New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jitterjames
Experienced User

Re: New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

Post by jitterjames » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 pm

woo hoo. Looks like you've been working hard. Will let you know how it goes.

J

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Success! It didn't seem to work on my old hitachi very well, but it works great with my LCD TV and remote which is what I really need it for anyway. I am able to learn and use codes for the big TV now quite reliably.

One thing I have noticed, that should be easy to check. Whenever I have the new plugin installed, EG takes a long time to close. For a while I thought it was just because I have a huge list of macros but as soon as I remove the MCE/vista plugin, EG will close nice and fast.

Can anyone else verify that this is happening for them?

It's not a big deal, but when I am developing and testing my own plugins I often have to close and restart EG to see changes that I have saved. If I accidentally start EG before it has finished closing then I have to go into task/manager to manually end all the EG processes.

but over all, it's working great! I had given up hope for this a long time ago... time to say good-bye to my crappy TV remote.

Thanks Brett! :D

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 pm

No problem, glad its working. It's nice to hear success stories!

Brett

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 am

@Brett

Looking very good thanks.
Only thing that has arisen in my testing is the prefix is coming through as "MceRemote.Mce."

Cheers,
David Y

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 am

Cheers Brett,

looking good I noticed the prefix of the old Transmit macros could not be changed using in the xml, i had to change it manually (copying the pronto commands by hand) to a new added transmit command, other than that the transmit works on both blasters (!!!).

the noise level on the log is still high in compere to the original MCE plug-in, also pressing a button on the remote still generates noise and miss interpret the commands causing a high level of noise to success ration.

it's all good and manageable, hopefully you'll get around this in your next update.

I want to thank you for the great job you have done for the benefit of us all.

daniel

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:57 pm

DavidY wrote:Only thing that has arisen in my testing is the prefix is coming through as "MceRemote.Mce."
Isn't this expected behavior? Something like MceRemote.Mce.Play is broken up into three parts:
1) MceRemote - the plugin which generated the event
2) Mce - the decoder that matched the ir sequence (others are RC6, Nec, SIRC, etc)
3) Play - the event that matches the decodes bitsequence
predatorftp wrote: the noise level on the log is still high in compere to the original MCE plug-in, also pressing a button on the remote still generates noise and miss interpret the commands causing a high level of noise to success ration.

it's all good and manageable, hopefully you'll get around this in your next update.
Ok, the only thing I can think of is to have an option to ignore "non-MCE" codes. Doesn't seem like a great option, as then you couldn't have EG respond to other codes, but it would get rid of the noise. You want that?

Since you are using the same hardware with the new plugin that you used with the old plugin, I would expect the misses to be about the same. The difference is that now the plugin shows the hits and the misses, while the old plugin only showed the hits.

The fundamental problem is that, for whatever reason, your environment is generating a LOT more noise than I get. Once the IR Receiver gets all that noise, it is difficult to clean it up. It's like (maybe the opposite?) taking pictures in low light - you end up with blurry images. Rather than trying to fix a blurry image in software, you are better off turning on more lights or using a flash to get better pictures in the first place.
predatorftp wrote:I want to thank you for the great job you have done for the benefit of us all.
Thanks!

Brett

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't seem to be able to receive an event from my mce remote and have it do a blast. If I trigger the blast with my ps3 remote, or simply by clicking the green "execute item" button in eventghost, then the blast works fine. If I try to trigger the blast with an event from my mce remote it doesn't work (usually) and even seems to get hung up and stop responding for a while.

also, possibly related, when I blast I get unknown mce events in the log. this happens even if I unplug my blaster cable and cover the mce ir receiver with my hand. weird.

is it just my unit that is doing this?

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:13 pm

@Brett
RE: MceRemote.Mce.Num5

What you describe is logical, but it is different to what the WinXP version of the Plug-in produces, ie MceRemote.Num5

Cheers,
David

defrag

Post by defrag » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Just stumbled onto this plugin and works perfectly for me on Win7 X64 - great idea and great coding stottle!!!

I happen to a run a Microsoft MCE Keyboard through the MS USBIRT as well as the remote and although the keyboard does not seem affected by the plugin (thankfully!!!) it does have a mouse and all mouse movement and clicks are captured and displayed with the unknown tag. This means that unless I filter out events not assigned from the log, a single sweep of the mouse will produce about 100 events in the log!! Not so useful if you are capturing events! Also would this amount of capture cause some unwanted performance hits?

Would it be possible for the service or plugin to filter out the unknown signals completely as an option? Reading back through the posts though, would this cause a problem for weak signal broadcasts or when the remote multi sends? Hmmm

I guess the main thing is that it does all work, which is the important thing, and a most needed addition for MCE devices. So thanks again!!!

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:21 pm

perhaps it could be possible to filter out a range of values, or something defined by wildcards. I don't know if this would result in more or less of a performance hit. I guess Brett would know about that.

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40 pm

jitterjames wrote:I don't seem to be able to receive an event from my mce remote and have it do a blast. If I trigger the blast with my ps3 remote, or simply by clicking the green "execute item" button in eventghost, then the blast works fine. If I try to trigger the blast with an event from my mce remote it doesn't work (usually) and even seems to get hung up and stop responding for a while.
I'd appreciate if others could report whether this happens to them or not. I will also take a look on my end.
DavidY wrote:RE: MceRemote.Mce.Num5

What you describe is logical, but it is different to what the WinXP version of the Plug-in produces, ie MceRemote.Num5
The other plugin has the dll do the decoding of the messages, not EG's IrDecoder function. That means that the original plugin can only handle specific codes, not everything EG can handle. My process hands the IR on/off times to the IrDecoder for processing. This means that more codes are recognized and EG can trigger actions even from unknown commands. That's the upside. The downside is you get the event naming convention that the IrDecoder uses. Sorry.
defrag wrote:I happen to a run a Microsoft MCE Keyboard through the MS USBIRT as well as the remote and although the keyboard does not seem affected by the plugin (thankfully!!!) it does have a mouse and all mouse movement and clicks are captured and displayed with the unknown tag. This means that unless I filter out events not assigned from the log, a single sweep of the mouse will produce about 100 events in the log!! Not so useful if you are capturing events! Also would this amount of capture cause some unwanted performance hits?

Would it be possible for the service or plugin to filter out the unknown signals completely as an option? Reading back through the posts though, would this cause a problem for weak signal broadcasts or when the remote multi sends? Hmmm

I guess the main thing is that it does all work, which is the important thing, and a most needed addition for MCE devices. So thanks again!!!
Would you be willing to "learn" the mouse ir code, and post it? That is, you'd have to use the transmitIR action and hit the learn button, then hold your keyboard's ir within a few inches of the receiver. I know it sounds like a hassle. But with the pronto code, I can see if I can block the sequence for you.

Brett

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 am

@Brett
RE MceREmote.Mce. vs MceRemote.

I'm very happy with MceREmote.Mce.
I just thought I'd better get the feedback in.

Cheers,
DavidY

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:37 am

Migrating to MceRemote for Vista/Win7.

It will mean that those migrating from the "Microsoft MCE Remote" plug-in will need to exit EG, and directly edit EventGhost.XML to globally change "MceRemote." to "MceRemote.Mce."

@Brett

Thanks again.

Cheers,
DavidY

defrag

Post by defrag » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:44 am

stottle wrote: Would you be willing to "learn" the mouse ir code, and post it? That is, you'd have to use the transmitIR action and hit the learn button, then hold your keyboard's ir within a few inches of the receiver. I know it sounds like a hassle. But with the pronto code, I can see if I can block the sequence for you.
Brett
I will have a go over the weekend and obviously post here if I have any probs (and post here with the results too :D ) Thanks Brett

Ronny

Post by Ronny » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:28 am

Brett thanks!

I was waiting a long time for this!

This morning I've tried the new plugin.

But unfortunately it isn't working.

When I load the plugin and then add the action Transmit IR and then click the button Learn an IR code, I do what is mentioned in the message window.
Then I get a pronto code, for example:

Code: Select all

0000 0073 0000 0018 0148 00A2 0016 0012 0017 0012 0016 0012 0017 0012 0016 0014 0016 0012 0016 0014 0016 0012 0016 003B 0017 003B 0016 003B 0016 0017 003B 0016 0014 0016 003B 0016 0012 0017 003B 0016 003B 0016 003B 0016 003D 0014 05CD 0148 0051 0016 0E4E 2710
Everytime I do this for the same button, the code isn't the same.
If I click the button test, my tv isn't respondig at all. I've done this for 2 remote controls. Both aren't working.

When I now press a button at my MCE remote, it isn't recognized as for example:

MceRemote.Green
but as (multiple presses):

MceRemote.Unknown.5593BFB96E0
MceRemote.Unknown.AB27FFF2DC0987AF570
MceRemote.SIRC15.0000
MceRemote.Unknown.AB26FFF2DC0987AFD70
MceRemote.Unknown.AB267FF2DC0987EBD60
MceRemote.Unknown.AB27FFF29C0987AF970
MceRemote.Unknown.AB27FFF2DC0987EBD70