New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
stottle
Plugin Developer

Re: New way to get MCE Remote signals in EG (for Vista/Win7)

Post by stottle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 pm

I believe I've figured out why predatorftp is having problems.

The original code had the ability to work with XP Mce Remotes or Vista Mce Remotes. Since most people were having trouble connecting to the Vista device, I only included that code in the service. While you can't (to my knowledge) use a Vista receiver with XP, you can use an XP receiver on Vista. The original plugin will work, but my service currently won't work.

I'll see what I can do to add it back in (it's a completely different set of code). But for now, my service will only work with Vista MCE receivers.

Brett

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 pm

that sounds reasonable. Mine works fine with the new plugin and it is a vista version.

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 pm

My MS-MCE remote also doesn't work anymore under Win7/x86.

While we are at this XP/Vista/Win7 differences:
Do you plan to backport the service for XP also sometime? From what I recall from the older plugin, it was mostly some differences in the way the device has to be opened.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 am

Bitmonster -

The one that doesn't work is an XP receiver, correct? Not the one that already worked with my Service?

As for including XP support (both for the OS and/or XP devices on Vista/Win7), I will look into what is involved. I know XP used a completely different threading process, so the differences aren't small.

Brett

rexian

Post by rexian » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:40 am

I just installed the MSI from 8/19 and after restarting I can see the service running, but EG (R1187) doesn't receive any IR commands regardless of what privilege I run it with. I didn't disable HID though.

I am running x64 7 RTM and installed the x64 MSI. And the remote I have is this. Before installing the MSI, EG used to receive the IR commands if run elevated.

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 am

rexian wrote:I just installed the MSI from 8/19 and after restarting I can see the service running, but EG (R1187) doesn't receive any IR commands regardless of what privilege I run it with. I didn't disable HID though.

I am running x64 7 RTM and installed the x64 MSI. And the remote I have is this. Before installing the MSI, EG used to receive the IR commands if run elevated.
Based on the comments on Amazon, that is probably a Vista remote. You didn't say that you deleted the MceRemote plugin and installed the MceRemote_Vista plugin. It won't work unless you switch to the MceRemote_Vista plugin.

Brett

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:33 am

Hi.

Firstly, EG is just a marvel. Two years then I discovered it. I've completely re-implemented my home theatre and remotes as a consequence. Thank you Bitmonster.

I am another one of those with a Vista Ultimate and a XP Receiver, and had the same symptoms when I tried MCE_Vista.

If Stottle has time to add the extra code, that we much appreciated - I have felt uncomfortable having to run EG using an administrator account.

Cheers,
DavidY

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:30 am

stottle wrote: The one that doesn't work is an XP receiver, correct? Not the one that already worked with my Service?
No, it works with the 8/14/2009 package, but not with the one from 8/19/09.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

rexian

Post by rexian » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm

stottle wrote:
rexian wrote:I just installed the MSI from 8/19 and after restarting I can see the service running, but EG (R1187) doesn't receive any IR commands regardless of what privilege I run it with. I didn't disable HID though.

Based on the comments on Amazon, that is probably a Vista remote. You didn't say that you deleted the MceRemote plugin and installed the MceRemote_Vista plugin. It won't work unless you switch to the MceRemote_Vista plugin.

Brett
Thanks Brett, it works perfectly now. Forgot to switch to MCE_Vista plugin :oops:

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I've uploaded a new version (see 1st post). This one should fix the problem with Vista receivers on Vista/Win7 that showed up in the 8/19/2009 release. Let me know if you are still having problems*.

I've also included decoders for pronto format codes, and added a UI to the transmit pronto code action to allow you to input pronto codes. It currently supports raw, RC5, RC5X, RC6 and RC6A codes (those that start with "0000", "0100", "5000", "5001", "6000" or "6001"). I also let you chose the transmit port, although I don't check to make sure it is valid yet. There is a repeat option in the configuration, but I haven't really tested this much.

*XP receivers still don't work. I'm still torn on that one, as I don't have such a receiver and Newegg no longer sells them. Is it worth it when Vista receivers are only $20?

Brett

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 pm

I can confirm, the MS v2 remote receives again with the new version. Blasting I currently can't test, as I have no blaster cables.

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:38 am

stottle wrote:I've uploaded a new version (see 1st post). This one should fix the problem with Vista receivers on Vista/Win7 that showed up in the 8/19/2009 release. Let me know if you are still having problems*.

I've also included decoders for pronto format codes, and added a UI to the transmit pronto code action to allow you to input pronto codes. It currently supports raw, RC5, RC5X, RC6 and RC6A codes (those that start with "0000", "0100", "5000", "5001", "6000" or "6001"). I also let you chose the transmit port, although I don't check to make sure it is valid yet. There is a repeat option in the configuration, but I haven't really tested this much.

*XP receivers still don't work. I'm still torn on that one, as I don't have such a receiver and Newegg no longer sells them. Is it worth it when Vista receivers are only $20?

Brett
If you ask me - then yes :) but the issue is not for new users that will obviously buy the vista version. it's for thous people that already have the XP version... please try to add the XP code.
I know that it takes allot of time from your part but it would be much appreciated by allot of people (at least 2 on my side).
I am willing to test anything you throw at me, in real time.

thanks

predatorftp

Post by predatorftp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm

hey i have a question to Bitmonster,

Why doesn't the plugin for MCE work with win-7, if i have admin rights and UAC off ?

isn't it supposed to work ? I thought the service brett is making is to by pass the access rights problem ?

Just wondering ...

thanks

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 pm

haha I finally got my home-made blaster to work with your new plugin. The emitter needs to be less than 3 inches from the device that I am trying to control, but I guess that's how the mce unit is supposed to work. It would be nice if I could amplify the signal somehow but I don't know anything about that. It is probably a very simple circuit for someone who knows how.

I'm attaching a pic of my hacked together blaster along with the remote that I stole the emitter from. You'll notice I don't even have any electrical tape...
IMG_2702.jpg

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:14 pm

so now that it works, the question is:

How can I store the code from the action "transmit last received code" so that i can re-use it?

Is there some way that I can convert the code to pronto? (I've never heard of pronto before this thread)

J