newer Home Hub instead of the ultimate hub. The ultimate hub should eventually work with IFTTT but as of right now it does not. Of course the IFTTT method does require an internet connection.
You can sign up for the May beta for Harmony here and get Home Control added to your existing not-home Hub-based remotes.

techoguy
Experienced User

Post by techoguy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 am

Nice, i'll look into that. My hub actually has the Home GUI and look and feel now but it still doesn't have WAN access like the Home Hub does. To be honest, if I get it all working through EG I much rather have that though because all the cloud based solutions seem to have random delays.
The Latest SONOS Plugin:

krad23

Post by krad23 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:52 am

Any updates on this?

Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Post by Flyingsubs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Figured I would bump this post again now that the Echo is having support for the harmony and Google Home is just starting out. Currently I am using IFTTT to turn my tv on and off but i would like to command certain buttons. I am not sure if its worth waiting until logitech does it, but i prefer eventghost because i have set up a lot of logic and like having one system control all the automation.

Any new updates with this potential plugin?

Thanks,
Flyingsubs

Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Post by Flyingsubs » Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 am

Flyingsubs wrote:Figured I would bump this post again now that the Echo is having support for the harmony and Google Home is just starting out. Currently I am using IFTTT to turn my tv on and off but i would like to command certain buttons. I am not sure if its worth waiting until logitech does it, but i prefer eventghost because i have set up a lot of logic and like having one system control all the automation.

Thanks,
Flyingsubs

Any one play around with this and eventghost. Sorry to bump again

Any chance EG can integrate with this?

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyharmony

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 am

Ok. The library you linked to requires another library called sleekxmpp this is the authentication protocol handler. And that library requires pyasn1 which is on the excluded list of the build process for EG. Now. I do not know if that is there and is old and has never been tested since. This I can do. I can build a version of EG without this excluded and see if it works properly. From there is should be very minimal work to go through the 2 libraries and strip any logging and command line junk out if that is needed. But that library looks promising but I think it's going to be a tricky bugger. For several reasons. One is the token received after the auth process expires and they do not know how to tell if it is expired. And I think a login process has to take place. But it seems to be an issue and probably requires user intervention. The other is if you send a volume down commad you then have to send a volume down released command otherwise the volume just keeps going. This is for all commands I am assuming. So you would have to use some kind of event in EG that is an enduring event. This way you have a mechanism to send the released command.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

007craft

Re: Logitech Harmony Smart Control ... interesting possibilities

Post by 007craft » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Did anybody ever get around to making this plugin yet?

I use IFTTT with the harmony hub and its my last thing I need to eliminate IFTTT and have complete remote automation on my home server. Right now if I want to turn off the TV for example, I have eventghost run a batch script that sends a curl command over to IFTTT, telling the harmony hub to do it.

This sucks because IFTTT cannot control devices, only activities. So If I move to my bedroom, lowering the projector is a new activity I can start, but theres no way to turn off the other "living room activity". I can only end all activities, which would shutoff my projector too. with an EG plugin I would be able to send the individual device commands for any actions I want, making it way more user friendly. Currently the only way to do direct device commands is with the harmony app on my phone. I could set up a complicated tasker scenario to integrate with my home automation but thats too much. EG compatibility would be so great.