CEC Adapter not waking amp

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
nairnmonster

Re: CEC Adapter not waking amp

Post by nairnmonster » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 pm

You can remote my HTPC via teamviewer if you need and run some tests and so on if that is easier.

Thanks again for everything.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:31 am

Check and see if you have AVR audio checked off in your plugin config. If it isn't then check it and restart EG. Lets see if that gives it a kick in the ass to make the thing work right. I have suspicion that if it isn't checked off that it may solve the problem. If it is checked off then I am beside myself as to why the hell the issue is with it. I am going to have to keep on digging to see if I can locate the problem.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:32 am

and I may have to take up up on that remote desktop conntection thing if the above does not work properly.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:36 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:31 am
Check and see if you have AVR audio checked off in your plugin config. If it isn't then check it and restart EG. Lets see if that gives it a kick in the ass to make the thing work right. I have suspicion that if it isn't checked off that it may solve the problem. If it is checked off then I am beside myself as to why the hell the issue is with it. I am going to have to keep on digging to see if I can locate the problem.
I tried that when I first installed it all before messaging on here. I tried all possible options I could.

I'm no free tonight matey but tomorrow after 4pm GMT I am if you want to have a bash at it with TV?

Thanks again

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:53 pm

I am thinking I would like to have access to it so I can see what is happening. I literally duplicated what the cec tray was doing so that is why I am not sure what is taking place. There is some unfinished work with the Python connector to libCEC. this is not something I was doing, it is something the authors of libCEC were doing. It could be that the command exists to do what we want to do. But it dead ends and actually doesn't do anything, this is because the code has not been finished. I am going to take a look and see if it has been finished or not and if it hasn't I am going to have to finish it and recompile the thing.

I am going to also put into place a nasty little debugging program I wrote. It is going to tell me what data is being passed to where and also what data is being returned. It includes all file names and line numbers as well as source and destination function names. It is going to help knowing where things are doing and what data is being passed. This has happened before with other functions in libCEC where an argument will have a name of "logicalAddress" but it really needs to have the physicalAddress passed to it in order for it to work. What I will also probably do is separate the EG code form the libCEC code and run it standalone without EG. I can hammer out any kind of goofyness with the thing much faster that way and once I get it working correctly I can put the changes into place in the plugin. I will work on writing a simple python script that will initilize the CEC adapter and connect it to the AVR. see if it works or not. I am also going to do some reading to see the the function has been fully written into libCEC.

You said you were in Scotland correct??... I believe you are probably either 6 hours or 7 hours time difference from me. So if we are talking 4:00 your time that will be 9 or 10 AM my time. I will double check with the wife and make sure that I do not have anything that I have to do at that time. I may be sleeping who knows. I have a really messed up sleep schedule. last time I slept was from 6AM to 9AM Saturday morning. I will probably zonk out around 5 AM tonight. I can't tell you what time I will be up, or even if I will fall asleep. So we will have to play it by ear with respect to that. I may not get up until 11.. So if you do not hear from me don't think I skipped out on ya, it's probably because I am sleeping. As soon as I wake up I will PM you.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi matey,

I've kind of dropped off the earth a little. Moved house... again... and time was not on my side.

Finally got everything back and setup.

I'm very keen to get this working as I want to eliminate my amp from being the pass-through for visuals. For some reason there is no way to disable video processing on it and it is affecting the image quality of the HTPC and Sky. So I want to have both Sky and the HTPC connected directly to the TV. The HTPC has dual out HDMI so can pass audio to the amp and visual to the TV. The Sky box I plan to pass audio via toslink.

Can I still have the tv turn the amp on and tune to the desired input on the amp with just one CEC+ adapter or would this require more?

Hope you are well and thanks for all the help before.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:09 pm

That depends.

CEC is a bus, so everything you want to control has to be connected via an HDMI cable. Now whether or not your video card supports CEC or not and if it has the 2 HDMI lines are connected together is the question of the day. I do not have an answer to this.You will have to hook it all up and try it.

If your receiver supports CEC I would think that is has a LAN connection on it.This might be the way to go. and leave the CEC adapter to control the TV.

nairnmonster

Post by nairnmonster » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:36 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:09 pm
That depends.

CEC is a bus, so everything you want to control has to be connected via an HDMI cable. Now whether or not your video card supports CEC or not and if it has the 2 HDMI lines are connected together is the question of the day. I do not have an answer to this. You will have to hook it all up and try it.

If your receiver supports CEC I would think that is has a LAN connection on it. This might be the way to go. and leave the CEC adapter to control the TV.
So the HTPC does not have CEC, only just the PulseEight. Everything is connected via HDMI. The amp does have a lan port and is connected but don't know if it can be controlled like that to change input. Will have a look, it's a Onkyo TX-NR 838.

I'm off tomorrow for 3 days and plan to strip it all down, connect it up and see what I can do.

Will update you on what works and how.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 am

Onkyo receiver should not be an issue to control over lan.