How do I?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
molitar
Experienced User

How do I?

Post by molitar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:49 am

Ok I am completely lost. I just found this software and figured it was more up to date than UIce so installed it. I am using an X10 UR81A Entertainment RF Remote with the MR26A RF Receiver (Serial port). But I can not even after adding the plugin for Serial Port been able to get it to read anything from my remote. How do I make this work? Also where is instructions for commands like Switch to Mode: because I can't find any macro that even resembles this. The starter instructions in the help manual are pretty poor so I really need help here. I wanted to try this software since their is an FFDshow plugin that I maybe able to use the toggle OSD function that does not work at all with UIce.

jonib
Plugin Developer

Re: How do I?

Post by jonib » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:53 am

molitar wrote:I just found this software and figured it was more up to date than UIce so installed it.
I gave upp on uICE some time ago, as it's not been updated in forever, and I think EventGhost is many times more functional when you get how to do stuff :D
Also where is instructions for commands like Switch to Mode: because I can't find any macro that even resembles this.
Are you asking how to change which program to control? the included default settings had some examples and check this thread.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:34 pm

No I am asking how to make it work. My remote does nothing. I can't even figure out how you train your remote.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 pm

molitar wrote:No I am asking how to make it work. My remote does nothing. I can't even figure out how you train your remote.
Are you using the right com port? Is software running on your pc for the remote that is taking control of the com port you serial port is on?

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Ok it's an X10 Serial device.. so yes I have the X10 drivers installed and the service enabled. I even tried WinLirc to see if it is picking up signals.. and yes it was able to learn commands. But I see no method to see if EventGhost is detecting anything. I don't see anything detected when I press a button on remote and even with WinLirc and trying that as a plugin did not detect any remote buttons.

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 pm

molitar wrote:I don't see anything detected when I press a button on remote and even with WinLirc and trying that as a plugin did not detect any remote buttons.
Is there a check mark beside "Log only assigned and activated events" on the buttom of EventGhost's window? if there is uncheck it, now you should get remote events in the log window.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 am

jonib wrote:
molitar wrote:I don't see anything detected when I press a button on remote and even with WinLirc and trying that as a plugin did not detect any remote buttons.
Is there a check mark beside "Log only assigned and activated events" on the buttom of EventGhost's window? if there is uncheck it, now you should get remote events in the log window.

jonib
No I have unchecked that box.

Fiasco
Plugin Developer

Post by Fiasco » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:50 pm

molitar wrote:Ok it's an X10 Serial device.. so yes I have the X10 drivers installed and the service enabled. I even tried WinLirc to see if it is picking up signals.. and yes it was able to learn commands. But I see no method to see if EventGhost is detecting anything. I don't see anything detected when I press a button on remote and even with WinLirc and trying that as a plugin did not detect any remote buttons.
I'm not sure how that plugin works but if it listens on a seriel port for remote commands eventghost isn't going to see it if another service or program is opening that serial port first

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 am

The X10 service is the driver for the serial RF device. If it not running than no remote will work because the serial RF receiver does not show up in device manager as a standard hardware device.

I was able to get it working using the plugin UIRT2 but getting some errors reported.

Exception in thread Thread-4:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyc", line 525, in __bootstrap_inner
File "threading.pyc", line 477, in run
File "C:\Program Files\EventGhost\eg\Classes\SerialThread.py", line 376, in ReceiveThreadProc
SerialError: (6, u'The handle is invalid.')

Error starting plugin: UIRT2
The handle is invalid.

Also how do I configure my remote for the application? For example I want my FF button to do a 20 second jump in Media Player Classic.

molitar
Experienced User

Post by molitar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:24 am

Ok I found out something really interesting.. I don't need the serial port plugin.. But something strange with UIRT2 plugin. If I don't have it added in the remote will not work. But if I add it in and set it to disabled than it works perfectly fine. The plugin can be disabled and it still works? How can that be?

Now some new questions..

1. How can I adjust the mouse speed on the mouse emulation?
2. Why do some buttons not work on my remote with EventGhost? Like I have buttons A-D but button D is not recognised. Is this because the x10 generic remote plugin does not have button D? And if so how can I train button D? Same with my Pause button I have both Play and Pause but Pause is not recognized. Their is a couple of other buttons I also would like to implement if I knew how.. how can I implement them? Now that I figured out that I need the UIRT2 plugin added it is working great finally.. But why does it only work if I use the UIRT2 plugin even if I have the plugin disabled? Is their some initialization script in that UIRT2 that I need? Well at least with it disabled their is no more errors in the log file at startup.

Secondly what does this message mean in the log? WTSRegisterSessionNotification timeout