New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
DavidY

Re: New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

Post by DavidY » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:30 pm

@stottle
Thanks - looking forward to the new version very much.
Just confirming that my earlier confusion when testing the plugin was a result of the service not fully un-installing on my Vista Ultimate.

Cheers
DavidY

mazmaz

Post by mazmaz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 am

stottle wrote:The learn capability is supposed to output the detected frequency, but all I get from my device is zero. I'm not sure if I just have a device that doesn't support that, or what. Still looking in to that.
My MCE remote does not support learning. It looks like this:

As far as I know other MCE remotes do support learning.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:45 pm

stottle wrote:Ok, I'm still plugging away at this. I've found some more info, and I'm trying to get everything into the service/plugin.

Second, there are two receivers in devices with blaster capability. One is the normal one, but there is also a "learn" port, which is able to "see" a larger frequency range (I think 30-60 kHz) but work at about 2-3 inches. I've tested this a bit, and combined with some adjustments to the plugin, I've been getting better results with the transmit last code function. But now I have to iron out switching into and out of this mode.

Brett
sounds promising! If you have a version that's locked into learn mode I would like to test it. Until I can get the full blaster control to work I'm not really using the MCE anyway, so I don't mind swapping versions in and out to do learning.

I did see mention somewhere that you had to hold the remote within a couple inches for "learn mode" and I was wondering why that would be. It makes more sense now.

I am excited to try it!

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 pm

mazmaz wrote:
stottle wrote:The learn capability is supposed to output the detected frequency, but all I get from my device is zero. I'm not sure if I just have a device that doesn't support that, or what. Still looking in to that.
My MCE remote does not support learning. It looks like this:

As far as I know other MCE remotes do support learning.
I think it is more about the receiver than the remote itself. If you have extra ports on the back of the receive (look like headphone jacks) then it can learn to some extent simply because it has to be able to read signals to work, and therefore those signals can be read, and then stored. (i.e. learned)

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:18 pm

jitterjames wrote:
mazmaz wrote:My MCE remote does not support learning.
I think it is more about the receiver than the remote itself. If you have extra ports on the back of the receive (look like headphone jacks) then it can learn to some extent simply because it has to be able to read signals to work, and therefore those signals can be read, and then stored. (i.e. learned)
Exactly. The USB receiver has a mode intended for learning, which allows software to learn the received signals so they can be blasted to other components. The remote has nothing to do with it. Sorry I wasn't clear before.

Brett

mazmaz

Post by mazmaz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:29 pm

jitterjames wrote:I think it is more about the receiver than the remote itself.
Actually everyone's right. :D

My MCE remote doesn't support the learning of TV commands (notably the volume) whereas most other MCE remotes do. I assumed (wrongly) that this was the learning function in question as it was something that I had tried to do last year and, having failed, I found out why.

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 pm

sorry for the stupid question, someone answered this question already but i don't seem find the answer again.

how do i enable the EG XBMC commands in XBMC ?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:26 pm

predatorftp wrote:sorry for the stupid question, someone answered this question already but i don't seem find the answer again.

how do i enable the EG XBMC commands in XBMC ?
This isn't related to the MCE remote. Please repost in a new thread, or in an XBMC thread.

Thanks,
Brett

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 pm

@Brett

The fact the HID is disabled - can it affect my wireless keyboard ?

since i started playing with EG and the MCE plugin (that disables the HIS) i noticed lags and wired behavior form my keyboard. could it be attributed to the HID ?

I'm coming back on the IR noise subject, the receiver picks up tones of noise and it affects the performance of the system, it is busy with interminable signal reception. when pressing a button, EG translates the picket up signal wrongly witch shows as an error in the log. 1 of 5 attempts will end up being interpreted as error.

Code: Select all

MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.18
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
System.UnIdle
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
thanks

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

It's possible, but it's hard to say without more info.

What kind of keyboard is it (in particular, is it an Mce keyboard, but it might help to know brand/model). Is it IR or bluetooth?

Brett

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm

stottle wrote:It's possible, but it's hard to say without more info.

What kind of keyboard is it (in particular, is it an Mce keyboard, but it might help to know brand/model). Is it IR or bluetooth?

Brett
Microsoft wireless keyboard 6000 v3 model 1374 it's not BT

what about the noise ?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Ok, it looks like that keyboard has an antenna attached to USB, and nothing to do with IR, so its signal should be unaffected by the plugin. Also, HID isn't disabled entirely, it is only disabled for devices that show up with a GUID of 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da or 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57db, which should only be MCE remotes. As for the noise, sorry, but I can't tell you what in your environment is causing it. EG handling of unknown signals is not particularly fast, so getting a bunch of noise could just be keeping the system busy. I'll put in some handlers to keep EG from processing obvious noise in the next version, which should help.

Brett

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:43 am

stottle wrote:Ok, it looks like that keyboard has an antenna attached to USB, and nothing to do with IR, so its signal should be unaffected by the plugin. Also, HID isn't disabled entirely, it is only disabled for devices that show up with a GUID of 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da or 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57db, which should only be MCE remotes. As for the noise, sorry, but I can't tell you what in your environment is causing it. EG handling of unknown signals is not particularly fast, so getting a bunch of noise could just be keeping the system busy. I'll put in some handlers to keep EG from processing obvious noise in the next version, which should help.

Brett
thanks Brett, when is the next version due ? (still can't control the second port on my blaster ;) )

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:12 pm

I've got the services changes made and working well, but I still need to make several changes to the plugin and test to make sure I didn't unadvertently break something. I was hoping to have it out this morning, which I obviously didn't make. Probably I can have something out in the next couple of days.

Brett

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:18 pm

New version is available from the 1st post.

This includes several fixes/improvements:
  • * This should allow blasting from all available blaster ports.
    * Should handle having Mce Receiver unplugged.
    * Significant improvements to learn capability.
    * Should reduce the amount of noise that shows up as MceVista.Unknown
    * Events are logged with MceRemote prefix.
It still needs some cleanup type work, but I believe all of the functionality is there.

Enjoy,
Brett