New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jitterjames
Experienced User

Re: New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

Post by jitterjames » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 am

I misunderstood, I thought that's what your plugin was doing when I passed "last code" to the pronto function.

I don't suppose there is existing software for the MCE that learns pronto codes? I would need some other hardware?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 am

jitterjames wrote:I misunderstood, I thought that's what your plugin was doing when I passed "last code" to the pronto function.
Sorry, I need to explain further. The last code implementation is very simple. The plugin finds what it thinks is a code and passes it to the IrDecoder function. When it does that, it also stores the value. When you tell it to transmit the last code, it just takes the last value and sends it back. The problem is that the codes aren't simple enough to work like this, or everyone would be happy already. For one thing, there are codes that have an initial sequence and then a repeat sequence. If these are broken into multiple chunks that are sent to the IrDecoder, only the repeat sequence will be transmitted, which won't work right. There are also toggle bits, which can't be determined from a single sequence. What other systems do (harmony, USB-UIRT) is have a learn function that learns when the button is held. The whole set is then processed to learn to code, where the plugin would currently only look at the last piece collected. So what is needed (likely) is a dedicated learn function.
jitterjames wrote:I don't suppose there is existing software for the MCE that learns pronto codes?
If you find some, let me know! Girder probably does, but I don't think they are handing out source code.
jitterjames wrote:I would need some other hardware?
The problem is software not hardware. But if you're in a hurry, you could buy a different receiver that already has a learn function developed.

Brett

rexian

Post by rexian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 am

Does the service or the plugin disable default HID capability? Any way to bring them back and use them along with this plugin?

After a few restarts now I can see the commands in EG log but the application on focus doesn't receive them, nor can I put the computer to sleep using remote. All the commands that are configured within EG works, but not others like 7MC, Explorer etc.

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 am

If you uninstall and reboot it will put the HID codes back.

Brett

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 am

rexian wrote:Does the service or the plugin disable default HID capability? Any way to bring them back and use them along with this plugin?

After a few restarts now I can see the commands in EG log but the application on focus doesn't receive them, nor can I put the computer to sleep using remote. All the commands that are configured within EG works, but not others like 7MC, Explorer etc.
you can easily map any key to a sleep action in EG.
I don't know what 7MC is but it is also easy to open explorer or any other program from EG using whatever button you want.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 am

@stottle

All OK - thanks very much.
Problem was a partially uninstalled service - the older version.

Just a thought - any chance of the new plugin using "MceRemote." as its event prefix ?

Cheers,
DavidY

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 am

DavidY wrote:Just a thought - any chance of the new plugin using "MceRemote." as its event prefix ?
Glad its now working!

Unless anyone objects, I will switch to MceRemote. My original thought was to have some that doesn't conflict with the original plugin, but that may be a moot point by now.

Brett

rexian

Post by rexian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am

stottle wrote:If you uninstall and reboot it will put the HID codes back.

Brett
Yeah, I noticed it but then I lose the plugin and with that the capability of using EG as a normal user :lol: I was wondering if it's not possible to provide a checkbox for HID capabilities like the original MCE Remote plugin. I ask because it's working that way right now :) Here is how -

1. I uninstalled the service and then removed plugin from EG and rebooted PC. HID works now.
2. Copied the plugin and restarted EG and installed the service. Didn't reboot. HID still works.
3. Now EG receives all the commands and the actions I configured (like starting Boxee using MCE.Blue button) work
4. And I can still start 7MC with the GreenButton, operate it with the arrow keys as well as put the computer to sleep.

But if I restart it again, HID will be gone and I'll have to perform the above steps again :cry:

BTW, great plugin and concept!
jitterjames wrote: you can easily map any key to a sleep action in EG.
I don't know what 7MC is but it is also easy to open explorer or any other program from EG using whatever button you want.
7MC = Win 7 Media Center. Yes I can but I have to program for everything. HID was an easy solution for most apps.
Last edited by rexian on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 am

Unless anyone objects, I will switch to MceRemote
no objection, unless you want to go shorter. Like just "MCE".

Ideally shouldn't you be able to set a default but have this configurable in the plugin settings page?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm

stottle wrote:
DavidY wrote:Just a thought - any chance of the new plugin using "MceRemote." as its event prefix ?
Glad its now working!

Unless anyone objects, I will switch to MceRemote. My original thought was to have some that doesn't conflict with the original plugin, but that may be a moot point by now.

Brett
Ok, I had a brain fart. The event prefix is the name of the class. That's hardcoded into EG. But if I name my class MceRemote, MceRemote will show up twice in the Add Plugin UI, which would confuse too many users. So for now (maybe this will change with 3.8 and the changes to the plugin implementation) I'm sticking with MceRemote_Vista. Sorry for the confusion.

@rexian - The problem with what you are doing is that both HID and EG are responding to the same events. You should use one or the other, or it is too easy to break your setup. I'm looking at the possibility of implementing the Mce commands into EG/this plugin. But I'm not going to support a mode that would likely confuse most users. If you REALLY want to go down that path, you can look at editing your install.py script to not remove the HID registry keys.

Brett

rexian

Post by rexian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:16 pm

stottle wrote: @rexian - The problem with what you are doing is that both HID and EG are responding to the same events. You should use one or the other, or it is too easy to break your setup. I'm looking at the possibility of implementing the Mce commands into EG/this plugin. But I'm not going to support a mode that would likely confuse most users. If you REALLY want to go down that path, you can look at editing your install.py script to not remove the HID registry keys.
Brett
I agree, with this new service approach, both EG and HID receive the IR commands and might cause confusion. If the MC commands can be implemented within the plugin, that'd be the best solution.

BTW, I don't have HID keys mapped for other applications in EG. So with HID enabled, everything is fine for me (for now at least). I have reinstalled the service after commenting the "AddOrRemoveHID(True)" call from the install definition in install.py. Thanks for the hint.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:51 pm

stottle wrote:Ok, I had a brain fart. The event prefix is the name of the class. That's hardcoded into EG. But if I name my class MceRemote, MceRemote will show up twice in the Add Plugin UI, which would confuse too many users. So for now (maybe this will change with 3.8 and the changes to the plugin implementation) I'm sticking with MceRemote_Vista. Sorry for the confusion.

Code: Select all

def __start__(self):
   self.info.eventPrefix = "MceRemote"
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Brett,

disaster, don't know what happened but EG shows the commands when i press the MCE button but doesn't perform anything in the action list associated with that button press.

what could cause this ?

I uninstalled the service and rebooted then installed the service again rebooted the computer once again.

still the same !

what should i do ?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:44 pm

@Bitmonster

Thanks for the tip
predatorftp wrote:Brett,

disaster, don't know what happened but EG shows the commands when i press the MCE button but doesn't perform anything in the action list associated with that button press.
I'm not sure I understand. I think you are saying that EG is showing an MceRemote_Vista event when you press a button, but the actions associated with that event (in an EG macro) aren't running? If so, that has nothing to do with the service or the plugin, but rather something in EG itself. I'd check to make sure your macros are enabled and the event within the macro matches the event in the log.

If I misunderstand, please clarify.

Brett

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:09 pm

stottle wrote:@Bitmonster

Thanks for the tip
predatorftp wrote:Brett,

I'm not sure I understand. I think you are saying that EG is showing an MceRemote_Vista event when you press a button, but the actions associated with that event (in an EG macro) aren't running? If so, that has nothing to do with the service or the plugin, but rather something in EG itself. I'd check to make sure your macros are enabled and the event within the macro matches the event in the log.

If I misunderstand, please clarify.

Brett
Sorry for the panic, you are correct, the problem is that all the functions that i assigned were to MCEremote and not to mcevista...

now i will have to change all of them to the corresponding mcevista :(

another strange thing happens now, the internal light in the receiver is all ways on. looks like the receiver is picking up signals from i don't know where. but the thing is the log is full of not understandable received cods ...
it didn't happen before, looks like the sensibility of the receiver might have changed ? duno.

Example of what i get:
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1C
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.42F0FD0FFE08B701FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.10943D6BF1F070
MCE_Vista.Unknown.17C3C35FA93FF21C3FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.143F017E1FFC370
MCE_Vista.Unknown.143F5F5E07FE0B707FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.4F0C3F03FE1CA28
MCE_Vista.Unknown.5F470E5EBC7F030
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
MCE_Vista.Unknown.7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC

Edit:
Amazing news !
when my LCD TV is on the Receiver is going completely nuts ! receiving all sorts of strange signals, once i turn the tv off the receiver stops picking up this signals, what can cause this since when a tv is emitting IR signals ?
thanks